Mount Eerie
Lost Wisdom

by SnackaryBinx USER (31 Reviews)
October 13th, 2008 | 28 replies | 4,176 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mellow out on that long night during your lonely drive through scenery.

"They're kind of the reason why I got into playing music."

That's what Phil Elverum thinks of indie/noise pop band Eric's Trip. They're his favorite band, and on this LP, he is now singing alongside lead singer and guitarist of Eric's Trip, Julie Doiron and Fred Squire, respectively. The decision to record this album was spontaneous if anything else. Doiron and Squire, having a few days off of a door, made a surprise visit to Elverum. Elverum was a little afraid to ask if they would like to record an album, but the three decided for it and recorded it quickly in a couple of days. It shows, with only two of the songs being over 3 minutes long.

The results of it were fantastic. The production is the usual lo-fi production you would expect from Phil Elverum. The vocals are rough around the edges, and the guitar seems to be recorded back a little bit from the actual recorder, but it all adds to the album. Doiron and Elverum voices harmonize throughout the whole recording, and they compliment each other very well. There is mostly only a standard affair of instruments on this, with an acoustic guitar, electric guitar and bass being the primary instruments. There is a xylophone on "Flaming Home," but other than that, nothing much else. Also, drumming is sparsely used altogether on this album.

But, as I said, Doiron and Elverum voices tie together very well with other. Doiron's highs along with Elverum's lows correspond on a level of true beauty and emotiom. Their melancholic style of singing is the true emotion of this, with the guitar only adding to that sound. Even though they sound mostly melancholic throughout, Doiron's voice gives a sense of uplifting hope because of the way her voice just sounds altogether. The instrumentation on this album seems to take a backseat to the vocals and altogether is nothing to note, other than it is only used to rather add to the mood. The guitar played throughout the whole album is only simple strumming and it adds to the very mellow feel of the album altogether.

And that's what this album is, mellow. Perfect for those long, lazy nights, or that drive through the woods where all you have to confront you is scenery. That is where the rough production and and voices work best, not seeing to make your drive depressing, but rather to give a new feeling to the woods altogether, to make you feel more connected, as if you were just a stones throw away from your log cabin in the secluded wildlife. This album will accompany you through your midnight drive.

oh sleepy heart

Going for a walk?...

VictorHugo (4.5)
Review....

Lewis P. STAFF (4)
Lost Wisdom is one of my favorite songwriters finding himself exactly where I need him to be: fillin...

kodiaknoises (3.5)
Mt. Eerie welcomes the addition of local hero Julie Doiron for their newest full-length Lost Wisdom,...

October 13th 2008

yay. It's short, but I think I got the album across well.

P13

Nice and concise.

October 13th 2008

I love the artwork for this album, but the tracks are also pretty good. I'm going to listen to it again today before I rate itThis Message Edited On 10.13.08

I'm going to listen to it again today before I listen to it

that sentence confuses the hell out of me.

bastard

I'm going to listen to it again today before I listen to it

Were you even thinking when you wrote that?

October 13th 2008

lol listen to it = rate it

October 13th 2008

lol, now that makes a lot more sense.

any comments on the review guys?This Message Edited On 10.13.08

October 13th 2008

i thought their previous release was pretty lame

poweroftheweez
October 13th 2008

Maybe it's just me, but the way you described some of the instrumentation doesn't make it seem too interesting. Maybe elaborate a tad more on it?
Other than that, I like the review.

October 13th 2008

there isn't much to say. there's a guy in the background strumming on a guitar, and in some songs there is an acoustic guitar strumming with it.

poweroftheweez
October 13th 2008

Ok I guess I should probably listen to it.

LOST WISDOM THATS A BURZUM RIP

rasputin

This looks good.

LOST WISDOM THATS A BURZUM RIP

major roffles

fix:
very, very, very well
there is AN xylophone
"But, as I said, Doiron and Elverum voices complement each other very well. "
"and they compliment each other very, very, very well."
you spelled compliment two different ways among being repetitive
read the review over again out loudThis Message Edited On 10.13.08

October 13th 2008

All jokes aside, I like the album art for this.

plane

yeah gonna review this

October 13th 2008

meh, I fixed the two middle paragraphs, but lewis here will probably just write a better review altogether and make mine look like shit.

October 13th 2008

it's my background (the vinyl cover)

October 13th 2008

well, it's now my background.
and thanks for the help with the review.

October 13th 2008

That's a pretty badass background. I might have to change mine from Fenriz and Nocturno in the forest, haha.