Beneath the Massacre
Dystopia

by Adam Thomas STAFF
November 3rd, 2008 | 79 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Beneath The Massacre prove once again that they are good at playing fast and nothing else.

Harder. Faster. Louder. To many these words are the true embodiment of the spirit of metal. But at what point do they turn from mantra to annoyance? Over the course of the last four years Beneath The Massacre, along with bands like the equally offending Brain Drill, have pushed technicality into the realms of the unlistenable and with their newest release Dystopia they continue the trend.

Much like their prior work, Dystopia acts as a showcase for the band's technical prowess. Every song on the album is a cut and paste job of lightning fast riffing, triggered to hell blast beats and the occasional breakdown. Nothing more, nothing less. It seems that after three releases Beneath the Massacre still havent learned that while shred is great, one cannot live on shred alone. Its almost as though sometime in between writing the tweedle-tweedle-tweedle and the dun-dun-dun they forgot that they were supposed to be writing actual songs. Sure the music is downright impressive when taken from a purely technical standpoint, but when probed for substance it just comes up empty.

Dystopia exposes Beneath the Massacre for the one-trick-pony that they are. Beyond that, its emphasis on masturbatory technicality over songwriting makes it nothing more than a haphazard collection of riffs. And while Dystopia will hit the spot if you are in dire need of your tech-metal fix, you'll be hard pressed to remember anything after its 32 minute playing time besides that it was really ***ing fast.

At the Gates At War with RealityWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
3.2
good

Athom
November 3rd 2008

Nice soundoff etc etc. This looked longer in Word. Oh well.

November 3rd 2008

good review, it's really short, but that is all you really needed to say about the album.

marksellsuswallets
November 3rd 2008

I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'M THE MAP!!!
Sup short review...its good though...not a whole lot to say about them at this point methinks...

November 3rd 2008

Hey don't make fun of Dora the explorora, she is much more song-writing oriented than this band is, and she still retains the technicality if you know what I mean.

marksellsuswallets
November 3rd 2008

Whatchu talkin bout? I would much rather listen to Dora than this...

November 3rd 2008

man nuthin, i just aint makin no sense recently.

November 3rd 2008

well you ebat me to reviewing the album but this is just about all i was gonna say, maybe throw in a few more things here and there but whatever.

Pebster49
November 3rd 2008

listening to their myspace, this seems more boring than their last album

Athom
November 3rd 2008

pretty much. same old shit = same old shit.

rasputin

dude.

bra

foreverendeared
November 3rd 2008

To many these words are the true embodiment of the spirit of metal
should be "too" and then "of" should be inserted after the word "many"This Message Edited On 11.03.08

iamthenightmare
November 3rd 2008

you could have at least put a little bit more effort into the review, but w/e.
cd is actually more memorable than their last, but slightly more monotonous at the same time.

Iamthe Nightstars
November 3rd 2008

This cd is nothing new from them, but it's still better than their first. They actually have a guitar solo on this album on the song No Future.

November 3rd 2008

They actually have a guitar solo on this album

uhm haha yeah about that