Achtung Baby was U2's 6th studio album. Recorded in 1991, U2's sound changed to a more personal one as opposed to the political sound heard on albums such as War. On this album, many songs have a more experimental and even funky sound to them. There are many classics on this album. To be honest, there is nothing at all to complain about this album, although, of course, some songs are stronger than others.
1. Zoo Station- Zoo Station is a great album opener. While the song doesn't compare to some of the brilliant songs on this album, it is still a worthy track. Bono's vocals have a strange effect on them, The Edge's guitar leads are great and the bass line is quite driving. The chorus is rather catchy. 3.5/5
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing- This song was one of the hits off this album. It is also the opening track of U2's 1990-2000 Best Of album. Another catchy song, with some slighty strange guitar sounds and a great drum beat. Bono's vocals are great as usual. 4.5/5
3. One- One was recently voted Best Song Of All Time by the readers of Q Magazine. While I was shocked that this song was so overrated, that doesn't stop it from being a true winner. One is a U2 classic with excellent lyrics and a very recognisable bass line. There are some good guitar parts in there as well. 5/5
4. Until The End Of The World- This song is another great one, The Edge's guitar solo being a highlight, along with some great lead stuff. Again, this song has a catchy bass line. This song is dedicated to Wim Wenders, whoever that may be. 4/5
5.Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses- This song has some rather dark lyrics, especially for U2. This is a good song, but one of those ones that seems to just be there, if you are a jumpy person, this would probably be one of the ones you'd skip. 3.5/5
6. So Cruel- Possibly the darkest song on the album, the lyrics are most likely about a failed relationship. Other than the lyrics, there is nothing too special to comment on, except for Bono's vocals, which had a lot of feeling. 4/5
7. The Fly- The Fly is a very rocking song. Great guitar riffs, great vocals from Bono, funky drum beats and some interesting stuff happening. One mentionable thing is Bono's voice singing 2 sets of lyrics in a high and low voice simultaniously. Great stuff. 4.5/5
8. Mysterious Ways- A true U2 classic. Great use of a wah pedal from the Edge. A simple, but very effective guitar part and excellent drum beat. One of the most uplifting songs out there, this song is a true classic, with lots of funk in it. One of my all time favourite songs. 5/5
9. Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World- A catchy number, but again, just one of those songs. Good lyrics, but nothing greatly interesting to comment on. Again, a simple melody, but very effective. 3.5/5
10. Ultra Violet (Light Your Way)- An Achtung Baby highlight. Some very funky guitar work, and Bono's vocals sound brilliant. An extremely uplifting song, with very uplifting lyrics. Good drumming as well, although nothing life changing. 5/5
11. Acrobat- Acrobat sounds similar to some of the 80's U2 stuff. Another uplifting track, a sort of "Don't let it get to you". Some great melodies happening here, with a top class guitar solo. 4.5/5
12. Love Is Blindness- I found this song to be great, but I was surprised that it was the album closer. While it's an ok song, there is nothing special about it imo, and it leaves the album on a fairly dismal note. Bono's vocals sound very echoey and The Edge uses a lot of feedback throughout the song. 4/5
Overall, Achtung Baby is one of my all time favourite U2 albums, second only to The Joshua Tree. Certainly my favourite 90's era album. Some real classics are on this album.