Underoath
Lost in the Sound of Separation

by JumpTheF**kUp USER (7 Reviews)
November 28th, 2008 | 37 replies | 3,532 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's all in the way I say what I don't mean and mean what I don't.

Christian metalcore 6-piece Underoath are one of the biggest bands in the current metalcore scene, and Lost In The Sound of Separation (their much anticipated follow-up to 2006’s Define The Great Line) justifies their position at the top. Album opener ‘Breathing in a New Mentality’ sets the pace, opening up with some drum fills and Spencer’s brand of throaty screaming, until a flurry of riffs and licks kick up the intensity – an intensity which never lets up throughout the album’s 42 minutes.

The band has tightened up their sound a lot and the instrumentation is better than ever, with the lead and rhythm guitarists laying down some seriously heavy riffs, whilst calling the rhythm section merely competent would be a huge undersell. In fact, the ending of ‘A Fault Line, A Fault of Mine’ is one of the best passages that Underoath have ever written, with the epic riffing and pounding rhythm section amalgamating to perfectly complement Spencer and Aaron’s vocals, and create something truly moving. And on the topic of Spencer’s vocals, they have improved exponentially, and his trade-off of screams for clean vocals pays off, as the album is catchier and more accessible than their past efforts. This is most notable on ‘The Created Void’, where the ominous and sometimes regretful mood of the song is matched by Spencer’s emotional and heartfelt vocals, especially in the sections towards the end, where his clean singing is intelligently layered over some clean electric guitar strumming.

With this shift in vocal work also comes a shift in the heavy/ambient aesthetic that Underoath write into their songs so well, and on Lost in the Sound of Separation, there is a greater focus on the ambience and less on the heavy. While this does detract somewhat from the intensity and pure emotion of their past records, it does increase the focus of this one and is a logical progression of the band’s sound. Take, for example, ‘The End is Near’, where the band builds-up from a heavy section to some ambience, only to double take and enter into a groovy section where the bass and drums take prominence. The band then builds on this section as well, and the song progresses seamlessly until its epic finale.

Underoath’s use of interplay between heavy and clean sections prevent the album from getting boring, and Lost in the Sound of Separation displays everything that sets Underoath above their scene peers; the technicality of their songwriting, the intensity of the tracks and the earnestness of their lyrics. Recommended.

Fall Out Boy Folie a DeuxRise Against Appeal to Reason
Say Anything Menorah/MajoraWe're From Japan! 48 Minutes, 7 Seconds, Then The Open Air
Streetlight Manifesto Somewhere in the BetweenLemon Jelly Lemonjelly.KY

November 28th 2008

Getting back into the groove of writing reviews that are actually longer than 350 words.

I STARE AT THE WALL, WATCHING MY TIME FLOAT AWAY

nice

AlexTM510

I WAS LYING, THIS IS DEFEAT

Awesome review, I pretty much agree. Especially on the noting of "A Fault Line". The last minute of the song is like holy **** epic awesome.

rasputin
November 28th 2008

I approve of this review.

November 28th 2008

So would I like these cats?

well they are really good and you are you, so no

November 28th 2008

You don't give any negative points to the album.

Thus you should have given it a 5. But I agree with pretty much everything you say.

IAmInsect

I AM THE ONE WHO'S WRONG

November 28th 2008

Albums don't necessarily need to have negatives to not be 5s.

November 28th 2008

...If there's nothing negative, its perfect. A perfect album suggests a perfect score. No, scrap that, it means a perfect score, otherwise its not bloody perfect.

IAmInsect

i would actually agree that this album is perfect but it's definitely not a 5

November 28th 2008

I guess our rating scales are different; there are some albums which I know aren't perfect, but I still consider 5s, whilst there are some albums which don't have any faults but aren't.

November 28th 2008

I just don't get that. O.o If it's perfect why would you rate it as if it has something wrong with it? If it doesn't effect you enough emotionally, its hardly perfect. And thats the only other reason I can think of.

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

With shorter reviews, I think it's fair to rate something 4.5 & not give a negative.
I listened to this album for the first time a couple of weeks back. It's pretty solid, but I think i preferred 'Define The Great Line'. Then again, I wasn't as harsh on 'They're Only Chasing Safety' as most were.

AlexTM510
November 28th 2008

I just don't get that. O.o If it's perfect why would you rate it as if it has something wrong with it? If it doesn't effect you enough emotionally, its hardly perfect. And that's the only other reason I can think of.

Well in a certain sense (if i can add my two cents) no album is "perfect." There even some "classics" that can have "flaws" but when critiquing it the "flaws" can be minimal.

Anyway in the end it's personal preference. Personally for me, my ratings of albums that are 4 to 5 are pretty much albums I enjoy a lot on a similar level. However its put in preference of originality, and (yes) in some cases how strong the emotional impact can be. But that's just mine, For me the albums I rated "5" are albums I can pretty much listen to anytime and have a really deep impact on me. And all the songs are equally stellar.

4.5 is close but it gets that because to me the riffs are (at times) cliche and there are certain moments in the album that hold up better than others. But these flaws to me are very minimal, in fact me stating them is useless but its tiny things like that. Because they still make the album work incredibly well.

Idk if it helped but in the end it's personal preference.This Message Edited On 11.28.08

November 28th 2008

uhh with some records there's nothing wrong with them, but they just aren't inherently good enough to merit a perfect score.

it makes sense, just think about it.

Masochist
November 28th 2008

...If there's nothing negative, its perfect.

There's your problem right there. Perfection means the absence of flaws, but the absence of flaws does not equal perfection.This Message Edited On 11.28.08

razedtotheground

this is crazy good

Digging: Mouth of the Architect - Quietly

November 28th 2008

I get what you're saying Chan, but my point was that the whole fact that its not good enough means there IS something wrong with it. Just not in a completely logical sense. I think. Or I could just be confusing myself. Either way is cool.

November 28th 2008

i dunno it just depends on you personal opinion in regards to how you view the ratings i guess.

handoman
November 28th 2008

heh still need to listen to this