Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold

by trtrzgunners USER (1 Reviews)
December 2nd, 2008 | 30 replies | 2,516 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A good fun album, although quite inconsistent, but the album has made up for strong songs such as Almost Easy and Afterlife.

First of all, I know many of the people dislike this album for it's change in style. For me, I brought this album, and at the first listen i did not really like it, but after a few listen i started to appreciate the album, both for it sounds and the technical abilities the band has showed.

For overall sound of the album, it is more of a hard rock album, in which the band implement various elements from various genre from Pantera type riff in Critical Acclaim to Mr. Bungle brass and dissonance in A Little Piece of Heaven. It is a fun album to listen to, and is not the deep and serious music such, that many people adores such as Opeth, Dream Theater, Metallica etc. The band also use harmony vocals to enhance certain part of the song to create a more atmospheric and stronger delivery.

M. Shadows in this album has a full control on his voice and has a develop a gritty vocal style, which work very well for the band. For me I preferred his clean vocal to the scream. Synyster Gates and Zacky vengeance reduced the harmony compare to City of Evil and concentrate more on rhythm section, which is the key for this album. Meanwhile Christ provided some good bass riff for the band, such as in Afterlife and Gunslinger(listen carefully, this song got a very good bassline behind the acoustic guitar). Rev still proved that he is skilful drummer with his blistering drumming and tricks and is key to the sound of the band.

1. For the album opener Critical Acclaim, it starts off with an organ intro before going into the main riff. It is simple but powerful and start out the album quite well. This song is a rant against people who criticised the soldiers in Iraq, in which the band thing it is wrong to attack the people. People often mis-intepret that the band is Republican, but from what I have heard the song is only defending the soldiers not the government by any mean. Anyway the solo is done well, but there is nothing superb about it, however, I like the end of the solo and link back to the main riff. Overall it is a good opener, but not the best song on the album. 8/10

2. The best song on the album, and probably their best song and probably my favourite from them. Almost Easy is about trying to get the loved one back even though it's seem insane. The intro started out the journey and then it fall to the heavy thrash inspired main riff, and then the band take you on the rest of the journey. The fast riff goes well with the theme of the song, and in the chorus the music really work well with the lyrics(comeback to me it's almost easy), the tricks played by the revs on cymbals and the guitar and bass give you a feeling of struggle, which totally fit into the lyrics. The solo is simple but work well with the song, so I'm not gonna bash it for not being their most technical challenging work. Another classic from them 10/10 note: all of my friends got hooked to this song, and they are the type that listen to Dream Theater, Metallica, Paul Gilbert etc.

3. Scream is probably the most simple and repetitive song off the album, with the sliding slapping bass and guitar arpeggio. However, the bass and guitar really fit well together. Overall another good song, not the best but a good listen 8/10

4. Afterlife open with a string before Synister Gates and Zacky Vengeance flow in with a solo, the bass start off the verse and is the lead instrument for the majority of the chorus, before the song goes into an upbeat and memorable chorus. The highlight of this song is probably the guitar solo, which is simply awesome. Overall this song is probably their most technical for the band as a whole, meanwhile the strings helped to enhance the song greatly 9/10

5. Gunslinger is the first ballad of this album, it is a power ballad with soft verse and loud chorus, I really like this song somehow, probably because of how the vocal seems to go with the music very well, and it gave you the atmospheric vibe and a relatively relax atmosphere before breaking into distortion, which is almost always effective 8/10

6. Unbound (Wild Ride) is probably the first song of this album in which I did not really like. Probably due to the overuse of studio technique from fast electronic piano and the children voice. THis is where the studio technique no longer enhance the song, but rather make the song worse and cover the actual key instruments 5/10

7. Brompton Cocktail is quite okay, it contains a good opening riff, but end too short to go into a darker softer verse. Nevertheless the song is good again when the chorus came in in which M. Shadows gritty vocals goes well with the music. 7/10

8. Lost contain some good guitaring with the harmony guitars in the intro. If the song was rated on that it would probably achieve 9 or above, however when the vocal and the verse came in the song kind of fell apart, especially with a pitch effect chorus. Another example of overusing studio-technique. 6/10

9. A Little Piece of Heaven is a 7 minutes long epic story on murder and death the music goes well with the sarcastic and evil theme in the lyrics. Due to the heavy use of brass however, this song almost reduce the actual instrumentalists to nothing. I think that this song would be much better if the band decide to use less brass and more guitar, bass and drums. 7/10

