Common
Universal Mind Control

1.5
very poor

by Robbie Scott USER (3 Reviews)
December 10th, 2008 | 28 replies | 3,249 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Universal Mind Control is a jazz-influenced rapper trying to make dance music for the hordes of club-oriented rap fans. Simply put, it's boring, uninspired, and dull to the point of anger.

In recent years, Common has been worshiped like a hip hop warrior for all of our souls. Appreciated by critics, the common man, and just about everybody else in between, Common has become one of the most popular rappers with some sort of lyrical ability. It’s hard not to either, his last few albums have been excellent works of hip hop, even his last album, which while was called boring by a few, most appreciated the album as another excellent effort for the rapper. However, that album was probably the worst effort Common had ever put out, boring beats and somewhat uninspired flowing, and yet because of his lyrics, the album was automatically acclaimed. Unfortunately for the experienced rapper, Universal Mind Control, the rappers eighth album, lacks everything that made the rapper good.

Universal Mind Control is Common’s second attempt at serious experimentation. His first attempt was on Electric Circus, and this album was incredibly successful, mixing elements of soul, electronic, hip hop and many other genres making for an enjoyable release. This album is similar to that, but a bit more oriented towards club hip hop, and the fact that that album was way more inspired than this is. Common flows like all he wants to do is make a couple dollars by appealing to the ladies. Drab and bland dance beats galore, every song is boring to the point of insanity. On this album, Common even lacks the lyrical ability of the mainstream rappers that manage to make these uninspired dance track enjoyable, lacking the innovation or the charisma that he used to have.

In a way this album is fairly similar to 808s & Heartbreak of his label mate Kanye West. They’re albums that both experiments with a poppier sound, and both will probably represent a dramatic decline in fanship. The only difference is that, while both are fairly boring, 808s & Heartbreak at least hints at making emotional pop music, whereas Common’s new album lacks even that. Universal Mind Control is an absolute failure on Common’s part, with one feature saving it from being a flushable piece of crap (catchiness), and that feature is already way to present in music anyways. Not even die-hard Common fans will like this album.

1.9
poor
Tyler Munro EMERITUS (1.5)
Common should permanently stick to acting....

ninjuice
December 10th 2008

this is alright but IMO you should elaborate a little bit more.

Athom
December 10th 2008

shame. he usually puts out pretty good stuff.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

Tyler
December 10th 2008

You beat me. Mine will be up tomorrow.

This is the worst album I've heard all year.

JAV

1936 Comments

It’s hard not to either

Not sure what you meant to say there.

Drab and bland dance beats go-lore

Galore. ;)
Otherwise quick and to the point it it had just a little bit more info I would think it is good.

Tyler
December 10th 2008

Trust me, the length is fine. There's not much to say about this album other than "this is fucking awful common should lock himself in a cave after this".

heyseuss
December 10th 2008

I like 'Punch Drunk Love', but Common's been hanging out with all the wrong peeps.

AmericnZero02
December 10th 2008

Yeah this is a really weak record. "Announcement" is probably the only above average track here.

Amesy
December 10th 2008

Damn, shame to hear. Was looking forward to this

P13

Isn't the rapper's name Common? the album title is Universal Mind Control

December 10th 2008

Trust me, the length is fine. There's not much to say about this album other than "this is ****ing awful common should lock himself in a cave after this".

I completely agree with this.

AtavanHalen
December 10th 2008

LOL at the recommendations.
Fantastic review for a first.

December 10th 2008

thanks, i really wish this was my first review now.

Curse.

I actually really like this album, can't really explain why

AtavanHalen

Oh, Christ...Bastard?

Elijahwow

this album does way better than a 1.5 at least a 2.5 or higher I like the album

I actually really like this album, can't really explain why

Mr. Wrong Opinion is calling, he wants his WRONG OPINION back.

Oh, Christ...Bastard?

right. I am getting a little bored of bastard so i might write like 10 or 12 reviews on this account.This Message Edited On 12.10.08

AmericnZero02
December 10th 2008

LOL at the recommendations.

taylormemer
December 10th 2008

this is alright but IMO you should elaborate a little bit more.

I'm with Coke here, why elaborate more? The length is fine.

December 10th 2008

yeah there really is no reason to elaborate on this more.

Thor
December 11th 2008

Common flows like all he wants to do is make a couple dollars by appealing the ladies.

appealing to the ladies*

otherwise great review, this sounds like shit