Rush

by wakeupdead USER (15 Reviews)
October 2nd, 2008 | 20 replies

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Rush at their best, recommended to anyone who is into progressive rock or metal.

Rush. Remember those guys? You know... the band that inspired many many drummers, bassists, and guitarists all over the world. Sure some of their mid-late 1980's albums weren't up to par with anything they had wrote in the 70's, but they were (and still are) indeed icons of the progressive/metal genre.

2112 is one of those iconic albums that will forever be enjoyed by mostly anyone into rock music. The progressive side of Rush starts, and reaches its peak, right here on this 6 song epic. The title track clocks in at just over 20 minutes, and is considered by many people (including myself) to be one of Rush's best songs. The guitar is powerful, yet not all that heavy, but it still really packs a punch. Alex Lifeson's guitar work really shines on this album, especially on the classic A Passage To Bangkok. Geddy Lee's bass skills are unmatched, and Neil Peart's drumming is incredible. Yes, this is indeed Rush's best release to date. But, let's get into a little more detail, shall we?

What can I say about Alex Lifeson? He is one of my largest inspirations as a guitarist, and his skills have come a long way since their self-titled debut album (not to say he sucked back then, but his writing has gotten a hell of a lot better). His sound is very thick on this album, and it compliments the bass guitar perfectly. Unlike some bands, he doesn't rely on distortion to play a fine rhythm or lead, and he is one of those guys who (as it seems) believes that when it comes to soloing, it isn't the quantity... it's the quality that counts. Listen to the solo at the end of The Twilight Zone as a perfect demonstration of this. He doesn't play fast, but the solo sounds great. The tone on all the songs sounds like I could be floating in space as I'm listening (excluding Lessons). Lifeson is, was, and will continue to be an inspiration, and an icon to many new or old guitarists for generations to come.

Geddy Lee is my personal favourite bass player of all time. He incorporates melodic, tasteful, and powerful bass lines to each and every song, and he sings at the same time!! His vocals are often described as a high-pitched screech, or scream with a strong melodic presence. That pretty much sums it up. Picture an owl as the lead singer of Rush, and then picture Geddy Lee and you got about the same result. But, that isn't to say the vocals are bad because they fit the music extremely well.

Now onto Neil Peart. Here's a guy that is exempt from winning a certain world's best drummer award because he won way too many times. That should tell you something... he is the world's best drummer. His beats and rhythm's are quite complex (save Tears) on 2112 and Rush was very fortunate to aquire him. He uses many different styles and techniques, including one of my favourites, when he uses the foot pedal on his high hats. Remember that dance beat? Unh-Ts-Unh-Ts-Unh-Ts. Very nice example of this during the guitar solo on A Passage To Bangkok. His skill of paradiddles, complex rhythm's, and drum rolls are unbeatable. Neil is my favourite drummer, will always be my favourite drummer, and I don't believe anyone will ever surpass his skill in my lifetime.

The only complaints I have about this album is that the sound quality isn't 100%. The guitar sounds quiet at times, and vocals sound very loud at other times.... but come on people, it was 1976. And also that fact that Lessons could have been better, as it isn't Rush's best song here, but does feature some very nice acoustic lines.

Rush's best album 2112 is an album I will treasure till the day I die. I recommend you buy this album right away if you like bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, Dream Theater, or even Iron Maiden.

AC/DC Flick of the SwitchKillswitch Engage Killswitch Engage: Remastered
Slayer Hell AwaitsFinger Eleven Them vs. You vs. Me
Triumph ClassicsAC/DC High Voltage (International)
4.3

wakeupdead
October 3rd 2008

Comments anyone? I think it's a pretty decent review. Don't ya'll?

taylormemer

[...]and reaches it's peak[...]

"It's" requires no apostrophe here.

Well there you have it. My first review in about a year, hoped you liked it. If you don't like it then please give some constructive crtisism so that I can improve, and satisfy your needs as a reader.

Don't put this in a review. Put this in your above comment.

[...]not to say he sucked back then[...]

Sucked is just not a word I'd use unless you can work it in with some quirkiness i.e. in a joke.

Geddy Lee is my personal favourite bass player of all time.
Now onto Neil Peart
Now that's talent right there.

Things like this are just, somewhat annoying to read. Yes you can make the review personal, but things like "I love this and I love that" make it more irrelevant the reader who might not be familiar with the band/album, or are more interested in just the facts, not your deep down personal opinions.

The only complaints I have about this album is that the sound quality isn't 100%...but come on people, it was 1976.

So what does 100% exactly mean? There are so many things you could reference this to. And you can't exactly complain because take any album from this era and compare it with what's available now and yeah you could argue that the sound quality it different, but considering the technology at the time etc. the sound quality on this particular album is fine.

72haha72
October 3rd 2008

Yeah, review was decent, but in my opinion details lacked some depth, your descriptions are somehow superficial. You talked about the members' talent but didn't talk enough about the music
itself.

But it's still a decent review

By the way, ths album rules!This Message Edited On 10.02.08

marksellsuswallets

wakeupdead (14 Reviews)...?

Iluvatar
October 3rd 2008

You reviewed the band more than you did the album

Thor
October 3rd 2008

Title track is so amazing, the rest is forgettable and mediocre.

razedtotheground

awesome review for a great albumThis Message Edited On 10.03.08

Digging: Electric Wizard - Time to Die

FR33L0RD
October 3rd 2008

Title track 2112 ,seem to me, an absolute metal classic.

wakeupdead
October 3rd 2008

Thanks for the critisism taylormemer...I made a few of those changes.
@marksellsuswallets: what do you mean by that? lol

Iluvatar
October 3rd 2008

Needs more description of the music on this album/opinions on it

marksellsuswallets

@marksellsuswallets: what do you mean by that? lol

72haha72 said "great first review" but he changed it now haha

kygermo
October 3rd 2008

You inspired me to take this out of my collection and have a listen. Its maaaaad good. I dont understand why people cant dig Rush. well, the obvious reason being Geddy Lee, but even then thats a bit shallow. Rush is cool in my book.

AndyRictor2000

RUSH FTW!!!!

72haha72
October 3rd 2008

haha yeah, I read something you had in the review like "this is my first review in a while" but I was distracted and thought you were saying this was your first review... my bad! haha

McP3000

bands not metal

like at all

fireaboveicebelow

nope, they're not.

the recommendations at the end don't make sense

johnnyblaze
October 3rd 2008

I could not believe it when Colbert informed me these guys aren't in the R&R Hall of Fame. They STILL play and write good music for JC's sake! Godly.

McP3000
October 3rd 2008

well journey still makes music but they suck

Rush is good, and should be in the Rock N Roll hall of fame, but the age thing has nothing to do with it

fireaboveicebelow
October 3rd 2008

wait journey is in the hall of fame?

November 19th 2010

71957 Comments

just think of what my life might be
in a world like i have seen
i dont think i can carry on
carry on this cold and empty life

best song ever