Wreck Of The Hesperus
The Sunken Threshold

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
October 31st, 2008 | 32 replies | 7,439 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A grim doom album.

Wreck of the Hesperus, self proclaimed Dublin sewer dwellers, are an interesting doom band. Not quite funeral doom, not really death/doom, the band takes rudimentary doom elements and covers them in a grimy sludge, that of which not even the dirtiest pipes of Dublin could conjure. The Sunken Threshold, an abrasive mire of an album, is the band’s first full length.

The album begins with a slow menacing riff, and works its way into the partitioned ‘Stop the Black Coffins’. The track is driven by a very energetic drum performance, as is most of the album, and rises and falls along with the ominous line ‘blot…ist…LIEB’. The riffs are as dirty as fuck, and the black metal inspired vocals merely complement the album’s sludgy sound. As ‘Stop the Black Coffins’ plunders on, the intensity of the screams increases, adding to the song’s urgency and creating a rather dense atmosphere.

The album does not venture far from the aforementioned sound; portentous guitar lines combined with raspy screams, backed up by a vigorous rhythm section. What really separates The Sunken Threshold from other doom albums is its incorporation of sludge into a refined doom structure. Very audible bass lines go well with the dirty riffs, and result in a thick and penetrating sound. At only three songs and just over 40 minutes, the album is just the right length. It has enough here to keep the listener interested, and remains innovative to the extent that monotony isn’t broached, assuming the listener has an affinity for doom metal. Even still, each track has fantastic riffs; special mention goes to the riffing in ‘The Osseous Tomb (Echoes of Winter)’, but the other two songs are not at all behind in quality.

As already mentioned, The Sunken Threshold is an interesting listen. There isn’t much variety on the album, so one would only really enjoy it if they’re immediately captivated by the interesting style in which the band plays. If you like the sound of a grimy, sludgy and murky doom album, one that remains vivaciously ill-boded throughout its length, then it would pay to give this a listen.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

Light Rotting Out

Nice sound-off.

Might read a bit like a 3.5, it's sort of closer to 3 though.

marksellsuswallets
October 31st 2008

I can't imagine a doom album with "energetic" drum performances so I might look into this at some point...This Message Edited On 11.01.08

fireaboveicebelow
October 31st 2008

the cover makes me not want this, looks like a fossil, and with my educated guess, mixing archaeology with slow music is like mixing super glue with nascar wheels

October 31st 2008

You'd be surprised. Still, don't expect blistering drum solos.

It's not incredibly slow, just sludgy.

October 31st 2008

youre in quite the doom mood lately.
another great review man
thanks much for helping me out again.

i will have to check this out, although im a little concerned cause usually doom bands that have really long songs like this, tend to be a bit monotonous sounding

flamethisuser
October 31st 2008

this reminds me a lot of the unblinking eye and is almost exactly like crossing the desert. not to mention the paddling of the swollen ass... with paddles.

No worries bunit.

this reminds me a lot of the unblinking eye and is almost exactly like crossing the desert. not to mention the paddling of the swollen ***... with paddles.

The what of the what?

bastard
October 31st 2008

Pretty awesome review as usual rasputin.

Zippermouth
November 1st 2008

How can you stand to listen to three 10+ minutes songs over and over! Doom is so boring! The only band i have heard that pulled off a 20 minute song was Rush. And this sure aint rush.

Zoo

Or you're an idiot.

Pebster49
November 1st 2008

Everyone should be in the mood for doom tbh

November 1st 2008

How can you stand to listen to three 10+ minutes songs over and over!

How can you stand to listen to 10+ 3-4 minute songs over and over!

November 1st 2008

so i pretty much completely agree with your review.
i've listened to this 3 or 4 times and its pretty damn good, even though some parts seem to drag a bit. Not the best doom album, but still pretty good to listen to.

November 1st 2008

Yeah, I had it as 3.5 but I brought it down to 3, might jump up again later, but maybe not. The first track is really good, but like you said, certain parts drag a little, especially on the last track. I just like it because they're pretty unique, and don't come off as stupid.

November 1st 2008

which is cool cause its hard to find a doom band as unique anymore, lol

yeah the last song is noteably the one i was thinking of
but i agree the first song is effin baller

BLUT

IST

LIEB

Bleak123

1902 Comments

Band has cool name.

November 1st 2008

It's taken from a famous poem.

Bleak123

1902 Comments

By Henry Longfellow right? It's an interesting poem I guess.

"The Wreck of the Hesperus" is a story that presents the tragic consequences of a sea captain's pride. On an ill-fated voyage in the winter, he had his daughter aboard ship for company. The disaster came when the captain ignored the advice of one of his experienced men, who feared that a hurricane was approaching. When the hurricane arrives, he ties his daughter to the mast to prevent her from being swept overboard; she calls out to her dying father as she hears the surf beating on the shore, then prays to Christ to calm the seas. The ship crashes onto the reef of Norman's Woe and sinks; a horrified fisherman finds her body, still tied to the mast, drifting in the surf the next morning. The poem ends with a prayer that we all be spared such a fate "on the reef of Norman's Woe".

Taken from wikipedia :D

Crysis
November 1st 2008

For some odd reason I love the band name and album title... but this review makes me think twice about looking into this. It sounds good, but not great.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt