Venom
Welcome to Hell

by Liam1991 USER (5 Reviews)
December 6th, 2008 | 62 replies | 14,948 views

Release Date: 1981 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Venom did something that would undoubtedly shape the genre of thrash metal. Welcome to Hell is a great example of that.

Venom formed in late 1979 and came to the metal scene towards The New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Except, they weren't like anything like the heavy metal bands to come out of England, nor anywhere else around the world. Adopting pseudonyms, satanic lyrics, harsh vocals, their image and evil musical sound was something that had never been so dominant throughout the metal scene before.

Venom failed to achieve any mainstream success, but are highly regarded as a huge influence on the genre of thrash metal and extreme metal, they also coined the phrase 'black metal'. Venom weren't also known for being particulary good musicians, as a matter of fact they extremly poor musicians often playing their instruments in a simple, crude way, also complete with downtuned guitars to give that 'black metal' feel to the album. Also,I might add that the production is somewhat fuzzy, cheap and extremely crude.

'Welcome to Hell' didn't coin the phrase 'black metal' immediately. But however, it does contains the characteristics of black metal and thrash metal that would later proceed 'Welcome to Hell'. Fast guitars, unmelodic and often harsh vocals, basically all the features that we expect from bands that are from a similar genre such as Slayer who came a few years later.

Anyway, general stuff aside and let's review the album.

Upon listening to the album, the first track that will hit your ears will be "Sons of Satan", typical speed/thrash metal song with satanic lyrics etc. Not a stunning track, but a promising start for what's to come next.

"Welcome to Hell" is the track afterwards and is more of a typical trash/black metal song than "Sons of Satan. It contains some great guitar work though, and a great headbanger, especially towards the bridge section. One of my favourites.

"Schizo" comes after "Welcome to Hell". It's nothing special or particulary interesting but does keep you listening. As does "Mayhem with Mercy" (which is a short acoustic instrumental) and quickly follows is "Poison", which seems to be about making loves to the Devil's daughter. Very c reepy. Another great track.

"Live like an Angel, Die Like a Devil" is another killer track with some pretty nice guitar work which for extreme metal, is quite melodic in some senses, coupled with some harsh vocals and quite a fitting solo as well. Soon follows is "Witching Hour" which, again, is another killer track and another intense headbanger as well.

"A Thousand Days in Sodom" is another good track but nothing really that makes you jump from your seat in amazement.

The last three tracks of the album, however are absolutely awesome album closers. Such as "Angel Dust" featuring extremely fast guitar and momentary screeching vocals, also complete with quite a nice solo. "In League With Satan" is just pure evil and " Red Light Fever" is another solid metal track.

Overall, Welcome to Hell is a solid debut release and is something rather different from its predecessors. If you are a fan of any kind of metal, I'd recommend this quite highly, indeed. It does have its negative points, like I mentioned previously with the cheap production etc. But a solid listen, nonetheless.

Pros:
Fast, easy to listen to and heavy
Quite short in duration
Different from a lot of metal albums

Cons:
People might grow tired of unrelenting Satanic lyrics for every song
Shoddy and fuzzy production
People might want something that sounds less evil

Recommended songs:

Welcome to Hell
Poison
In League with Satan
Poison
Live Like an Angel (Die like a Devil)

The Satan Ov The Hell (4)

fireaboveicebelow

congrats?

pretty good review, though for your next one try to stray away from doing track by track rundowns, talk more about the album as a whole

Liam1991
December 6th 2008

Thanks for your comments. And what's At War With Satan like?This Message Edited On 12.06.08

rattlehead42147
December 6th 2008

all i have is black metal and i've heard at war with satan so i want this.

Liam1991
December 7th 2008

Awesome. (Y)

AliW1993
December 7th 2008

I got their latest and thought it was pretty bad, but I might get this as it's so influential. Ok review.

PuerkitoBio
December 12th 2009

Was going to do this as my first review if it hadn't been done. Such an important - though far from perfect - album in metal history. I have the vinyl version, and it's funny to see how side B is much heavier and thrashier than side A (starting with Witching Hour, a great thrash song). I disagree about the lack of melody, side A is full of it, it's what I'd call "thrash'n'roll", upbeat songs, dark only because of the bad production and the satanic lyrics. It has Ted Nugent-influenced riffs, only faster. Side B is much different. In League With Satan is a classic.

MegaSlayerThrax
July 15th 2010

In league with satan, red light fever and live like an angel are my favourites off this album

Terrifyer

loving this at the moment, HAIL THE MIGHTY VENOM!!!! M/

AngelofDeath

Yep, best Venom album.

July 7th 2011

i've got, this, black metal and at war with satan. Can't decide between this and black metal myself

pissbore

Bathory

JamieTwort
March 7th 2012

20363 Comments

sup sonic, still grounded?

666IMPF2112
May 10th 2012

Only 3.5? LOL!!! And you guys call yourselves Metal fans...

August 25th 2012

Been listening to this alot recently, rules so hard

ViperAces
September 26th 2012

Thrash? Sounds more like Punk to me.

Titan
September 30th 2012

obviously has punk influences

darkthrone1
November 30th 2012

stone cold fucking classic.