10. Dear God is a country inspired ballad and the final song off the album. Despite the country influence this song did not really sound like a country and more of rock ballad. The guitar here is pure beauty, and with the lyrics it is quite an emotional song, and is one of those that move you emotionally. The solo go with the emotion well and finally fade away to end the album in a relatively epic way, although it has a huge simillarity to Hotel California. 9/10

Overall the album open quite well with strong songs, but the form dropped for track 6-9. To me this is an album where it is quite inconsistent, but the good songs are really good and made up for the bad one. Songs like Almost Easy would certainly be an instant classic. There are too much studio techniques though, and it could have done with more core substance rather than sound decoration. They should take note that string usually work well, but pitch effect and brass may not be the best idea. The albums has provided stronger singles than it predecessor, but is still not at the same level as it predecessor.

Overall rating: 4/5

2.7

OllieS

2029 Comments

Not bad for a first. Try to avoid TBT's all together, as they can lose a reader's interest easily and generally aren't very popular around these parts. Agreed on the album (Y)

Golgoroth
December 2nd 2008

I'm not going to neg because it's your first but this was a kind of poor review. Next time work on your grammar and not making sentences sound awkward, and try to avoid track-by-track. Plus you didn't really defend the rating well.

Welcome to Sputnik btw. It isn't all that bad considering that it's a first review but a lot of the sentences were really awkward and redundant.This Message Edited On 12.02.08

Chewie
December 2nd 2008

tons of spelling mistakes, and track by tracks are awfully boring to read, I won't neg, but no pos from me.

Lunarfall
December 2nd 2008

Decent first review, like the others have said. Try to do a more overall review next time rather than a track by track.

bastard

bad bad album.

DeathThrashProg
December 2nd 2008

not a bad first review, but as you read the reviews submitted these days you will see that all of the well-praised ones (e.g Staff) are not track by tracks.
Also, i completely disagree about almost easy, to me, its the worst one on here.

wakeupdead
December 2nd 2008

For a first it was pretty good, way better than my first review lol prepare to get bashed for the rating though haha

Bleak123

1902 Comments

this is a pretty poor album and ok for a first

fireaboveicebelow
December 2nd 2008

you make the familiar mistake of overrating things, in that you say a track is nothing more than decent and give it an 8/10, also try to avoid saying things like "I think... or I don't like this... " because it's better to keep yourself out of it, while substituting those phrases for something more general. Example:

you could take out the first part of the sentence, or say something like "the expression of the song seemed to be less powerful due to the over-extensive brass use, whereas utilizing their traditional instruments more would have set the balance." or something I dunno

Yazz_Flute
December 2nd 2008

Almost Easy and Dear God are pretty much the worst songs here along with Scream and Lost is like one of the best wtf.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

December 2nd 2008

Almost Easy isn't bad, Dear God is though. Little Piece Of Heaven slays.

Phantom
December 2nd 2008

This album isn't terrible but there are some songs that sound like they could have been written better. What really annoys me is going on youtube or somewhere and seeing the legions of fanboys with A7X somwhere in their name.

DeathThrashProg
December 2nd 2008

The melodies alone in A Little Piece of Heaven seem to annoy me, i dont quite understand why. I have the same reaction to the chorus of Beast and the Harlot

Spamue1G

3 main problems:
1. I can't think of anyone who listens to Dream Theater because they're deep and serious. They can be thought-provoking but often the fun is in the instrumentation or just in them being fun. They aren't very deep and serious most of the time, but I see your point.
2. Wtf does being republican have to do with wanting troops to get out of Iraq? And why is it important to mention that in the review?
3. At times you seem like you're writing this to try and oppose the critics rather than give a fair review of the album. So, basically, first paragraph isn't necessary at all.
Most of the big problems have already been mentioned, just thought I'd be picky. Seriously, though, not bad for a first, but not enough for a pos from me. Look at what everyone's said, read some other reviews, you'll improve quickly.

MadnessUnhallowed
December 2nd 2008

Afterlife rocks my socks.

Hawks
December 2nd 2008

Yeah Afterlife is by far the best IMO.

Digging: Manners - Pale Blue Light

December 2nd 2008

this album is pretty gay

some good songs though

Bfhurricane
December 2nd 2008

Bad review. Learn English good.

bastard
December 2nd 2008

you do realize it's the guys first review Bf.

this is pretty funny though.This Message Edited On 12.02.08

Bfhurricane
December 2nd 2008

There's rampant spelling errors, run-on sentences, and poor grammar. Not trying to be a dick, but try spell check or something before you submit it.