Led Zeppelin
The Song Remains the Same

by LedHead44 USER (3 Reviews)
July 11th, 2005 | 33 replies

Release Date: 1973 | Tracklist

This album was recorded in 1973 in Madison Square Garden for a three day concert for Led Zeppelin. The album has less songs than the movie but is a fantastic live album.

Celebration Day - This live version of Celebration Day is one of the best versions. One of Zeppelin's great songs off the third album. Bonham's drumming is superb. The solo from Jimmy is absolutley amazing. The LZ III version is slightly shorter than the live one. But Zeppelin knows how to rock out in 4 minutes. 4.9/5

Dazed and Confused - JPJ's bass is stunning here as it opens to a wah wah guitar. This 27 minute song features great guitar work, singing. bass play, and drumming.(I know they always do). Not only does Robert mimic Jimmy's licks, but also Bonham does too. This shows how diverse Bonham is. Not only can he rock with a set order, but can also improvise to Jimmy's improvisation! Right before the solo (after the ridiculous bow solo) JPJ goes nuts on his bass. This song maybe the highlight of the album. 5/5

Moby Dick - The all knowing riff that hits your spine is even heavier live. Page showboats with in the DVD with fancy moves. But this song is about none other than BONZO!!! The 10 minute solo features gong playing, hand playing, and really fast stick playing. Throughout the whole thing Bonham is utilizing his foot and playing a cymbal with shakers on top. Then after he is done with his hands, Jimmy and John Paul rejoins him to finish it up. A fabulous solo song with no lyrics. 5/5

No Quarter - Another long song that Jimmy uses alot of fuzz effect on his guitar. The solo is also stunning. This is where John Paul Jones shines on his keyboard. (This guy plays everything you throw at him). Not only is he good at bass and the mandolin and the twelve string guitar but the keyboard and synth is amazing. The band works into his shinning moment with him and Bonzo lightly tapping on drums to accompany him. A good song with great lyrics. 4.5/5

Rain Song - Robert's personal favorite that he wrote. Not much to say about this one other than it is a slow song that relaxs the crowd before they start to rock out again. Robert's voice is what stands out in this song. He has different changes of pitch and tone. Bonham drumming is what is great at the end of the song along with the keyboard. 4/5

Rock and Roll - The DVD opener. Jimmy is playing guitar one and guitar two on the same guitar. He plays the opening riff first then quickly moves to the higher pitch riff. It sounds really cool. The most lively song on the album. 5/5

Stairway to Heaven - The Zeppelin song and they did not dissapoint in this version. Jimmy plays the first half of the song on the upper half of the doublenecked guitar which is the twelve string part. JPJ's keyboard is really soothing. Robert's voice is fantastic in this song. The solo comes at 6:30 and blows any other version out of THE water. He really really blows my mind with trills and hammer on and pull offs. It seems like this is the best part of the album and just kicks ARSE. All I can say is WOW. 10/5

Whole Lotta Love - They really get the crowd rolling wiht this song and I can understand why. Plant really shows what he is made of and shows it off. The Theramin solo is very trippy. That goes on for like 4 minutes and Jimmy just fools around with the machine. Then the incorporated songs start. Boogie Chillun'. It was first performed by John Lee Hooker. Zeppelin shows that their roots are still within them. A great song. 5/5

The Song Remains The Same - ANother song where Jimmy plays the twelve string and he just goes to town on this song. Robert has alot of fun and sings his heart out on the album and concert closer. Another Zeppelin classic off of HOTH. This live version is sooo much better than the album. GREAT drum work by Bonham. This is one of my favorites. 5/5

This album deserves more than a 5. Zeppelin went over the at this concert and had a great set list. Jimmy did a great job putting the album together. If you liked this I suggest to buy the DVD. The Song Remains The Same.

sonictheplumber STAFF (4)

July 11th 2005

All of the performance are below-par, especially for Zeppelin. The sogns themselves are good, but the playing is weak compared to other shows. Robert's voice is totally off most of the time.

