Celestia
Frigidiis Apotheosia

by magictikkleCwicked USER (2 Reviews)
December 21st, 2008 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Splendidly atmospheric.

I enjoy Black Metal music for the intense atmosphere it can create when its in tip-top shape. Celestia is hardly unfamiliar with the genre, their past work has never let me down and Frigidiis Apotheosia is no exception to that quality. Its ethereal construction of its style is harmoniously captivating; the guitars don't cease at the boundaries of heavily distorted, pounding rhythms, instead yearning to convey an emotionally adept side of the band that will caress your eardrums with melodious perfection. The album's accessibility is impressively high for its category of music but that isn't to say it strays from the brooding style of BM. Frigidiis Apotheosia is an underrated masterpiece.

While relatively brief, the album manages to encompass a variety of musical genres. Celestia modifies their typical unwelcoming vibe, and compliment Noktu Geiistmortt's extremely rough vocals with melodically pleasing instrumental work. If you aren't familiar with Noktu's vocal style he distorts his voice to an incredible level with a sinister, serpent-like growl. The album begins stampeding with 'She's Dead', a guitar-driven heavy hitter that serves as an exciting opener; dreary, dense, and ardent. The mood is officially set however Frigidiis doesn't cease to digress to attach a higher level of emotion to the music. You'll experience imperturbable moments of clarity, as well as loud devilish fervidness.

The album evolves from 'She's Dead' in a harmonizing way. 'A Plaintive Cry Merely Echo' is likely the most accessible song on the whole album. Its also an example of the path Celestia took for this album; there aren't any songs that are forcibly difficult to get into. Even if you will eventually have a negative opinion on the music itself I seriously doubt you'll have trouble pinpointing what you don't like. It is a morbid album, but in a more expressive way than Celestia's work in the past and some other BM bands as well.

The acoustic/clean guitar work on the album is what really hooked me. From 'Admirable Eros Abstraction' to various other tracks the clean harmonies are very apparent and add a formidably hopeful atmosphere to such typically dark music. The guitar work is never exactly complex but the notes are picked so perfectly the flow is literally unstoppable; consistency at its finest. The acoustic playing on 'A Regrettable Misinterpretation of Mournfulness' combined with the water-drop samples in the beginning of the song is the albums finest moment of pure musical bliss, a must-listen. The song progresses into a heavy rocker without sacrificing the monumental beauty of the track.

Overall I think this album, while underrated, doesn't need recognition to serve its purpose as one of the finest pieces of music released this year. From the deafening bass-drumming to placid group choruses, Frigidiis Apotheosia reinvented my view of Black Metal and melody delivery alike. A perfect wintry atmosphere for such a snowy night.

AngelPhoenix
December 22nd 2008

Wow man, sick first review. Will definitely check this out.

I would advise against the wordiness though, you have a lot of descriptive phrases that are a bit overmuch. "effectively expressive", "vast variety", "formidable hopeful", "monumental beauty".
There's a few others. Most of these situations would do fine with just one of those descriptive words. Other than that, solid.

magictikkleCwicked
December 22nd 2008

Yeah I was unsure about those word combos too, I'll proof-read it again, thanks for the feedback. And yes you should definitely check this out, its wonderful.

Zoo
December 22nd 2008

Solid review. I remember downloading this at some point in the year but never ended up listening to it. I'll see if I can find it.

joshuatree
December 22nd 2008

i remember listening to this and realizing it was bad

December 25th 2008

My man. I love you for reviewing this. Nothing I could do to promote this band went anywhere so my props go to you my man.

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

magictikkleCwicked
December 25th 2008

I think some Sputnik staffers may have had this on their top albums of the year if it got more attention on this site. Outside of this site though, it is pretty appreciated; a couple of my friends were raving about it and were actually the ones to let me borrow their copy resulting in this review. But I'm happy you liked the album, thanks for the feedback.

Hawks
February 20th 2010

Well this is some great shit right here.

October 6th 2011

Shit slays, especially for my ghastly late night wanderings into the unknown.