This or the Apocalypse
Monuments

good

by Ryan Williford USER (48 Reviews)
January 8th, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is not their breakout album, but if they keep it up their sophomore effort will be.

Band: This Or The Apocalypse
Album: Monuments
Label: Lifeforce Records
[a]http://www.myspace.com/thisortheapocalypse[/a]
Rating: 3

Everyone knows Veil of Maya right? If not, it is not a bad idea to check out their first album. Anyway, Veil of Maya is one of the bands that is for a thinking man with their complexity. Well now we have a Metalcore equivalent in the incarnation of This Or The Apocalypse. Hailing from Lancaster, PA and weighing in as a five-piece, This Or The Apocalypse, TOTA, has be described as “the thinking man’s mosh” and released their debut Monuments in the middle of September.

Right when the opener, “No Horizons”, starts, you can hear some of the complexity of the guitar riffs. These riffs for the most part are found throughout the album with the drummer matching their complexity note by note sometimes. The guitarists defiantly have skill to write these types of riffs and then play them perfectly. One big problem though is they sometimes have the sameish sound coming out but in a different pattern, making the songs sound the same when they are not. The drummer has a somewhat easier role in TOTA’s sound. He just takes what the guitarists do and transplants it to his drum set.

The problem with this is that he uses a lot of double bass, a commonplace in metal nowadays, and sometimes it fits but sometimes it fails poorly. When his drumming is dead on, it makes the song what it is and fits the band perfectly. When he misses, it makes it look like the band wrote each part separately, lucky for the listener this only happens a few time. One thing I found magnificent about the game, is their vocalist. Where other Metalcore bands are growling and singing, TOTA is just screaming and letting the instruments dictate the band’s sound.

This works wonders for the band to standout in the overflow of Metalcore bands out there. Luckily for TOTA, they are a young band that knows where they want to mold their sound. They are already on the road to that sound, and will benefit greatly for their touring and them being signed to Lifeforce. This is not their breakout album, but if they keep it up their sophomore effort will be.

Onward To Olympas This World Is Not My HomeGreeley Estates No Rain, No Rainbow
brokeNCYDE I'm Not a Fan, but the Kids Like It!Decyfer Down Crash
The Sleeping What It TakesArise And Ruin Night Storms Hailfire
Ryan Cleary (4)
Excellent metalcore from new kids on the block This or the Apocalypse. Could these guys be the savio...

south_of_heaven 11
January 8th 2009

ok don't capitalize genre names (i.e. metalcore not Metalcore).
secondly I'm sorry but I can't help laughing at the bands name.

gaslightanthem
January 8th 2009

thirdly band is kind of bland

ikarus
January 8th 2009

enjoyable but. id like to overgeneralize the album with the term:

Poly-rhythmic Chugging.

Psychotruck
January 8th 2009

I've always hated that "thinking man's ___" as a label...it's so pathetically pretentious...

ToWhatEnd
January 8th 2009

Really? I've only heard three songs (or so I thought they were different songs but they might as well have been the same song with different titles) and it was pretty much chug chug riff chug sweep, repeat. These guys aren't bad but definitely are nipping at the heels of their peers and will most likely be doing so until they throw the towel in.

withintention
January 8th 2009

This looks so generic. I'm sorry but metalcore is starting to turn me off instantly nowadays.

Pebster49
January 8th 2009

decent but nothing new. Good review though, short and to the point

rasputin
January 8th 2009

Maybe you should stop using words when you don't know what they mean, because it results in really stupid sentences.

What are they defying? And if this is a typo for 'definitely', then that's a pretty poor effort.

Phantom
January 8th 2009

This album is pretty damn boring. I downloaded it and can't listen to it anymore. Pretty generic. Deletion iminent.

EDIT: Veil Of Maya are pretty bland too. Way to ruin a Cynic track name.This Message Edited On 01.08.09

BridgeToSolace
January 19th 2009

eh, this album is solid, but nothing more.

a 2.5 or a 3.

It's fine to listen to, but instantly forgettable. But to their credit they don't make me want to change the song.

AngelPhoenix
January 19th 2009

My thoughts exactly.

Hysterical
January 20th 2009

I could have sworn I heard a better version of this album a year before it came out...The band was from Lancaster, Pa. Oh wait a second...I recall now...it was a different band now...August Burns Red. Only ABR is flat out better in every form. On top of it, TOTA is not good live...what so ever. I just don't understand why bands can't come out with there own sound...or for god sakes be talented.

BridgeToSolace
January 21st 2009

There's a lot more riffing and tappage on this album than August Burns Red.

And really, don't complain about not finding your own sound and then extol August Burns Red. I love them, but they're the epitome of generic metalcore, not something that's actually different.

Phantom
January 21st 2009

Very true.

Burnyourface
August 5th 2009

who is the epitome of NON generic metalcore if not these guys or ABR?

Martijntje
January 26th 2010

I think their name is quite cewl !

SpottedTrout
May 2nd 2010

decent album, hopefully they will mature for their next one though

Curse.