Department of Eagles
In Ear Park

by YourBiggestFan USER (2 Reviews)
October 21st, 2008 | 11 replies | 4,247 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dissected slowly, however, In Ear Park reveals itself to be an intriguing effort full of small flourishes that beg to be explored.

Grizzly Bear’s 2006 sophomore release Yellow House dreamily interpreted modern landscapes as huge forests, approaching towering skyscrapers with the same apprehension and dark sense of mystery that was once attributed to clumps of withering oak trees. Department of Eagles, the side project of Grizzly Bear guitarist Daniel Rossen, for the most part continues down the same twisted alleys as his more famous band on their new release In Ear Park.

This isn’t to say that these two bands are identical. ‘No One Does it Like You’ skips along with a ghostly boogie and immediate sense of satisfaction that Grizzly Bear usually avoids. The use of what sounds like a sixty year old bassoon at the beginning of the track immediately brings to mind some rock staples, specifically the vaudeville-styled pop-deconstruction of Sgt .Pepper’s and Radiohead’s stunning ‘Life in a Glasshouse’.

Further distancing Department of Eagles from their hairy relatives is their employment of a more intimate production value, rather than the specter of proximity Grizzly Bear toys with. ‘Teenagers’ begins with violin tugs where hear the hairs of the bow snapping from friction is almost audible, and the huge instrumental swells on ‘Waves of Rye’ foster a disorientation that accentuates the twirling lurch of the music. It may not be as polished as the reflective mahogany Yellow House was constructed out of, but the effect is oftentimes just as stunning.

Little sunlight streams through the overcast skies that hang heavy over In Ear Park, and a tense mood that yearns for resolution is generously splayed all over the album. While Rossesn’s uniformly strained vocals perfectly mesh with the continuously shifting sea of apparitions churning around him, the album feels a bit monotone taken in all at once. Dissected slowly, however, In Ear Park reveals itself to be an intriguing effort full of small flourishes that beg to be explored.

iamrockzorz

Album is too tight.

You know you don't have to use a sentence from your review for the summary.

Good review, but I think you're trying to hard to sound pretentious and such.

YourBiggestFan
October 21st 2008

I'll try not to try to hard next time

flamethisuser

I dig it quite much

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

superae
January 30th 2009

so damn beautiful. probably my favorite album of last year. when it comes down to it, i think this is better than fleet floxes, though i do dig them.This Message Edited On 01.30.09

gaslightanthem
March 18th 2009

I really like this, on par I think with anything Grizzly Bear have done. Both bands are great.

Kashmir09
November 17th 2009

Album is pretty amazing, still maybe would take Grizzly Bear's two newest, but it's definitely debatable, "Phantom Other" is one of my favorite songs ever I can proudly say

plane
February 2nd 2010

What Veckatimest should have been. More around here should listen to this.

robbizzel
August 22nd 2012

Much better than Veckatimest..

August 22nd 2012

This is good but I remember thinking it could have been so much more

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus