Mudvayne
The New Game

2.0
poor

by Jake C. Taylor USER (89 Reviews)
November 14th, 2008 | 12 replies | 2,735 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The New Game shows that mundane-Mudvayne’s idea of ‘new’, is a second-rate one at best.

Managing to come up with fresh material for The New Game wasn’t going to be an arduous journey, according to Mudvayne’s vocalist Chad Grey during an interview. Talking self-assuredly about the difference between the sounds of his supergroup incarnation Hellyeah and the sounds to be found during The New Game, Grey states “Mudvayne is like wearing an old pair of shoes - you just feel comfortable in them”. However considering that their last venture literally found them cowering amongst visual stereotypes, and newborn imagery, it comes off as some surprise that they have managed to find themselves experimenting with material that’s detached from the apparent past insecurities, even if still a little stuck in the muddy waters of vagueness.

By recruiting producer Dave Fortman (recent Slipknot) and adding him to the battery, the group discover some elements that are well overdue, but also many that don’t form any lasting impressions. Fortman and many of the group’s members boasted frequently before the release about the allowance for each instrument to develop in the mix, giving it a feeling close to that of ‘old-school rock’ – if by that they mean the atonal King Crimson guitar solo during the title track, there may just be signs of exaggeration bleeding at the seams. Where is this so-called rock sound that is spoken so eloquently of hiding? No where to be honest – this is basically Lost and Found Pt. II; tacky nu-metal, tinged with deprived lyrical content and unflattering soft-to-hard song structures; discordant down-tuned guitars, seemingly complex yet overly unflattering percussion, and teeth gritting vocalisation. While it could be taken as jumping on the modern-metal bandwagon, the occasional whining guitar solo (“Do What You Do”/ “Same Ol?”), acoustic driven melodies (“Scarlett Letters”/ “Never Enough”) and, softer crooning (see all) from Grey, help give the release a sense of personality. Revitalising also is the more gratifying representation between rhythm section members, Ryan Martinie and Matt McDonough, though this rarely seems to form into anything appealing, at least in comparison to that of moments during L.D. 50’s obsequious rhythmical complexities.

While it may yield some standouts such as the deceivingly good introductory track “Fish Out of Water”, mostly the durations for enjoyment will be short-lived. Frankly Mudvayne has missed the train on this one – once again. The previously driven cohesion between all the members seems to still be lurking between the songs rather than during them; i.e. during the silence when you’re thinking back to the heady days. The New Game, while confident and defined, shows a lot of devolution and needs to be recoded into something more representative of their character, their talents, and finally their original sound. It will most likely become a recording that will divide many listeners, appeal highly to die hard fans, and finally dishearten the lovers of L.D. 50.

Cavern CavernHans Zimmer The Dark Knight Rises
Periphery Periphery II: This Time It's PersonalSantigold Master of My Make-Believe
Age of Evil A.O.E.Meshuggah Koloss
Jom STAFF (1.5)
Unless this album is just an anomaly - a fluke, even - and not a harbinger of things to come, 'The N...

Josh Fountain CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)
The New Game marks the return of Mudvayne, and while the album is nothing we haven't heard before, i...

rasputin

It worked out very well, pos'd.This Message Edited On 11.14.08

ManWomanBoogie
November 14th 2008

I thought this album was much better than Lost and Found.

Still good review.

taylormemer
November 14th 2008

Should it be 'at the seams'?

feels good manThis Message Edited On 11.14.08

needledeathpunk
November 14th 2008

Good review, I really wish this band could've released more things up to par with LD 50.

rasputin

feels good man

Burn2Burn
November 14th 2008

Despite its rather odd (almost anti-metal) sentiments, “Fish Out of Water” initiates The New Game well enough to be analysed as a lighter imitational mix of the earlier melodic entities during, “Silenced”, and “Determined”. As these all have begun their respective albums with apparent brilliance, Fish too, begins is all very nicely… a possible indication that their gradual downhill run since L.D. 50 for the moment, has come to an unsteady, but defined plateau.

This entire paragraph is hard to read, and saying that Mudvayne have "come to an unsteady, but defined plateau" is contradictory.

The New Game, while tepid, confident, and defined,

This confuses me as well, mainly because of the word "tepid". It kind of negates the fact you're saying the album is confident and defined.

Mudvayne frankly has missed the train on this one – once again. The previously driven cohesion between all the members seems to still be lurking between the songs rather than during them; i.e. during the silence when you’re thinking back to the heady days.

This, however, is exactly how I feel about the album. But you should put "Frankly" at the beginning of the sentence and Mudvayne after it...it seems more fluent that way.

Ok, looks like i grilled you, but I actually enjoyed the review, believe it or not. Feels good man.This Message Edited On 11.14.08

AtavanHalen
November 14th 2008

Review's a bit iffy in parts, but still okay.
I'm still interested to hear this.

taylormemer
November 14th 2008

Bah, I hated that whole paragraph from the beginning. I'm scrapping it. The other contradictions weren't part of the editing process, which I will reconsider and probably remove. As always I appreciate crit, because it makes me rethink the next time around.This Message Edited On 11.14.08

Willie
November 14th 2008

I've only heard the stream twice, but it's enjoyable. Sometimes it sounds like you're hoping for a sound they haven't had since
their first album. Based on their "progression" from album to album this is pretty much in line with where they're heading.

The album they're supposed to release this summer that is more like their old sound is the one that might end in disappointment
for me.This Message Edited On 11.16.08

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

Wizard
November 15th 2008

Sometimes it sounds like you're hoping for a sound they haven't had since their first album.

I think when you go from an album that sounds so unique to this watered down crap, a hoping plea is justified.

Album bites the big one. Good review!

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

jingledeath
November 16th 2008

boring boring album.Actually enjoyed Lost and Found but this...

firstly
February 3rd 2009

Good review, Jake, although a little overboard with the rating. If you want, read my review.