Queen
Innuendo

good

by gblackman USER (25 Reviews)
October 10th, 2008 | 21 replies | 3,644 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ok, it offers nothing new musically but what it does have is something that a lot of ‘Queen’ albums were lacking throughout the ‘1980’s’… honesty!

Better.

By ‘1991,’ ‘Freddie Mercury’s’ health was rapidly becoming worse thanks to the ‘HIV’ virus he had caught around ‘1986.’ Musically there was nothing to suggest the pains he or the band were going through. ‘1989’s,’ “The Miracle,” had made suggestions of some personal problems but nothing so concrete.

“Innuendo,” the bands first release of the ‘1990’s,’ changes that. Most of the songs concentrate on a man reflecting the problems in his life, and even at times fighting to accept his problems, and maybe even giving up on life, before finally declaring that “The Show must go on.”

Not to say that “Innuendo” is a perfect album, it’s not, indeed it has the same problems that normal ‘Queen’ albums do, the golden word being ‘consistency.’ But it contains some of their best material for ages, (Perhaps since ‘1980’s’ “The Game”) and most importantly unlike their previous efforts in the ‘1980’s’ it has a ‘lasting quality.’

The album musically puts together all of the things that ‘Queen’ had done in the past and tries to put it into one album. Yes, there are some songs that don’t quite work or never work at all; this is mainly because they either stray off the subject or just plain ‘suck.’ But the main ‘selling point’ though is that all of the songs have been ‘updated’ to 90’s standards, and even though the band were by now in their mid 40’s they still despite all the murk and despair of most of the 80’s, (bar their early ‘1980-1982’ techno period) could still surprise us.

Take for example the opening track “Innuendo,” the song opens with an epic drum roll before preceding to its “Led Zeppelin,” ‘Kashmir’ style intro. The song reflects about all the problems in the world from war, hunger, and death, and how in life we the people will keep on trying to help these problems until the end of time. What also makes the song work is the brilliant, if not unexpected ‘Spanish Guitar’ solo in the middle section before leading to a ‘banjo solo’ that in turn transforms to an epic ‘Brian May’ guitar solo, which makes this one of the best experimental pieces by the band since… err… “Bohemian Rhapsody.” A true ‘late gem.’

But “I’m going slightly mad,” is arguably better. It starts of with a synthesized Smiths/Morrissey style intro that sounds like death-incarnate before ‘Morrissey,’ I meant ‘Freddie’ declares to everyone how he is not quite all there or just short of a shilling. What makes the song a great song and not just an indie/gothic copy is that the subject matter although funny is sung seriously enough and with a lot of conviction. Also ‘Queen’ has adapted ‘Gothic’ music to ‘their style’ of music, and not just made a ‘clichéd copy,’ like they had so many times in the past.

Past problems come back though in the pompous rock songs “Headlong,” and “I can’t live with you.” These define the definition ‘POWERPUFF ROCK.’ Ok they’re not in the awfulness of “Gimme the Prize” or “Don’t lose your head” but they still have woeful lyrics and unlike the first two tracks are simply about NOTHING.
“Don’t try so Hard,” is an average medley ‘filler’ song. Admittingly it has good intentions but it maybe tries to drive hard it’s message about ‘not pushing too hard in life,’ a little too much.

“Ride the Wild Wind,” is another gem. It’s kind of an extension of “The Miracle’s” “Breakthru,” but a much more serious song. I also like the “hey, hey, hey” chants for the chorus. It’s a fun yet honest song a you’ll know that… ‘It ain’t dangerous enough for me…’

“All God’s People,” suffers the same problems as “Don’t try so hard,” in that despite having a good message, it tries a little to hard to force feed it to the listener. Again not a bad song, but not great either.

The next song would coincidentally be the bands last single release with Freddie on the music video. The video itself doesn’t make for fun viewing as a obvious degrading ‘Freddie’ does his best to hide his ominous ending. Still the song “These are the days of our lives,” is a beautiful song and one of the bands best ballads. From beginning to end, maybe because of its historical relevance, or perhaps not, it engages the listener to listen to a man who is reflecting all of the things he has done in life and how they come and go but yet how one can still… ‘Look back and find that I still love you.’ Freddie delicately whispers ‘I still love you’ at the end of the song, a fitting end message by one of music’s great front men.

Well the album’s not over yet though. We next have “Delilah” a decent, if not obvious ‘filler’ ballad song, where “Freddie” dedicates over 3 minutes in tribute to his cat.

“The Hitman,” is awful. It beats “Headlong,” and “I can’t live with you,” for the title of worst POWERPUF rock song on this album by… A MILLION MILES.

“Bijou,” is a delicate, if not non-spectacular song. In truth it’s not really about much and just serves as a pre-cursor to the next song.

The last song, fittingly called “The Show Must go on,” is one of Queen’s finest. It starts of with a rapturous, yet epic synthesized intro before Freddie opens with one of his best lines of dialogue:

“Empty spaces, what are living for?
Abandoned places, I guess we know the score,
On and on, does anybody know what we are living for?”

