Bring Me the Horizon
Suicide Season

by Loxxorz USER (2 Reviews)
September 29th, 2008 | 37 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bring Me The Horizon are back with unexpected changes and an album that may turn heads in the metal community.

Bring Me The Horizon was once a band that the metal community scoffed and laughed at. They were too scene and they were trying to hard. The band decided to change all that, whether for the right or wrong reasons. Oli admits that the change in musical direction was partially due to the band thinking that the deathcore scene was dying. Suicide Season is, indeed, a great departure from their previous effort Count Your Blessings. The music isn't completely devoid of deathcore, so old fans can rest assured they will get a taste of the old Bring Me The Horizon.

The album kicks off with single "The Comedown." This song is full of energy and is a good opener for the album. It serves as a segue from the old into the new. That being said, it's still one of the weaker songs on the album. Suicide Season shows Bring Me The Horizon expanding on their sound and accepting those possible emo and hardcore influences. "It Was Written In Blood" almost seems like it could go down in the books as a classic emo song. One thing that I found very refreshing on this album was the lack of typical deathcore vocals. Oli still gives a nice roar or growl occassionally, but the majority of the vocals on this album are a more expressive and emotional scream. There have been complaints about this vocal style shift, but it compliments the music perfectly and really comes off as more genuine that before.

The flow of this album is also amazing. The tracks seemed to be perfectly arranged for maximum enjoyment. The beginning of the album starts off strong with a bit of a new sound that leads into a different side of Bring Me The Horizon in "It Was Written In Blood". As that track trails off the album takes on a brutal almost death metal assault. "Death Breath" through "Diamonds Aren't Forever" is a touch of death metal with a little bit of -core flavoring. Soon after this assault ends, pianos begin. "No Need For Introductions..." is reminiscent of Slipknot's Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat in the way that it shifts so suddenly from light jazzy piano to death metal. And really, probably one of the greatest moments of the album is when Oli screams "After all the **** you put me through, I should have pissed on you." at the songs climax. The closing track "Suicide Season" is nothing short of amazing and probably shows the most growth for the band. It's an almost experimental track that recalls The Ocean's Precambrian in it's introduction and other peak moments. The album does drop in intensity and drag on in small bits, but overall it is fantastic. All in all this is an album to write home about. All the deathcore and Bring Me The Horizon haters should at least give them one last shot with this album.

Songs worth note: "Chelsea Smile," "It Was Written In Blood," "Sleep With One Eye," "Suicide Season"

user ratings (2027)
2.8
good

bustyagunz
September 29th 2008

so wait, is this jazzy-emo-death-metalcore-core?
not the greatest review, and not very long, but i wont neg cuz there was at least some effort and description. and the score doesn't seem fanboy-ish, so this, if biased, isnt by all that much.

Remembrance

Members also liked:
The Devil Wears Prada - Plagues

Pretty much sums up what i think of BMTH also.
Don't understand how people can like his voice.

Loxxorz
September 29th 2008

"so wait, is this jazzy-emo-death-metalcore-core?"

Ha, it's got some elements of emo and death metal. There is also just one small section of jazz piano. Over all, I'd say the album fits more into the metalcore genre rather than deathcore. Sorry if the review seems a little short or that it lacks enough description. This is just my second review for this site so I'll apologize for that. Also, this cd literally came out hours ago... so my review might get bumped off anyway.

AtavanHalen

lol @ first sentence
lol @

Pebster49
September 29th 2008

lol, that is a pretty lolable line, I have to say. The album cover kinda sucks, except she's kinda cuteThis Message Edited On 09.29.08

OllieS

2031 Comments

I heard 'Chelsea Smile' and it didn't do much for me. Those 'emotial screams' you talked about sounded dreadful.

The album cover is retarded, too.

SylentEcho
September 29th 2008

This band blows. The songs are weak. Also the vocalist of this band is a dick, he forced a groupie chick of his band to have sex with him and when she refused, he punched her lights out.

2muchket!
September 29th 2008

Lulz BMTH have changed a lot on this album and it's pretty much for the better.

Also there is no emo influences on this album, nor do they play DM anymore. After being wrongly labelled as metalcore for a while, now they do actually metalcore.

I always lol at claims that oli sykes is a dick because he reportedly pissed on that girl. He didn't get prosecuted for it and the venue were it happened at even lifted their ban of BMTH.

Besides if he did good on him, women folk need taking down a peg or 4 :angry:

SnackaryBinx
September 29th 2008

This band isn't that good, neither is The Devil Wears Prada.

rasputin

Band sucks.

SnackaryBinx
September 29th 2008

along with band sucks, I gotta stop taking my friends band suggestions, they aren't on a hot streak to say the least.

DethMagnetic
September 29th 2008

Why are these guys listed under Death Metal??

conduit

a four!?

this band sucks.

and once you put "I" in the review or, "I think", the review is automatically void.

marksellsuswallets
September 29th 2008

Yeah...death-core...and this isn't released in the US yet?

StreetlightRock
September 29th 2008

This is a much better record than Count Your Blessings.This Message Edited On 09.29.08

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

September 29th 2008

Geesh, another band to abuse Diamond's Are Forever. At least Embrace Today's rendition was gut punching but I will still check that song even though I hate this band with a passion.

Digging: Tiamat - Clouds

ikarus
September 29th 2008

"jazzy" has to be the worst word in the English language.

HighandDriving
September 29th 2008

I'm willing to bet big bucks that this album sucks just as much as the last one.

rasputin
September 29th 2008

Why are these guys listed under Death Metal??

because they are death metal

um no