Lahmia
Forget Every Sunrise

by Ethereal Space Yogurt USER (205 Reviews)
November 20th, 2008 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An engaging new EP from this young Italian group of Swedolic embracing metalheads. Fans of Be'lakor, Sentenced, and Ceremonial Oath need apply.

I’m just going to skip my normal introduction this time because I’m fresh out of ideas for kicking off this review with a bang. So I’ll just state that Lahmia is a melodic death metal band from Italy. The band formed in 2001 playing a style comparable to mid to late period Sentenced. They integrated rich baritone vocals akin to Vili Laihalla with dark, atmospheric keyboards and mellow guitar lines. But after they released their debut “An Eternal Memory” in 2007, Lahmia quickly shifted gears and opted for a face reconstructive surgery. 2008 finds the band active in the music scene once more delivering a five song EP in “Forget Every Sunrise”.

The band retains some of their gothic traits while embracing a new stylistic shift in Swedish melodic death metal. I’ll be the first to point out that Swedish melodic death metal has been played out and sapped of all its original glory. But I’ll be dammed if these Italians don’t make a strong case for revitalizing the movement to its once proud self. This five song E.P perfectly captures the original melodic death spirit with a snapping rhythm section, blistering solos, and impeccable songwriting skills capable of pulling this band out into the open given a year or two tops. I don’t know what motivated the band to become this good but I’m happy to inform this is one of the best EP’s that I’ve heard in some time.

If you consider yourself a fan of Be’Lakor, Ceremonial Oath, Sentenced, and/or early In Flames then this is for you. Flavio Gianello and Samuele Piacenti boast incredible skill in crafting some of the catchiest riffs in metal while retaining a healthy dose of melody and heaviness. The duo employ a moderately heavy riffing approach with the occasional Amon Amarth chug popping in from time to time. Solos are prominent and soar like majestic eagles crossing the Rhine. The sparse appearances from the acoustic guitar helps illuminate the rich musical back drop of Lahmia even more, incorporating a folky, dark metal element to the aggressive tempos. The drumming position is filled in by Fabio Cesarini and the “I feel the need, The need for speed” status quo is put into full effect as he blasts and kicks away with deadly speed and precision. Corrando Ciaggia’s bass work is loud, but not too loud, and very efficient. Very much like Iron Maiden and such early melodic death metal bands, Corrando finger taps his way emulating Steve Harris while following the guitars with relative ease. My only concern with the band would be the vocals courtesy of Francesco. By all means, the vocals are not terrible but at times sound a little dry. His guttural vocals are excellent and reminiscent of Be’Lakor’s debut record. Francesco’s baritone clean singing evokes feelings of gothic rock era Sentenced with a little bit of U.K doom thrown in for good measure.

I guess the only real disappointment I found on this E.P would be that it’s an E.P and not a full length. I ate up these five songs rather quickly so I’m hoping for a new album in 2009/ 2010 at tops. Some might write off these guys as just another generic Swedolic death metal group but I find that the band stands quite well on it‘s own. It’s only a matter of time before Lahmia hones and perfects their craft for a full length offering to drop on the metal community. If you consider yourself a fan of any of the bands that I’ve namedropped in the previous paragraphs I would like to direct you to the bands myspace page. All five of the songs are currently available for streaming so get at it metalheads.

Vampyric Blood Ordo DraculPagan Hammer Ode To My fathers
Destroyer 666 Of Wolves, Women & WarSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the WormTheophany Time's End: Majora's Mask Remixed

asdemonsburn

Guess I'll check this out

Fugue
November 20th 2008

Awesome review, you make a convincing argument

I really want to hear this now.

Crysis
November 20th 2008

Wow tons of reviews being posted tonight!

Good review, I'll have to look into this seeing as I am a fan of Be'Lakor and Sentenced.

November 20th 2008

No doubt. Thanks brospehs. Good to see i'm back in the game after an almost month long hiatus.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

Slaytan

This.

Poet
November 20th 2008

so is this some elite Italian Melo-death?

November 20th 2008

I'd say semi-elite status. If these guys keep on keepin on with the next album, they might be FUCKING ELITE ITALIAN METAL. SIEG!!!!

rasputin
November 20th 2008

sapped of all it’s original glory

revitalizing the movement to it’s once proud self

generic Swedolic death metal group but I find that the band stand’s quite well on it‘s own

You need to watch out for those apostrophes man, but otherwise good review.

Zippermouth
November 20th 2008

You sure fight hard for those apostrophes.

jrowa001
November 21st 2008

i like Sentenced and Be'lakor so ill be looking into this

Pebster49
November 21st 2008

Sound very good, listening to their myspace song.

jingledeath
November 21st 2008

this is definitely for me.So is a lot of other shit that I haven't gotten yet.
Good review man.

Favor is returned balls :p

Might look into this but it sounds like a lot of bands that i've heard before

Digging: Svartidau?i - Flesh Cathedral

November 21st 2008

Thanks my man. It might be because of the riffing template, I mean you've heard one Swede death band, you've pretty much heard them all. It's still worth myspacing if you want something entertaining and somewhat a little different than most melo death. I am now copyrighting Swedolic- Swede + melodic. And I should get cool points fro refrencing Top Gun.

November 21st 2008

The guy in the far left of their myspace band pic reminds me of Devin Townsend but less uglyThis Message Edited On 11.21.08

Athom
November 21st 2008

this is pretty good. nice find.

November 21st 2008

The myspace songs are good but im not really looking for this type of metal right now so i dunno :/

Might come back to it later

Willie
November 21st 2008

Nice review, I'll check their myspace page... but I don't expect much ;)

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

November 21st 2008

You are right, SCREAM! The dude on the elft looks like a younger, Italian version of Devin. As for teh rest, it's pretty solid stuff but nothing superb.

beans
November 23rd 2008

this sounds damn good. i will check out for sure

great review.