The song simply asks about ‘the meaning of life,’ and whether or not it’s ‘worth living for.’ With an epic chorus and memorable conclusion the song proves to be one of ‘Queen’s’ most defining moments, and one of the bravest, especially considering that ‘Mercury’ himself was staring death in the face.

“I’ll face it with a grin,
I’m never giving in, on with the show.”

And on with the RECAP.

BIJOU
Not bad, not good either. Kinda boring. 2/5

THE SHOW MUST GO ON
An epic way to go out on. 5/5

That gives “Innuendo” an average of 3.16.

Comparing to others.

The Works 2.33
A Kind of Magic 2.44
The Miracle 2.8

TO CONCLUDE

So in the face of death ‘Queen’ were able to churn out a good one. Yes it has its weaknesses but for the first time in ages one was able to listen to a ‘Queen’ album with either skipping some tracks or puking in-between some songs.

“The Miracle,” had shown some promise, on “Innuendo” they built on that promise a bit more. Sadly by November ‘1991’ ‘Freddie Mercury’ would pass on and any chance the band would have had to make a follow on to this passed… or so it seemed.

3/5

Queen On Fire (Live at the Bowl)Queen The Platinum Collection
Queen Greatest Hits ThreeQueen Queen Rocks
Queen Made in HeavenQueen Live at Wembley 1986
Brendan Schroer STAFF (4)
Queen make one final legendary mark on the world of music... with astonishingly good results....

clairvoyant (3)
Queen goes out with a bang due to a concentrated effort from the band to produce one final album. Th...

nag*with*a*gun (3.5)

taylormemer
October 10th 2008

What's the point of putting the summary, and then having it at the start of the review.

Looks like we're working our way up to level 5! At this rate only four more reviews to go!

Meatplow
October 10th 2008

what is your favourite band and do you have a last.fm mr reviewer?

October 10th 2008

At this rate only four more reviews to go!
Thank fucking god. His recent reviews are as bad as the first one he posted. He hasn't learned anything. He's like that puppy that just has something slightly wrong with it and can't learn not to shit in the house.This Message Edited On 10.10.08

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

taylormemer
October 10th 2008

I have one of those puppies, although, it's an overweight fully grown chauiaua.

sickofantsid
October 10th 2008

I refuse to believe it until I see it. Knowing our luck he'll review the fucking things again in reverse order! This Message Edited On 10.10.08

SnackaryBinx
October 10th 2008

tbh, why hasn't he been banned yet?

October 10th 2008

I don't think you can be banned for just writing a bunch of queen reviews can you? This Message Edited On 10.10.08

SnackaryBinx
October 10th 2008

no, but most writers improve, and try reviewing something different.

October 10th 2008

No. The closest rule they have to something like that is getting banned for writing negative Appitite for Destruction reviews ;)

October 10th 2008

Thats not true or Med would have been banned 2 years ago ;)

October 10th 2008

I don't think Spat can/would ban Med, but he can enforce it on just about anyone else

fireaboveicebelow
October 10th 2008

I'll do it, I hate guns n roses

October 10th 2008

I'm tempted to test that...I really hate that album haha...
Anyways I'm fairly certain you can review whatever you want...the reviewer just needs to understand that his unwillingness to review other things will ultimately make people not care about his opinions...which I believe happened...14 or 15 reviews ago...

NotMrBlonde
October 10th 2008

moar liek appitite for mediocrity amirite

Golgoroth
October 10th 2008

I'm starting to think that gblackman = a spamming account of some other user.

NotMrBlonde

Ya think?

Edit: Also, I think his reviews are almost following a plotline. I mean, the ending makes it seem like there's some kind of twist coming up.This Message Edited On 10.10.08

Spamue1G
October 11th 2008

Hey, I'm still here after giving it a 3 star review... probably doesn't count, but oh well.
You can tell that this guy spends almost no time on these Queen reviews, they all follow the same formula and say pretty much the same thing and are generally boring and so it goes on and on and on... Indeed, look his Freddie Mercury review!
Sorry to badly try and write in his style there, but seriously, when you compare this to his Freddie Mercury review, you can tell that he spent very little time on this. Just give up, and review something you really like!

Xxplosive
October 24th 2008

I think this album is brilliant actually.

And again gblackman, you suck.

gblackman
October 24th 2008

Something I started with my first Queen studio album review. I think someone wanted a song run down so I thought ok.

So since then I've done the same.

It's also kinda fun to compare grades to their previous releases, nerdy also, but at the same time fun.

You can tell that this guy spends almost no time on these Queen reviews,

Well I spend as much time as I can.

they all follow the same formula and say pretty much the same thing

well alot of Queen albums followed a similar formular and pretty much said the same thing. I do mix things up though but its hard when you've gone through the same thing THIRTEEN TIMES.

Don't get your last point. If anything Mr Bad Guy is one of the most refreshing things ever done by anyone associated with Queen.

Sorry but it is hard to make bland albums sound exciting, I try my best trust me...

Still thanks for reading.

think this album is brilliant actually.

Never said it was bad did I???

And again gblackman, you suck.

Wow, what a mature way of arguing, you're right I do suck. LOL!

Romulus
June 9th 2010

I love the title track off this