Avenged Sevenfold
Diamonds in the Rough

by peartnoy USER (21 Reviews)
November 11th, 2008 | 93 replies | 21,111 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: For any Avenged Sevenfold fan.

Avenged Sevenfold is one of the best bands on the planet at this moment in my opinion. A lot of people like to call them sell-outs because they have nothing else to do. The eponymous cd wasn't a sell-out, it was just different from what the band displayed before. It was indeed very good, going through the country-ballad ''Dear God'', the beautiful and rocking ''Brompton Cocktail'', the superbly written ''Afterlife'' and the epic ''A Little Piece of Heaven''. It wasn't as good as City Of Evil (which is one of my favorite albums of all-time) but it still kicked some major a**.

A lot of good songs were rejected in the making of the album and the band decided to include them with a live DVD. To make it simple, this dvd/cd is awesome!

The DVD: A lot of songs of the self-titled and City of Evil. Also with 2 songs from Waking The Fallen and a cover (Walk by Pantera). Before I bought this dvd, i never saw a live performance from these guys. When I watched it i was blown away! The performance is just perfect, even if the vocals overpower the guitars sometimes (Shadows performance is still pitch-perfect). The song selection is good and the cover is pretty cool (they make a guy come on stage to sing the song and he does a solid job).

My only problems with this DVD are the useless cursing and the fact that the camera can't stay at the same angle for more than 2 seconds. I got used to it though. 8.5/10

The CD: 7 b-sides, 2 covers and 2 remixes.

Songs: They are nothing genius but they all deserve some play time. ''Demons'' and ''Crossroads'' are the heaviest ones, and they are highly enjoyable songs. ''Demons'' is 2 minutes too long and ''Crossroads'' has pretty bad lyrics but the instrumentation is great. ''Girl i Know'' and ''Dancing Dead'' are straight-forward hard-rock and may be the best songs on the album (Dancing Dead has one of the most technical solo synyster gates has ever came up with). The others (Tension, Until The End and The fight) are nothing special but still they are listenable. 7.5/10

Covers: I am probably going to get some comments for that but Flash of The Blade is better than the original (or the chorus at least). They don't get any credit for writing the song but the execution is better in my opinion. Walk is a bit less good but still great. Shadows just doesn't sound as natural and raw as Phil from Pantera. Good stuff, very good stuff. 8.5/10

Remixes: Useless! Almost Easy vocals don't even sound normal, computerized a lot and the instrumentation is exactly the same . Afterlife adds boring orchestration and just makes me want to listen to the original even more so there is no point to it. 4/10

In conclusion: This review was pretty short because this album isn't the most important in the world. Still, you get the idea that this package is made for fans and very well made. The DVD or the cd themselves are great, so to have them both at the same time is worth the buy.

P.S.: I'm a french canadian so please excuse my english.

Sonic Syndicate Sonic SyndicateFar From Reality Reminiscence
Destrage Are You Kidding Me? No.Asking Alexandria From Death to Destiny
Circus Maximus NineAnberlin Vital
Jayy (4)
Dear Avenged Sevenfold: Burn your self titled, replace it with this....

bluehaze54 (3.5)
Avenged Sevenfold release a b-side/live album with stronger material than self titled but still lack...

Yazz_Flute
November 11th 2008

Review is eh, but its a first so no neg.

Avoid statements like these

Avenged Sevenfold is one of the best bands on the planet at this moment

While I do like A7X, they are no where near the one of the best bands on the planet.

nice username btw propsThis Message Edited On 11.11.08

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

deadsinkingstory
November 11th 2008

Avenged Sevenfold is one of the best bands on the planet at this moment.

seriously avoid saying things like that.

also, self-titled release sucked. hard.

lunchforthesky
November 11th 2008

Avenged Sevenfold is one of the best bands on the planet at this moment. A lot of people like to call them sell-outs because they have nothing else to do.

