Alestorm
Leviathan

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (56 Reviews)
November 20th, 2008 | 23 replies

Review Summary: Grab your rum, you're in for a ride

Alestorm is a band that now needs little introduction on sputnik. Whether you are a metalhead or not, chances are you have heard of this Scottish, pirate-themed metal band with lyrics ranging from drinking to women to fighting to various combinations of these and all this while sailing the seven seas in search of treasure.

The band’s new EP features one new song, a cover of Wolves of the Seas (by Pirates of the Seas), a german version of their hit Wenches And Mead and one remade song from their Battleheart demo.

The demo delivers exactly what is now expected from this Scottish band; a fun, alcohol-tinged, journey back to a time where pirates were the “wolves of the seas”. The Ep sounds like it could just be a continuation of their debut album, Captain Morgan’s Revenge. For the most part this is a good thing.

Alestorm bring back everything that made us love their debut. The lyrics are just as hilariously over the top as ever featuring such lines as:
We are Heavy Metal Pirates
We sail across the sky
In our battleships of cosmic steel
We're the terror up on high

Of course these are always sung in their traditional “drunken pirate” fashion that has been the bands trademark ever since their first demo. Although this aspect of the band has been hated on by many and called a “cheap gimmick”, it adds a whole new dimension to the pirate theme that no other vocalist out there could bring.
The keys are used in a similar fashion as on the album. They create epic sounding, folky melodies that help put the listener in the setting of the album. One can easily imagine the songs being sung by a lonely pirate crew trying to pass the time as they sail the seven seas in search of wealth and battle.

Sadly, on the other hand, the EP also brings back the flaws of the past album. The guitar riffs are very simple and often use the keys as a crutch. The songs are built mostly around power chords with the keys providing the melodies. Three guitar solos are featured on the album (one on every song except Weiber Und Wein) and each one demonstrates some good technical abilities and adds on nicely to the otherwise tedious riffs.

Leviathan is an enjoyable new song that would’ve fit in perfectly on the previous album. They play their usual style described in this review.
Wolves Of The Sea is the best song on the album simply because it is the “funnest”. The cover is hundreds of times better than the original and has the biggest “piratey” feel out of all the songs on the EP. Great to sing along to in your underwear while in your room hoping that your mom won’t walk in to bring your laundry.
Weiber Und Wein is the german version of their hit Wenches And Mead. The idea of hearing this in german sounded hilariouns at first but turned out average. The lyrics are what made the song the epic piece of the music it was. It is entertaining to hear Bowes sing in german the first time but the novelty wears off quickly.
Heavy Metal Pirates is a remake from their Battleheart demo and just another fun “classic-alestorm” listen. The chorus is epicly cheesy and will be stuck in your head for a long time after you’ve heard it.

All in all, as an EP this makes for a very fun and enjoyable listening. Anyone who enjoyed the album is bound to be pleased by this four track piece of music. Although the listener should beware. If the band plans on releasing another album like this it could make for a very tedious experience due to the lack of new ideas. The band can’t expect the same stunts to stay fun forever.

SCREAM!

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereForteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe Légendes
Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
3.2
good
Corey (3)

November 20th 2008

Havent had many chances to review due to school. HOpe im not too rusty. This needed a review

November 20th 2008

Nice review, return the favor you son of a bitch and check out mine. I'm mpretty sure you'll likey. Mmkay.

Digging: Carissa's Wierd - Songs About Leaving

Poet
November 20th 2008

I may check this out. Good review though.

November 20th 2008

I have had this sitting on my desktop for days now but I don't want to listen to it because I know it will be shit.

November 20th 2008

Yeah so the title track is decent, but the rest is completely forgettable.

rhum

rhum

Where's your enthusiasm? It goes more like:
RHUM!

November 20th 2008

If this is anything like folk metal, count me in.

Crysis
November 20th 2008

HEY HEY! I WANT MORE WENCHES! HEY HEY! MORE WENCHES AND MEAD!!

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

November 20th 2008

Am I the only one wondering why 'Rum' hasn't had its spelling corrected yet?

Crysis
November 20th 2008

If chan spells it "rhum"... then you will fucking spell it "rhum" too

Didn't anyone tell you?

November 21st 2008

Rhum sounds cooler with an h. But of course, you being the perfectionist...

November 21st 2008

But of course, you being the perfectionist...

Um no, it's called 'correct spelling'.

Thor

*rum

JumpTheF**kUp

'rhum'

lololol

Tyler

band is so god awful

November 21st 2008

i def. commented "rhum" to bring up the fact that its misspelled

November 21st 2008

Didn't have much time to check spelling since i finished this pretty late. Still i don't know how that rhum one got in there. Its fixed now you fools

November 21st 2008

This band is absoulutely horrible.

SylentEcho
November 21st 2008

/\ agreed. I don't get the hype. I'll still give them a chance an give this EP a couple of listens.