Sever Your Ties
Safety in the Sea

by Ryan Cleary USER (16 Reviews)
September 20th, 2008 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bottom Line: A fun, safe effort by new kids on the block Sever Your Ties. SITS is a great new mix of styles and shows that SYT have created their own unique sound, freshening up a genre that has become very boring in recent years.

Sever Your Ties, on the surface, appears to be another band playing the much maligned (and rightly so) Christian Hardcore/Post-Hardcore genre, which aside from existing as an essential oxymoron, is at the present time flooded with hordes of rather ordinary bands with little or nothing to offer. Fortunately, this debut full length is far from ordinary, and at least to this reviewer, is a breath of fresh air in a very, very stagnant genre.

Right from the get-go, the ferocious album opener, Voice Like A Nova jump-starts the album with an explosive romp. Vocalist Sean Marnul's anguished scream is fresh, unique and full of conviction, and powerful guitar and drum rhythms plow forward throughout the song. Simple, yet intelligent song-writing is evident, as Marnul alternates between a tortured scream and hefty clean singing.

Ensuing tracks, After the Storm and Hand in Hand display the same energy and passion, but with varied instrumentation that sound a bit like Demon Hunter. Synth sections playing over the guitar, which in turn swap quickly over into choppy semi-breakdowns give the songs solid differentiation from the opener. The band is capable of merging aspects of hardcore, metalcore and punk and combined with their vaguely philosophical vocals enable them to generate a fresh, fun new sound. Lead single Captive, is a spacey song with more clean singing that gives the best overall look into Marnul's actual singing. Although sounding a bit generic, his true clean singing is solid and Captive is an excellent song, argueably the best on the CD.

SITS instrumentation is also excellently done. Solid riffing and heavy, driving drum beats, coupled with a thick bassline do well to complement the wide range of vocals found on the album. Although nothing terrific or mind blowing, the well balanced, conservative guitar and drum work, do a little to help this bands cause, but the real item that seperates them from the rest of the pack is their extensive use of synth. For those readers who are familiar with Sky Eats Airplane, sections of some songs, especially To The Pacific have a very Nintendo-Esque synthline mixed in. If it sounds strange in writing, it comes across as nothing short of epic, sort of boosting the overall feel of the song.

This effort however, is not without its negatives, although they are few and far between. This Is What You Get is one of those songs in which a band just does not know when to stop, repeating the lyric with the song's title far too many times. Things Are Better Left Unsaid, is another not so hot song that finds the band venturing into pop-punk territory and comes off just plain corny, a lapse in song writing on the band's part.

Those flaws aside, Saftey in the Sea is without a doubt worth a listen to casual and serious fans alike. A fun, safe effort full of passion, conviction and attitude it is definately a few cuts above most of the trash that comes out of this genre. Although some tracks were not mentioned, among them Here I Am and closer Ashamed, they are excellent as well and are not to be skipped. A horrible rip off of Don't Fear The Reaper is the actual ending of the CD, but was not really worth talking about.

The Clear Best

Bad Religion Stranger Than FictionIntronaut Prehistoricisms
3.2
good

September 20th 2008

I haven't written a review in a few months and this probably blows but point out any silly mistakes and I will greatly appreciate it.

asdemonsburn
September 20th 2008

I liked their ep a long time ago, these guys are just a solidstate-core clone band

September 20th 2008

Never heard older stuff, i liked it personally but its been so long since i heard any music i guess anything would have sounded good

EndlessClockwork
September 20th 2008

I agree that the Don't Fear the Reaper cover was pretty bad...

P13
September 21st 2008

Rule: Do NOT cover (Don't Fear) the Reaper

jrowa001
September 23rd 2008

this album isnt bad. i like a few songs and they play this style pretty good

September 24th 2008

lol my reviews never get comments its a fucking joke

AmericnZero02
January 27th 2009

lol my reviews never get comments its a ****ing joke

I read this when you first wrote it but I was probably busy at the time so here's my comment now...

Good review. I agree with all of your points to a degree. This is a fun occasional listen but SYT don't do enough to make them stand out. The synthesizer is a nice touch whenever it is used though. It's too bad their keyboard player left the band.This Message Edited On 01.27.09This Message Edited On 01.27.09

Digging: Copeland - Ixora

wewillbelegends
January 9th 2010

Great review. I disagree a little here and there, but this album just really clicked for me.... not sure why. It's not technically amazing, but it all just works so well.

HaloDude442
September 16th 2011

album rules. I have a thing for the standard post-hardcore sound these guys have going, and they pull it off pretty well