Greatest opening two sentences ever? I think so.

marksellsuswallets
November 11th 2008

Almost Easy sounded computerized in the first place...and tbh that solo in Dancing Dead isn't terribly amazing...meh I really don't agree with anything in this review and its not all that well written either...and yeah they kinda are sellouts

fireaboveicebelow
November 11th 2008

The eponymous cd wasn't a sell-out, it was just different than what the band displayed before.
a lot of people like to suck off A7X because they have nothing else to do

darkwargreymon
November 11th 2008

I used o like the first two albums by this band, after City of Evil I lost hope on them.

My only problems with this dvd is the useless cursing and the fact that camera can't stay at the same angle for more than 2 seconds. I got used to it tho. 8.5/10

Why is cursing a problem?

The review seems okay, but you could try to describe the songs a bit perhaps?

A7XEric
November 11th 2008

The score i agree with, but overall I disagree with a lot of the points in the review.

Avenged Sevenfold is one of the best bands on the planet at this moment.

Refrain from these types of statements so that you avoid flaming from the typical elitist metalheads that always hate on Avenged with comments like "they suck, they're gay, etc" who consistently fail to give anything more than the vaguest of reasons to justify their disliking of the band. Not to mention, although there's nothing wrong with liking a7x, there are a lot of bands out there whose music takes a lot more talent to play. It just makes you look a tad ignorant.This Message Edited On 11.11.08

ManWomanBoogie
November 11th 2008

Avenged Sevenfold are one of the worst bands on the planet at this moment.

fixed.

72haha72
November 12th 2008

I'm not sure if I'm going to like this. I was obsessed with A7X when I was 15, Waking the Fallen was one of my favorite albums back then. Then City of Evil came out and I still loved it, but their S/T was a huge disappointment.

Still I might get this, I don't know...

rasputin
November 12th 2008

Greatest opening two sentences ever? I think so.

It rivals Shadows' infamous introduction.

Exile29
November 12th 2008

Been debating on whether or not to get this.

I still love A7X despite what everyone else says.

November 12th 2008

the b-sides disc is pretty lame.

peartnoy
November 12th 2008

I know my opening statement may sounds weird. But for me they are one of best bands at this moment. It is my opinion so stop complaining please. This is also my first review and i'm not english so my vocabulary is limited.

I would also like some comments on how to improve (beside the first line, i already know what you guys think about it).

AndyRictor2000
November 12th 2008

Here's a thought, write the review in your native language and post it somewhere else. Your writing style has rendered the review virtually unreadable and visually offensive (my eyes burn from such terrible grammar). I understand you're trying but please refrain from writing further reviews.

Bleak123

1902 Comments

so much for constructive criticism. it's his first review, no need to be so pissy about it.

ManWomanBoogie
November 12th 2008

ignore AndyRictor, he's just being a faggot.

brandtweathers

Phantom

derpppp

Essence
November 12th 2008

[quote=a7xEric]Refrain from these types of statements so that you avoid flaming from the typical elitist metalheads that always hate on Avenged with comments like "they suck, they're gay, etc" who consistently fail to give anything more than the vaguest of reasons to justify their disliking of the band.[/quote]

Actually Eric, most people give legitimate reasons, such as:

-Matt Shadows' vocals are awful, nasally, and just downright unpleasant to listen to for the most part

-The band is composed of a group of people who are so cocky it's practically offensive (you can hate a band for it's image. It's a genuine reason)
-They ripped off Pantera

-Their lyricism on their self titled was bad to the point of ridicule, especially on that really long song with Oingo Boingo (now THERE'S a good band. Listen to THEM)

-Their sound HAS changed in a noticeable way, for previously it was fairly creative melodic metalcore; now it's ... really, it's just hard rock with bad vocals.

There's a couple. Please don't reduce the opinion of millions of people to one simple generalizing statement. We all do it, but yours was just stupid.This Message Edited On 11.12.08