Haste the Day
Dreamer

by daguitarmaster USER (6 Reviews)
November 10th, 2008 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Very Good album, and strong throughout. Missing Something though...

Vegetable medley. There is something about those words that pumps us up for something that is yet to be explained......well, vegetable medley AND Haste the Day's new album "Dreamer". This album marks the end of their contract with Solid State Records, and they made the best choice for their finale, which will both make Solid State Records flow with tears of joy, and catch the attention of professional record labels.

I admit, I was not pumped for the record until October 13. Only a few days before it came out. What made me come out from under my rock, and hear the new material? The Anti-Mother Tour. That's what. I had gone to see The Showdown, and I heard Children 18:3 (they were great, but a bit out of place for this tour), mychildren my bride (they sucked horribly. no offense to mychildren mybride), and Haste the Day. I know, I missed the almighty Norma Jean, but Haste the Day was fantastic. Not as epic as The Showdown, but they were very good.

Now, call me what you want, but I stopped listening to Haste the Day after When Everything Falls. I really liked the past 2 albums, but I never got around to hear Pressure the Hinges. I'm not too sure why, but I just didn't.

After hearing "Mad Man" live, I was captured. I really like Stephen's voice. Maybe even more than Jimmy's. They said their new record was coming out October 16 (I believe that's the release date), and I was eager to hear more. Sadly, "Mad Man" was the only new song they played on their 45-minute set.

When I had arrived home, I was exhausted, but I forced myself to crawl to the computer, and listen to their album. (It was up for free streaming).

The album opens up with "68", a quite bizzare title, but a strong opener. It starts with everything. Screaming, Heavy thrash-riffed guitars, Thick bass lines, and crazy fast drumming. The intensity is so strong, and it doesn't let up at all until the last second of the tenth track comes.

MUSICALLY: Very strong (as stated earlier). The guitars are a bit different now that there is only one guitarist (Brennan Chaulk), but I am innocently slaughtered now that I've heard it. Very shocking how he is by himself. The bass, although you can barely hear it itself, keeps the song on track, and on the right tempo. Without it...this record is incomplete......ahem........the drums are very good. He uses the double bass kick drum quite often, and does a fill in between every fourth time sig.

VOCALLY: Stephen has a very.......I don't know how I can put it.......I guess I can say "generic" scream? It's good, but it sounds like alot of other band's screams (i.e. Destroy the Runner, Remove the Veil, ect.). But, it's a bit juiced up on this release. He doesn't really scream that much, but growls a bunch. And when I say he growls, I mean he growls. Deep man. Real deep at times. Brennan's singing sounds pretty much the same, but it sounds very good. And he sometimes sounds a bit grungy (Mad Man, Invoke Reform) but, I'm glad to see (or hear) a bit of a variety.

LYRICALLY: A bit puzzling at times, but it still has the same positive Christian theme to it. You can look 'em up here (www.christianrocklyrics.com/hastetheday).

Overall, the album is really good, and strong throughout.
Pick it up.

August Burns Red ConstellationsThe Showdown Back Breaker
Emery While Broken Hearts PrevailNorma Jean The Anti Mother
Cry of the Afflicted The Unveiling
3.2
good
Justin Taslak (3)
While Dreamer will keep fanboys more than content, it does little to improve on Haste the Day's rath...

smokersandchildren (4.5)
If you have any interest in metalcore music, Dreamer is for you....

November 10th 2008

Worst HST record made. I always thought of these guys as one of the more enjoyable christian bands around, not for this unfortunately.

Digging: Old Sorcery - Realms of Magickal Sorrow

combustion07
November 10th 2008

I hated this, Pressure the Hinges was ok though.

ToWhatEnd

botb
November 10th 2008

i still loved this =[ maybe its my fanboyism. but i could emotionally attach myself to this record easily.

bustyagunz

second worst haste the day album, my rating's prolly gonna drop to a 2.5 soon

still has some catchy tunes though

November 10th 2008

This is the 1st worst HTD album. I'm curious on whats your numero uno.

bustyagunz
November 10th 2008

when everything falls.... bahhh.... but only by a bit.... oh wait u know that already XDThis Message Edited On 11.10.08

Pebster49
November 11th 2008

anyone going to comment on how poorly written this review is?

marksellsuswallets
November 11th 2008

ok...its very choppy and I don't get what point you're trying to make with half the things you say...

daguitarmaster

if there's something i should improve, tell me.This Message Edited On 11.11.08

ATLbraves
November 11th 2008

The albums alright, nothing special........But Invoke Reform has the best intro-breakdown ever.

daguitarmaster
November 11th 2008

that is true. one thing that i didn't mention in the "poorly wirrten" review up there is that i did wish they made "autumn" a little bit longer than 2 minutes.

Papasfritas42
December 16th 2008

these blokes are wicked live. Super loud and in your face. I dig this album but i definitely prefer When Everything Falls over this record.

marksellsuswallets
December 16th 2008

The best intro-breakdown ever is When Everything Falls thank you very much...

Saw them over the weekend with Inhale Exhale and Emarosa (Sky Eats Airplane's van broke down so they didn't make it unfortaunately, they were the main reason I went). As much as I don't like their new stuff (much less Inhale Exhale's stuff on CD) it's still fun live, plus they closed with American Love and When Everything Falls which are two of my favorites. Although, I swear three of the songs off this album have the exact same intro...

loseit13
March 21st 2009

good album

TheAbstruseMeaning
June 14th 2009

I really enjoyed this record, actually.