3.5, in my opinion.

July 11th 2005

I'm confused. Everywhere I look this is listed either as DVD or as 2-disc CD set with a complete different track list. :confused:

July 11th 2005

Don't bother with it, if you want to buy it. Get the DVD titled Led Zeppelin. Much better.

July 11th 2005

Well Something Vague I guess you aren't a true Zeppelin fan because that's the way they came out to play if you say that those preformances are weak well you have to see that Zeppelin played sloppy because they just went out basically for a jam session. All the critics thought the same thing but they are the best band of all time. And Damrod, this is a two disk collection and the track list is the same as mine. Sorry I didn't declare that. Here is a site that proves me. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002I3D/qid=1121129957/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-6737776-5119209 Copy and paste it.

July 11th 2005

Decent review. A little more detail would've been good.This Message Edited On 07.11.05

July 11th 2005

True fans also admit that when a band produces a sloppy or bad album, that it's bad, right? Look at the Allman Brothers Band, most of their concerts are based on improvising, and I don't think I've ever heard anything as sloppy as this. That's a poor excuse, and it's insulting that you say that I'm not "a true Zeppelin fan.

August 26th 2005

a decebt review, u could be more especefic in each song, butit's ok, the objective of inform is done :D , this is my fauvorite album of led zeppelin, and one of the best albums i heard, after pink floyd's of course

excuse my english, im from argentina :P

December 16th 2005

Ugh, why did I give this a 3.5?

It's boring.

December 28th 2005

ive got the DVD and i dont mind it, but plants voice at the beginning isnt good, bonhams moby dick solo is awesome

January 26th 2006

This page is longer than that Takk page.

March 13th 2006

Love this album! Don't give a crap if the band sounds below par to some people. Dazed and Confused is absolutely amazing and I love Celebration Day and No Quarter.

April 15th 2006

If you would like to trip balls to led zeppelin, get the movie the song remains the same. Oddly enough, I've yet to find a live performance of Stairway that didn't disappoint me at one time or another... odd for one of the greatest live bands ever. I also have this on vinyl, along with prescenceThis Message Edited On 04.15.06

April 20th 2006

Not a great live album by any stretch of the imagination. Which goes to reason given at this point Zep was not a very good live band. They were ok. Usually always just ok past their very earliest years. I don't hate this record, I just think it is painfully average and excessive at times. But then again, that is what Zep tended to be live, so why should a live recording be any different....Whole Lotta Love nearly sinks this whole ship. And did we really need Moby Dick, of all things? A drum solo? Ugh....

June 8th 2006

I love Zeppelin, but it's true, they're sloppy live. That's okay, I'm sloppy live too. I'll still buy this album.

June 8th 2006

Zeppelin are not bad live, if you watch the new zeppelin dvd they pull off some amazing shit.
The reason this album was below par is that Robert plant was recovering from throat surgery and the whole project was behind schedule and rushed to meet a dead line, but it does have it's moments(stairway, no quater)
It is better on dvd that cd as alot has to do with visuals, plus the cd leaves off some of the songs on the dvd.

FM n LP fan1
June 8th 2006

i dont like led zeppelin :S

June 8th 2006

Robert didn't have throat surgery. In fact, the only time I can think of when he had surgery is when he got in a car accident in Greece.

Oh, and Led Zeppelin > Linkin Park

For me, anyway.This Message Edited On 06.08.06

June 9th 2006

If you read the Zeppelin book (stairway to heaven-Richard cole) it tells you about the production of this film/album and the obstacles encountered one of the obstcles was Roberts throat.
You can hear quite clearly his voice is a little raspy on some of the tracks.

Saxon Priest
June 9th 2006

The performance of Whole Lotta Love on this album is horrible. Overall I think Jimmy's guitar is too quite, it's no where near aggressive enough.

August 23rd 2006

thanks for giving stairway a 10, that's a bold move that most reviewers would fear above all things, but you pulled it off.