Alexisonfire
Crisis

by Tari Ajadi USER (9 Reviews)
December 9th, 2008 | 41 replies | 3,553 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Alright, this is from our hearts, sincerity over simple chords, we make some mistakes, but it's a long time coming when you're giving it everything...

So, you’re probably wondering why I rated this album as a classic, right? In my mind, I view a classic album as a piece of music that has had a profound effect on not only my musical tastes but my outlook on life generally. Everyone has one of those albums right? You know, the one that marks that significant moment in your life when you finally realised who you are. This album did that for me. Back in late 06, I had just moved to a new school, and I tried my best to fit in, by listening to whatever music the “cool kids” were listening to, in hope of getting some respect. No dice. It wasn’t so much that I followed the crowd, more like I followed the followers. Then one day, I sat in front of my TV after a rough day, and saw 5 men with beards playing music like I had never heard in my life. The video, the music and the particular period in my life all seemed to combine into one cathartic moment.

After sitting for what seemed like years, I finally looked up the band and that song, (This Could Be Anywhere) and my journey began. After purchasing the CD, I sat down and just connected with the album on a level I had never felt before. The wandering guitar lines in melodic sections coupled with the heavy power-chorded riffs, the creative drumming and most importantly, the vocals. On one hand, you have George, who screams. However, unlike most bands with screaming parts in their music, he doesn’t over-power the other vocalists, nor does he barely get heard. He is always in the mix, bouncing off of the other vocalists, almost as if they were in a jamming session. Then, you have Dallas.
He is the band member I identified with most, simply because his parts seemed to be the most interesting musically. The melody and passion in his voice is stunning. Again, in difference to bands like (insert generic band here), he does not sound whiny or nasal. He sounds graceful and soulful; he never becomes grating. Of course there is Wade, with his gravely, beer-soaked squall, which fits so perfectly with the other vocal parts.

That’s the thing about Crisis. It seems like all the pieces of the puzzle have been put together; just...complete. Even the lyrics, while not being incredibly elaborate and poetic work incredibly. No cliches here. Even in the band’s first wholly relationship based song, they never seem corny. They manage to bring fresh takes on issues such as hatred of suburbia (Mailbox Arson), while talking about issues most bands wouldn’t even think of. (Boiled Frogs, Crisis) It’s genuine music that is from the heart, and it really spoke to me. As a musician, it opened up a whole world of new bands to listen to and new influences to draw from, and as a person, it helped me become my own person, and gain the self confidence to be truly independent. I agree with the fact it is not perfect, with two filler tracks, (You Burn First and Keep It on Wax) and compared with their first two albums, it lacks a slight bit of intensity and technicality, however, it had such a huge effect on my life that all of those things seem inconsequential. This album was my first love, and even two years on, I’ll put it on and feel empowered to be myself. That is the true definition of classic.

Childish Gambino EPMaps & Atlases Perch Patchwork
Alexisonfire Old Crows / Young CardinalsLeathermouth XO
City and Colour MySpace TransmissionsFightstar One Day Son This Will All Be Yours
Jeremy Price (4.5)

Damrod EMERITUS (3.5)
Alexisonfire return with a really strong new record, but unfortunately leave some of the great treat...

Adam Turner-Heffer (4.5)

poweroftheweez
December 9th 2008

this is a big a really big soundoff.

armfarm
December 9th 2008

i can't listen to this band anymore, its not that they are particularly bad. but they aren't exactly great either. Watch out! is a good album, and their self-titled has some gems, this i didn't like. but i can't listen to them anymore cause much music just whored them to shit.

Iamthe Nightstars
December 9th 2008

This is definitely not a classic. I liked the self-titled, loved Watch Out!, but I wasn't really moved by this album.This Message Edited On 12.09.08This Message Edited On 12.09.08

Digging: Few And Far Between - Three

Gore

Not that goodThis Message Edited On 12.09.08

bastard
December 9th 2008

this is a big a really big soundoff.

isn't that a reivew???

poweroftheweez
December 9th 2008

I'm saying there's no elaboration on the music and it's a bit introspective for a formal review.

ToWhatEnd
December 9th 2008

I just want to know what the popular kids were listening to.

brandaao

God, I love this album so much more than the other 2

I have no idea why....but I love this album so fucking much

AtavanHalen
December 9th 2008

Easily their best, wonderful record.
There's some good writing here, but plenty of room for improvement. I see potential.

Chewie
December 9th 2008

i can't listen to them anymore cause much music just whored them to ****.

eggsactly, but overall this is still a grood record.

Curse.
December 9th 2008

This album is pretty great. You need to make your reviews a little less about you and have a bit more detail on the music, but alright review otherwise.

jimay333
December 9th 2008

Watch Out! was way better. They went a little too mainstream for me on this one.

KritikalMotion
December 9th 2008

this band never really did much for me, and i really dislike dallas green. they were alright live though.

Zippermouth
December 10th 2008

I'm pretty sure that its spelled gravelly.

Asiatic667
December 10th 2008

I have the boiled frogs video on a compilation DVD, but I haven't watched it yet, is the song any good?

AtavanHalen

Absolutely.
One of their best.

bustyagunz
December 10th 2008

yea boiled frogs is definitely one of their top 5 songs. im not too big on the rest of this album though, as much as i love their first two.

pneumoniahawk93
December 10th 2008

Yeah, poweroftheweez, I agree it's too short and too introspective in hindsight.

pneumoniahawk93
December 10th 2008

And just so you know, the popular kids started with the whole emo-pop thing, so cute is what we aim for, fall out boy etc. then moved on to deathcore shit, like BMTH and stuff. It's pretty awful stuff.

Bleak123

1902 Comments

thank god i know that, now i can listen to what the popular kids do
also album is very good