Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet
Requiem for a Dream

by Sam Knight USER (28 Reviews)
October 7th, 2008 | 20 replies | 8,948 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mansell's masterpiece.

How do you sum up one of the most inspirational movies of the 21st century? Requiem For A Dream is without a doubt a brilliant piece of work. Every tiny detail is crafted into perfection, from the unusual rave club scenes right up to the much slower ending. Don't take the soundtrack any differently, though. I could honestly say that this is Clint Mansell's best work, and if some aren't familiar with his music I recommend it strongly. He has seeked help with some new faces this time, the soothing harmonic sounds of the Kronos Quartet. Besides sounding too much like Immediate Music without the choir, the violin pieces are easy listening, and so is the album. The highlight of the album is definitely "(Summer) Overture", which acts as a haunting intro compressed with piano, guitar and flute elements. The epic feel is unmatched, even though the tempo is dramatically different to the version heard on the trailer. You cannot say in words how good this song is, and must be listened by any soundtrack fan.

What Requiem For A Dream has done is create a true feel of the movie. Some soundtracks these days are only blown out with featured bands to drive the movies popularity along. (Transformers)... The RFAD Soundtrack does not want the average Trivium dude to listen to this, regardless of how much a fan he is of the movie. It is made to only perfectly fit the mood. And if it involves music about a flim with crackheads, vulgur language and Marlon Wayans then make no exceptions. It has a little bit of everything, from electronica, dance, rock, pop, orchestra and hip-hop. Many influences are drawn in, and they are completely performed by a Quartet group, further proving how modern technology could fail to the golden oldies. More stunning pieces introduced, "Coney Island Dreaming" is a dreamy (no pun) song filled with violin pieces beautiful enough to be considered work of Hilary Hahn. "Party", on the other hand, is a drugged-out version of The Crystal Method mixed with soundtrack. The idea sounds strange, but provides enough bells and whistles to make you bounce. "High on Life" is what the name suggests; grab a bong and kick up your feet on the couch. Smooth listening, keeps the mood of the movie simply fantastic.

I cannot go into detail on more songs, but I'll sum it up now. Requiem For A Dream is music from an experienced group of people. The type of people who know and appreciate the music for what it is. If you haven't watched the movie, I recommend you do soon. Its a very touching story based on the lives of young people addicted to drugs. We haven't had a movie with such a powerful message ever since Al Gore decided to make a threatening situation sound like a snooze-fest. Don't do drugs, do the sound instead. You won't instantly be blown away by the soundtrack, it takes more than a few listens to sink into your head and will soon stand out as something you could look back at (or at least represents something you would think about generations to come). This is Mansell's masterpiece.

Recommended tracks:
"Summer Overture"
"Tense"
"Dr. Pill"
"Party"
"Hope Overture"
"Southern Hospitality"
"Fear"
"The Beginning of the End"

Various Artists Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Official SoundtrackVarious Artists The Matrix: Music From The Motion Picture
Enigma Seven Lives, Many FacesFort Minor The Rising Tied - Tour Edition
Enigma MCMXC a.D.Linkin Park Xero
Zachary Powell (4)
Clint Mansell brings in the Kronos Quartet and makes music beautiful and acceptable enough to go alo...

KritikalMotion
October 7th 2008

I really like this thing.

need to edit the track list to include the other seasonsThis Message Edited On 10.07.08

Crysis
October 7th 2008

Movie was pretty fuckin awesome.

JAV

1934 Comments

Sounds like a really short album.

KritikalMotion
October 7th 2008

its missing 18 tracks from the track list. its 48 minutes.This Message Edited On 10.07.08

MrHell
October 7th 2008

Yeah, I only realized that now. ^^ Edit, any mods?

JAV

1934 Comments

That would explain it.
I could have sworn there was more music than that in the movie.

Meatplow
October 7th 2008

Whilst I found the movie good to some degree these claims are just asking to rebutted.

Good review otherwise.

ClearTheLane
October 7th 2008

yeah Summer Ouverture is what makes the movie special, pretty much.

ikarus
October 7th 2008

idk the song "Meltdown" could make me pull the hair of my head it is so intense

EndlessClockwork
October 7th 2008

Awesome movie and soundtrack. Mansell's soundtrack for The Fountain is just as great.

Metalikane

^If not better.

Windows
October 7th 2008

You've just reminded me that I need to watch this again. Good review.

EndlessClockwork
October 7th 2008

Haha, yeah you're right Kane...that's what I meant. The Fountain soundtrack was more ethereally beautiful and epic. However, the movie itself was interesting, but not as great.This Message Edited On 10.07.08

Metalikane
October 7th 2008

However, the movie itself was interesting, but not as great.

I'll agree with you there.

poweroftheweez
October 7th 2008

I really want to see The Fountain. I love this and Pi, and the soundtrack is just glorious.

fireaboveicebelow
October 7th 2008

the fountain is the best easily, director and composer

shouldn't the artist be clint mansell?

Shadowskos
October 7th 2008

The movie and the soundtrack (from what I can remember) was damn good.

Shattered_Future
October 7th 2008

Soundtrack to The Fountain is definitely Mansell's masterpiece, not this one. Not to say this is BAD, it's just The Fountain is much more interesting musically.

kumbayasid
October 17th 2008

This is a beautiful album... that's all there is to say about it, really. It's beautiful.

xfearbefore
September 25th 2010

Woah, a review for the score to Requiem? And a good one too! Definitely going to pos this one.

Everything about the film is a masterpiece, which includes the score, well worth the five you've given it, just incredible music that maintains it's emotion and power even without the images from the film to guide us.