Lisa Hannigan
Sea Sew

by Kiran EMERITUS
September 19th, 2008 | 33 replies | 15,875 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sea Sew is a delightful indie/folk-pop effort from the former Damien Rice back up singer that not only establishes herself as a solo artist but as one to keep your eye on, at that.

It’s quite hard to think of Lisa Hannigan outside of the Damien Rice back up singer context. Her work on both of his full lengths, O and 9 was outstanding, providing a contrast to Damien Rice’s depressing, emotion-wrought vocals. After doing a lead vocal part on 9 Crimes, fans everywhere cried in anguish as the pair announced their professional split, citing their relationship "has run its creative course". A year and a half later and Lisa releases Sea Sew, an album that not only proves herself as a solo artist but as one to keep your eye on, at that.

An important thing to note is that Sea Sew is nothing like Lisa’s work on O or 9. Whilst the previously mentioned were depressing and moody, Sea Sew is, more often than not, uplifting and bouncy, absolutely packed with delightful arrangements and playful melodies. Her time with Damien must’ve certainly made her weary, as her performances on this album cast away the listless quality of some of her previous work and display a Lisa that is bursting with creativity. Her arrangements stray away from the typical singer songwriter methods and although not completely original, contain enough quirks to demand the listeners’ interest.

Accompanied by her guitar, a cello, violins, trumpets and a piano, the best arrangements are often those that use simple pieces to full emphasis, such as in “Pistachio” where a complimenting piano and trumpet duo gracefully float behind her voice. Whilst not complex, nor technically difficult, they way the three pieces play off each other make the song, creating a wonderful sense of rapture.

Lisa Hannigan has the sort of voice that just seems to float along, like a boat slowly drifting with the wind to its own pace and direction, yet she manages to control it with ease and proficiency, reflecting a musical maturity far beyond her years. Her low-key melodic approach and ethereal charm on songs like the opener “Ocean and a Rock” and “Lille” make for a mesmerizing performances. She also proves she’s still capable of the intimate, breathy style that made her so adored by Damien Rice followers, as she displays in songs such as “Venn Diagram”, as she sings longingly, “sleeping as we do on opposite sides of a venn diagram”.

Sea Sew is not only a vast improvement on her work with Damien Rice but also an exceptional indie-folk record that sets the bar high for other singer-songwriter work in 2008. Lisa Hannigan proves to be more than just a back up singer and creates a distinct style while doing so; a trait that will be sure to win over many fans, new and old.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra IIBeirut The Rip Tide
Alex Turner Submarine OSTClive Tanaka y Su Orquesta Jet Set Siempre No. 1
Robyn Body TalkThe Concretes WYWH

radianteclipse
September 19th 2008

This album is awesome, actually a lot better than Damien Rice's "9" was. It's probably for the best they parted ways.

sadmafioso
September 19th 2008

oshi didn't know about this. must get.

September 19th 2008

Yeah, imagine my surprise when I stumbled across it a couple days ago.
We'll have to see how Damien Rice's next album is because if his first album without Lisa is as good as Lisa's first album without him, I'd be a pretty satisfied guy.

JumpTheF**kUp

do want

StreetlightRock
September 22nd 2008

Yumyum, great review, do want indeed.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Lucid

This vs. Amanda Palmer's solo debut?This Message Edited On 09.22.08

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

September 22nd 2008

I guess it really depends what you're into. Amanda Palmer's latest is more baroque, cabaret, outrageous stuff, whilst this is a lot more relaxed, folk with pop sensibilities, with Lisa's amazing voice carrying the songs. Lisa is better looking too.

ALSO, stoked this got featured. Hoping more people check this out. This Message Edited On 09.22.08

sickofantsid
September 22nd 2008

heard some demos she did for this a while back. Beautiful voice and what a woman!

brandtweathers

2007 Comments

interesting. good contribution

StreetlightRock
September 23rd 2008

Mmm, i definitely like this. I wish it was a little more varied though, like you said, it tends to float with ease, but it'd be cool with a little oomph.

jrowa001
September 23rd 2008

i like her voice from the DR albums, will have to get this soon

Athom

i must have this.

September 24th 2008

Yeah Streetlight, I have to agree with you when you say that a little oomph would've gone a long way, although despite that, I still love this.

Fire Away
October 2nd 2008

I looove the last three songs on this album.

kalkal50
October 5th 2008

hey kirgasm, review is pretty fresh

ive been meaning to listen to this so I will pretty soon

ohhhcomely
December 19th 2008

must get this. Been on a huge Damien Rice binge for the last couple of weeks, even if it's only two albums.

December 19th 2008

More people need to discover how amazing her voice is

marksellsuswallets
March 9th 2009

Watching this girl on Colbert right now...quite the qt. Song's pretty neat to, probably will get this soon.
On a side note, is this the girl that Rootless Tree was written about or was that about Hannah something-or-other...

Dillsnufus
March 11th 2009

Not ever into female singers, idk not my thong but I love this one. Her voice is like a dream and distinct. I admit first saw her on colbert but nonetheless I hope she does well

March 13th 2009

She was still performing with Damien when Rootless Tree was recorded, so I don't think it was written about her. Glad to see she's getting attention doing the American circuit.