Dinosaur Jr.
Bug

by Benjamin J. USER (1 Reviews)
December 29th, 2008 | 13 replies | 6,225 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: After "You're Living All Over Me", J. Mascis, Lou Barlow and Murph succeed to impress us with a pretty cool noise album that came out on the same year as Sonic Youth's great "Daydream Nation".

Well, it isn't "You're Living All Over Me" but "Bug" is pretty good and it is certainly one of the best albums by the band. (although I have listened to only a few).

I would say that Bug has a dirtier sound that its predecessor: the cover gives a clue, look at this, it is really something dirty, something noisy. If the guitar is less impressive on this one (yes guys," You're Living All Over Me" is one of the best albums for that thing, J. Mascis is a god), the other instruments are equally great.

So, I can see people are sometimes using the word "grunge" to define one of their genres... Seriously, do you really think this is grunge ? (You must think I don't like grunge but I love it: Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands and I also like Nirvana and Alice in Chains) Well no, this isn't grunge, even if it's only a sub-genre or whatever it is called, especially that the word "grunge" is only a commercial term invented by journalists to define the Seattle scene. This is Noise, but this isn't noise (confusing, isn't it ?). This is some noise with talent... And you know, the term "noise" annoys me: why calling that "noise" ? It's true, it's far from being noise... Oh people, I'm angry with genres today and now, this poor band has no genre. Oh, you are going to say indie rock but i will tell you that indie is too big and all...

WELL, this album, we must talk about it ! "Bug" is a honest and modest noise record (finally, it isn't too bad to say that). The great songs "Freak Show", "Yeah We Know" and "Budge" are really the highlights here. Maybe another listen and i will end up calling all the songs great.

Oh, and I almost forgot: "Don't", THIS IS A REAL NOISE SONG, BUT GOD I LOVE IT.

4.2
plugged my butthole (5)
The music for all emotions and all times. If you're sad, listen to Bug. If you're happy, listen to B...

MrKite
December 29th 2008

not too good of a review at all. you rambled for most of it and said almost nothing about the music other than that it was hard to put a name to it.
you gotta talk about the good, the bad, and the mediocre in an album.
just go more in depth next time.
freak scene is the fucking shit. This Message Edited On 12.29.08

Shadowskos
December 29th 2008

you wrote one paragraph about the album.

December 29th 2008

albums cool, but other than a few select songs this would have been a week outing for the Dino

and weak for the dino that is.

DAAAYYYUUUMMM SNNNNAAAPPPPPPSSSS

wut

December 29th 2008

oh i get it now but i dont get how its relevant to the album or review

December 29th 2008

I don't get how this review is relevant to this groundbreaking album.

TheFoxBen
December 30th 2008

Well, i must say my review is terrible. I tried to make something funny I guess, also this is my first review in English but thanks for the comments, my next reviews won't take an entire paragraph to talk about the genre (well, if I do other reviews...)

MrKite
December 30th 2008

don't stop man. just focus more on the important details.

robin
December 30th 2008

hey man, this is a fine review for a first on the site. all you need to do is remember this site usualyl values a bit of a more fleshed out review; write paragraphs that concentrate on different things and describe the music in detail. don't stop, especially seeing as your taste is great.

DarthMann
August 22nd 2012

cos if i need a friend its still you

jayt851
August 29th 2012

This is a great album but not my favorite but not far behind