Cryptopsy
And Then You'll Beg

by ThePanicInNeedlePark USER (3 Reviews)
July 15th, 2005 | 28 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

When people think about canadian quintet Cryptopsy they often start talking about how much of a break-through album "None So Vile" was in death metal, not often do we get to hear about the gems they released after that.

First things first, we have to pay homage to the drums on this album, Flo Mounier once again shows us why he is probably the best drummer in metal EVER! The drums on this record are sick, you think a blast beat cant get any faster, then he doubles the speed of it!

Next to mention, the only bad part of the CD, and quite a significant bad part too, the vocals. Mike Disalvo just doesnt do it for me on the vocal front, he sounds like he should be in a hardcore band like Agnostic Front, and his high pitch screams sound like some rubbish band you see down the local youth club.

The guitar work on this album is absolutely fantastic, the riffs are often comprised of chords moving too fast for the average human to play. There is alot of nice solos on this album, which is a shock for death metal because the solo's usually sound rubbish. Theres alot of really fast tremmolo picking on this album, which is awsome, the guitarists show complete comtrol of their wrists by switiching from tremolo picking to chord riffs with ease.

Last but certainly not least, the most under-rated part of Cryptopsy, and my personal favorite, Eric Langlois, the bass player! Langlois is probably one of the best finger picking bassists in death metal. He keeps so tight to all the guitar riffs all the time, but often you can hear him playing slap riffs too, especially on the first track behind the dual guitar solo's!

Track by Track synopsis.

1.Opens with the sound of train...noisey riff...train. Insanity. The first riff on this song is excellent, but they play it perhaps a little too much for my liking. Theres a nice riff about 2 and a half minutes in, its rather slow guitar part, with excellent fast drums, I like it when bands do this. Heads up to Eric Langlois slapping riff in the solo to this song, it sounds like Les Claypool has just joined Cryptopsy.

2. Probably my least favorite of the album, I think this is because I had the MP3 of this song before I got the CD. The main riff, is abit cheesey but its really catchy. Theres some ace pauses in this song, Tghis band have ultimate control even when playing in different time signatures. This song contains another well executed solo. Theres a really stommping break down about three quarters the way into this song, it sounds awsome because everything slows down. I like the way this song finishes, With some tight puases.

3. This song has one of the best intros Ive ever heard! guitar riff, with the rest of the band doing some tight grabs, straight into a super fast blast beat. I dont like the delay effect on the vocals, they bring the track down. This song is really in your face, it doesnt relent at all, until a clean guitar break around two thirds into the song, which is only about two bars long.

4.The opening riff is rather bland but is awsome the second time round when they variate it. Theres a panning guitar break in this song that sounds really cool, quit a strange palm mute rythm. at about 1.40 there is a crazy drum part! switching between cymbols and snare in a really obscure rythm.

5. The intro riff to this song is awsome, the band plays for about 2 beats, then there is 2 beats of pull-offs by one of the guitarits. This is another song that hits you in the face with a fast blast beat near enough right away, but it doesnt stay there for too long, infact most of this album doesnt hang on riffs too much, this is what I want to hear in metal, loads of riffs! There is a part in the middle of this song I really dont like, theres alot of really high tremolo picking, the bass sounds awsome totally keeping up, but because the guitars are so high it just sounds really empty.

6. Another amazing intro riff perfectly executed by Cryptopsy, this time it is Lanlois's turn to bring the song in. Its a bass intro followed by guitar, I cant explain why I like the riff, I suppose I could call it...creepy?....Theres a brutal break down in this song, Im not a fan of break downs, but there is an awsome open B palm mute one in this song.

7. Another grabing riff, into a thrash beat, then a vocal break which actually sounds quite cool. Theres a really awsome riff in this song, the bass plays a slap riff, then the guitars come in and totally change the feel of the riff, they make it sound heavy, but still keep the bouncing slap feel. Quite abit of this album relies on gaps to change the feel of the song, and this song is no exception, but I really like the gaps, they arnt always the same length and are really tightly executed.

8. There is an total head nodding riff on this song, everything goes really slow, probably ther slowest moment on this album, totally doom. The solo's in this song are really good too, they are kind of like the noise solo's you usually find on a Cannibal Corpse CD. The best type of solo ;-).

9. Last track on the album, bit cliche, a digeredoo. But this one sounds damn fine. At first it sounds like a normal digeredoo, then the bloke starts screaming down it, and it sounds like a herd of angry elephants being chased by angry monkeys. After two minutes of this we are treated to another ample helping of Cryptopsy! The digeredoo is still in the song in parts, behind the vocals, and t makes the vocals sound ALOT better, I actually really like the vocals with the digeredoo behind them. This song has a totally amazing groove riff in it, where Flo only plays cymbol, snare, cymbol, snare, and believe me its a treat for the ears, although the drums are really simple the whole thing sounds really groovey (I dont usually like groove metal like Pantera either!). The track finishes on the sound of a train going further away...like maybe you just been run over? ;)

All in all this is probably one of my favorite technical death metal albums, I just wish I had the technical lingo to match it. Dont let the vocals detere you from this album because it is AMAZING.

3.3