Vivian Girls
Vivian Girls

by Lewis P. STAFF
October 8th, 2008 | 32 replies | 12,216 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: holy hype?

There are 21 minutes and 27 seconds on Vivian Girls’ self-titled debut. In those 21 minutes are 10 songs about– well, I don’t know what the lyrics are. Vivian Girls is one of those lo-fi albums of the most whimsical proportions: this is girl-fronted surfer pop named after heroines of a graphic novel, and the point seems less about caring about what they’re singing about and more about just getting there. So, yes, this is meant to be fun and no, I don’t think you’re supposed to analyze it. This is the kind of album that– before they BLEW. UP.– you could find on blogs between the new Mars Volta and Grouper.

Now, being re-released under label In The Red, Vivian Girls is getting the full treatment, taking critical praise and following the 2008 mantra of being the Small Band meeting the Big World. I mean, didn’t you hear that the band sold out of all their first edition copies in just two weeks? Or three, maybe four. I’m not sure. All I can really gather from this press release is that, thankfully, Vivian Girls don’t aim to break new ground but I am to take the innocence of their sound as a New Wave-influenced refreshing wet slap to the face in the wake of all their “sonic competition.” So I remember No Age and I put that on instead.

And there it is. I simply do not want to listen to Vivian Girls. I’ve had it for nearly two weeks now, and in the time it took this all-girl trio to break it big in a overflowing “New York loft-pop” underground scene, I’ve just found the patience to construct a decent sentence to support a completely indifferent opinion. There are some pretty melodies to this noisy pop stuff, like when the chorus of “All The Time” breaks down into cymbal clashes and a chorus of coos emit from the static. The one-two shuffle in “Damaged” is the album’s sweetest pleasure, elevated by sunny vocal harmonies and a well placed electric arpeggio. “Where Do You Run To” hits gold with the refrain of its title, and “Never See Me Again” is poised to become a raucous country rocker before it shifts simply into frantic, cymbal-clashing shoegaze. All these moments hit the right spot when the mood strikes, which just isn’t enough.

The problem could very well lie in the production. Working at breakneck speed, Vivian Girls is sloggy, hampered by the cloying feeling that the lo-fi shtick is simply too on-the-nose. All the songs sound alike as background noise (though the foreground doesn’t clear the fog), fit with an overpowering percussion, nearly indistinguishable guitar chords, under produced vocals and a bass that barely registers (except when it begins as the focus, as in the echoing chambers of “Such A Joke”). Critically, I must take this poor production into account, though my instinct tells me that that is very much the point. So, critically, I try to observe how Vivian Girls works as fun, self-aware pop disguised as shoegaze-punk-surf. It doesn’t. Is there potential here? Sure, but when I can’t place my finger on what exactly the problem is, it’s hard to see that Bigger Picture.

Jenny Hval VisceraYALL Drink From Between Our Hair

Zebra
October 8th 2008

sounds terrible

October 9th 2008

Ahhh new york loft pop, my thoughts precisely.

AggravatedYeti
October 9th 2008

my friend from BK thinks these chicks are the shit...ehhh.

They're alright, 'Such a Joke' & 'Tell the World' are pretty cool I guess.

jorge22s
October 9th 2008

OK, it not fair tu put it a 5 rating, but i like this album, maybe a 3.

Electric City

so why did you give it a 5

poweroftheweez
October 9th 2008

Good review. 10 songs and not even a half hour. That's no fun at all.

Doppelganger
October 9th 2008

giving 5 making ;you it not fair ? ?!!

Elixirs
October 10th 2008

10 songs and not even a half hour. That's no fun at all.
is this sarcasm it better be!

October 10th 2008

Spat, I actually think it's AMG that's doing it too.

October 10th 2008

Well, I remember seeing in somebody else's ratings that AMG had to be weighted very high up to make sure that the rating is
what it is. If you try to isolate p4k's ratings and assume that all the other ratings are given an equal weighting then:

x*85 + (1-x)*[(70+70+70+50)/4] = 75 then x = .5, meaning p4k has 50% of the say on that one. However, I'm pretty sure AMG
has some extra weight as well, which probably means that sputnik has a rather devalued weighting. Pretty lame.

This Message Edited On 10.10.08

October 10th 2008

Ya that's what I was thinking. AMG probably gets some say but p4k takes over. That's interesting to see the Guardian apparently owning it there. Let's just pretend that sputnik's weight is upwardly mobile instead of just lame and devalued.

October 10th 2008

Pretty sure magazines are weighted higher than online publications and then it depends on popularity of the online publication.

acespeed
October 22nd 2008

I saw that thing on metacritic too and it threw me for a loop. I mean, this album's alright, but the way that critics are falling over themselves to laud these girls is a bit beyond me. Maybe they are trying to make up for the early 90s or maybe they are glad that indie pop became disaffected? I don't know. All I know is that I'm not going to trip over myself to laud these girls but will give them a terrorist fist jab if they come through my part of the country.

Kiran
October 23rd 2008

Don't like.

YourBiggestFan
November 12th 2008

The production is one of the best parts! Put on some headphones and it just envelopes you.

Docking it for having a short run time I thought was odd, I mean, that's just not what they're
about. Substance, I realize, is also in the ears of the beholder, but I certainly think that
theres something to this album.

This Message Edited On 11.12.08

November 12th 2008

I'm not docking it for having a short run time.

YourBiggestFan
November 17th 2008

could have fooled me

November 17th 2008

i did

timbo8
January 19th 2010

last.fm "highly recommends" Vivian Girls to me (I've been into lo-fi alot lately)...but from what I've heard here and there...I don't know if these girls are for me

April 22nd 2010