Opeth
Burden

by Trey Spencer STAFF
December 12th, 2008 | 89 replies | 28,148 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Download "Would?" and forget that the rest ever existed.

A few weeks back, Opeth released news of a very “special” digital EP that would contain three rare tracks. Despite the use of the words “special” and “rare” in the news article, the actual content seemed very underwhelming. Additionally, the whole decision to call this an EP instead of a single seemed wrong. I know I’m just arguing semantics here, but why call this an EP in the first place? In my mind an EP should be new material or at least mostly new material. This, on the other hand, is basically the radio edit for Burden and two B-sides. Despite their questionable labeling decision, the main focus should still be the music but it turns out that it is lacking too.

The EP starts off with the edited version of Burden from their Watershed album. The seven minute original version suffered from being overly long without enough going on to justify the length. This edited version fixes that problem by removing all the extraneous sections and consolidating the song down to a compact four minute offering. The problem is that fixing the length issue probably just caused more harm than good. The reason is that people who liked the original probably aren’t going to like sections being removed and the others that found the original boring are probably going to find this version boring as well. Unfortunately, things don’t get any more interesting on the following track, “Mellotron Heart”.

“Mellotron Heart” is a reinterpretation of the song “Porcelain Heart” through the use of a mellotron, subtle percussion, and clean singing. “Porcelain Heart” was a tolerable song on Watershed, but to strip it down to almost nothing isn’t creative or special, it’s just boring. Quite simply, they managed to take a song that didn’t have a lot of life to begin with and completely remove the rest of it. The only real reason to be interested in this EP is because of the cover of Alice in Chain’s song “Would?”. If you’ve heard the original then you’ll recognize it instantly here. Opeth’s cover is a fairly faithful recreation that doesn’t ruin it by attempting to add growls or a heaviness that the original didn’t have. It’s definitely not a “must-have” song, but it was certainly cool to hear Opeth’s version of it after all the hype on the net.

If there is one thing I can thank the band for it was their decision to release this digitally, thus allowing people to only download what they want. Opeth’s cover of “Would?” is certainly worth the 99 cents that it costs (or whatever comparable amount it is everywhere else), but it wouldn’t be worth the $2.97 it would cost if you had to buy the whole thing. With that in mind, I would definitely recommend that fans of the band log into iTunes or Amazon and download “Would?” as soon as they can, but don’t be tempted by the other two tracks or you’ll be sorry.

Anathema Distant SatellitesFlotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014
Mindcage Our Own DevicesFates Warning Darkness in a Different Light
Queensryche QueensrycheSkinny Puppy Weapon
2.8
good

December 12th 2008

This was a very quick writeup, but it's only three songs.
I was actually surprised that after three days no one had written about this yet. I'm sure this will prompt someone to dispute my opinion, at least.

fireaboveicebelow

nah, I'd agree, good review

rasputin
December 12th 2008

yeah nice one Willie, this was expected.

ninjuice
December 12th 2008

nice review, of course I don't see how anyone could fail a review of three songs.

Thanks... I think ;)

Edit: Their cover of "Would?" really is worth checking out.This Message Edited On 12.12.08

Essence
December 12th 2008

I was wondering if this was worth checking out, but then again, I'm not the most giant Opeth fan.

jingledeath
December 12th 2008

I really liked Would? and Burden is one of my favorite tracks off Watershed and so I gave it a 3.5.
Great review man.

Pebster49
December 12th 2008

ya would? is awesome. They made a decent song to a pretty kick ass song

Crysis
December 12th 2008

Review sucks because it didn't give an Opeth album a 5/5.

Just kidding. In all honesty I bet this will be terrible.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

Nagrarok
December 12th 2008

I never minded Burden on Watershed. It isn't that bad, really.

Porcelain Heart > Mellotron Heart.

I'm a big fan of AiC's Would?, but this version just doesn't do it for me. Especially Mikael's vocals irritate me, they don't fit the song.

SylentEcho
December 12th 2008

I can see where the reviewer is coming from, but I enjoyed this EP nonetheless.

December 12th 2008

I think he did a good job on Would? My main concern was that he was going to ruin it with death vocals somewhere in the song. When it ended and he hadn't, I was happy.

Nagrarok
December 12th 2008

You're right there. Death vocals would have ruined it completely, but still I feel AiC's version is a 100x better. I'm not saying Opeth did a bad job on it, but it feels as a unnecessary song.

December 12th 2008

Of course AiC's version is 100x better. It's one of their best songs. Cover songs are always unneccessary (mostly), the main point is to just enjoy hearing how one band interprets another band's song.

ahaha what a dumb ep

DoctorNurse
December 12th 2008

I actually think Opeth should of tried to add their own spin on it. As it stands there is really no reason to listen to it over the AIC version which, as others agree, is better.

Altmer
December 12th 2008

I like Opeth's interpretation, it's moody. Mike even attempts to give it that drawl that Layne has.

Zippermouth
December 12th 2008

Never even heard this band...

ohhhcomely

that's weird.

December 12th 2008

7 minutes Burden slays. I find a 4 minute shaving to be quite offensive and it probaly took the best parts out.