Kreator
Hordes of Chaos

good

by Jorn van Schaïk USER (172 Reviews)
January 13th, 2009 | 75 replies | 17,414 views

Review Summary: Occasionally Kreator refer to their old selves on this record, but it's mostly just a modern version of the thrash movement.

The thrash revival as of late has seen many bands return to their respective roots. Well-known bands such as Metallica and Slayer seem to hark back to their music as of old, with differing results. But it's also when we dig somewhat deeper into the genre that we find old and new bands harking back to the glory days of yore. Among bands such as Exodus or Evile, or even Teutonic thrashers such as Destruction, there is a yearning for the days of old. And none exemplify this trend of harking back the old better than Kreator did on 2005's Enemy of God, which was a direct return to their thrash days from the 80s, after an experimental and heavily criticised phase in the 1990s.

Its followup, Hordes of Chaos, musically continues much in the trend of Enemy of God. The album basically reads like any odd Kreator album, with a more modern production value (thus sounding closer to a latter-day Slayer than, say, Coma of Souls or Pleasure to Kill). The growling, snarling riffs abound on this record, as do Petrozza's familiar shouts and yells; we are greeted from the opening title track by a much-deteriorated yelp. In fact, this album might be compared to Kreator's version of Christ Illusion; a sort of middle ground between the really old thrash days of the band with a more modern sounding production.

There are, however, a few elements that set this album apart from the older Kreator work, and this manifests itself mainly in the use of more prominent melody. From the opener onwards, not only do vicious riffs whirl around in the thrashing maelstrom, but Petrozza and friends also unleash a blistering amount of melodic solos, not far from the Swedish style of melodic death metal (think Darkane or old In Flames). In fact, I don't recall Kreator ever sounding this melodic on any record; however, this is a good thing, as it makes the material more palatable and less overwhelming on first listen.

Despite the use of melody, however, there's nothing new under the sun. Parts from Amok Run could have been taken from any odd Slayer album circa Seasons. There's also a bit less speed to the record, also exemplifying that odd thrash trend of old bands not quite hitting the highs as they used to in their early youth. Occasionally this midtempo plod seems to have bogged the album down in parts; songs become indistinguishable from each other, and the monotonous croak of Petrozza doesn't really aid matters (again, not unlike Slayer's Tom Araya, he sounds nothing like the Mille of old).

This album is not a definite failure, though. Kreator have definitely succeeded in creating some good songs (particularly the first couple tracks are really good), and none of the music here seem to be explicitly bad (apart from that one riff in Warcurse which is just a pinch harmonic held over and over). We've heard better from this veteran band by now, but at times Kreator hint at their old selves, which means that it's still a worthy buy for anyone who's been following the band for its 20-year-plus lifespan now. If this is the album we're gonna get from post-heyday Kreator, at least it's something we can feel comfortable nodding our heads to. And that was something desperately needed in this metal neck of the woods.

Frank Turner Tape Deck HeartBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Metallica MetallicaSlayer World Painted Blood
Katatonia Night Is the New DayRammstein Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin (4.5)
Almost flawless...

January 13th 2009

Tough review to write. It all really sounds the same.

Meatplow

good review

I enjoy the early releases somewhat, and Enemy of God is fine by me.

myhigherpie
January 13th 2009

well that was fast. This just came out today here in america. did this leak before the release date?

January 13th 2009

this leaked before the new year

Phantom
January 13th 2009

I downloaded this. Couldn't get past halfway. All the songs sound incredibly similar.This Message Edited On 01.13.09

Curse.
January 13th 2009

It all bleeds together, I don't really like it either.

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

jrowa001

i like this album. could possibly be dropped to a 3, but im a fan of Kreator

Xxplosive
January 13th 2009

I listened to this when it was first linked, but I really didn't pay attention to it. Ill relisten because I loved Enemy of God.

ConorMichaelJoseph
January 13th 2009

Never even knew about this. I have to hear it!

south_of_heaven 11

album is solid

enemy of god sucked.

Dethtrasher
January 13th 2009

I will check this out in the future, I prefer their older stuff. And what Grant said. I used to like that album but the only song I listen to is ''Suicide Terrorist''.

SlaveLabor
January 13th 2009

I like Enemy of God but i must check this out

hellohelicopter

great review.

Haven't heard this yet, but the review kinda said what I was expecting. Will try it anyway because I liked Enemy of God but we'll see...

Rugter32
January 13th 2009

I like this album. The title track is completely badass. Warcurse and Demon Prince are awesome too.

rebb
January 15th 2009

Why do you keep replacing "old" with "odd"?

The album basically reads like any odd Kreator album,

January 15th 2009

It's an expression! It didn't necessarily mean old in either sentence though... it's more like any odd album, any particular album that band did, could have come off any one of them

the age has nothing to do with the phrase you know

jingledeath
January 16th 2009

I thought this was a lot better than Enemy of God but it grew off too quickly.

TheFlightOfTheNazgul
January 22nd 2009

Great Album...
It's better than EoG...
This is a 4.5 for me
Hordes of chaos,escalation & radical resistance sucks

silvr
January 26th 2009

3? I beg to differ. What a great fukin album.

thrasher1348