Grief
Come to Grief

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
November 9th, 2008 | 79 replies | 13,408 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: SLAYS FOR DAYS

Come to Grief opens with a chaotic few seconds of feedback, before the track ‘Earthworm’ thrusts you into the aggressive riffing that is the spine of this album. The heaviness of Grief’s music is astounding; the controlled aggression that comes with every mind crushing riff is the crux of Come to Grief. Sludge doom from Boston, Grief have been around for the most part of the last two decades, albeit a five year hiatus beginning in 2001. Come to Grief is their second full length, and is an album of various metaphors; a thousand hammers smashing in your face, a multiple car pileup on your face, or simply having the shit beaten out of you for not listening to this album.

The opening feedback gives a sign of things to come with Come to Grief: this is sludge at its finest. Dirty, punishing riffs, smothered in a very tolerable fuzziness that, rather than washing out the sound, gives it a delectable gritty edge. However, rather than simply delivering a plethora of riffs, Grief add to the diversity with occasional ‘wheeyous’ and similarly needless hooks to the guitar lines. Moments like the last minute of ‘World of Hurt’ are just fantastic in topping off the rough excess of face hammering; a heightened tempo and a sneer of belligerence in what is an infectiously groovy riff closes the track sublimely, and such scornfully awesome moments are abundant throughout the album’s hour length.

Not diverging far from the aforementioned sound, the vocals are as coarse and granular as shredded wheat. Whether they’re dirty screams or vomited gutturals, such an intense and passionate performance brings the hatred filled lyrics to life. Lines like ‘Only one thing comes to mind / When I look into your eyes / I think of all those times / All I did was despise you / I hate you’ are so fervently hostile and antagonistic that you can’t help feeling like you want to go and beat the shit out of some pussy Cradle of Filth fans. The lyrical matter of the album does not stray far from abhorrence, spite and hatred; track titles such as ‘World of Hurt’, ‘I Hate You’ and ‘Fed Up’ pretty much speak for themselves.

Come to Grief rules. If you haven’t heard it, do it now. The album ends with the line ‘I’ll screw you all in the end’, and yes, he was talking about you. Highly recommended.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

Miserably Ever After

November 9th 2008

Thank you chan and fishtitz for beating the shit out of me.

November 9th 2008

excellent rhyming summary to go with an excellent review and a probably excellent release.

joshuatree

Album fucking rules.
Really good review as well, I always enjoy your shorter reviews more.

feels good man

November 9th 2008

Thanks guys. I'm in a fucking good mood tonight, I really enjoyed writing this.

I always enjoy your shorter reviews more.

Yeah, I think I'll be sticking with the shorter reviews mainly now, other than exceptions like Animals. This one could perhaps be a bit longer, but it's doom so there's not too much to say.

JumpTheF**kUp

I FUCKING TOLD YOU SHORT REVIEWS WERE BETTER
ha
anyway
good review, yo

November 9th 2008

i remember when everyone woudl be like 'wow this review is too short!' but thx to certain pioneers they are now the rage

robin
November 9th 2008

i laughed at the last line quite alot

November 9th 2008

Yeah, I am sort of glad the short review revolution has come.

robin
November 9th 2008

but according to pink floyd rasputin is bringing back short AND long reviews at the same time

rasputin for admin!

charlesfishowitz
November 9th 2008

for days, this one does.

nice review, summary, album etc.

Wizard

19237 Comments

or simply having the shit beaten out of you for not listening to this album.

I'm not leaving my house today!

Hawks had better not leave the house today either!

This album sounds tough as balls (not Balls hahaha) and I need to hear this. Love Sludge or die! Good review girly man!

This Message Edited On 11.09.08

Digging: Cloak of Altering - Plague Beasts

Zippermouth
November 9th 2008

Wow, you sound really pissed off. there's a lot of sh*t going around in the review. lol, nice.

DEATH TO CRADLE OF FILTH!

November 9th 2008

DEATH TO CRADLE OF FILTH!

hahaha

Cheers guys, yeah short reviews pretty much kick arse. Kasun is right as usual.

Anodyne

crush

u crush me

Anodyne

im crushin on u

i am crushed

marksellsuswallets
November 9th 2008

I think by the end of November you will have made it necessary to put in a doom subgenre category...