Ludacris
Back For The First Time

by Mungo USER (8 Reviews)
September 17th, 2008 | 14 replies | 9,173 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ludacris proves to the world that he is no one trick pony on his first album that started his Hip Hop career on a good note.

When Ludacris first arrived to the scene of music, he was Scarface's first hope to bring in alot of money for Def Jam's new label, Def Jam South. The question is, did Scarface make the right choice of signing Ludacris? Well look at his career now, he is a well known star making his way into big films and was even in an oscar nominated flick known as Crash.

It's obvious that Scarface made the right choice so now let's take a trip back to memory lane and see the music that he was first known for. That single is "What's Your Fantasy" featuring Shawnna and while it is a sexual piece of work, it's just so damn catchy.

The album's opener, "U Got A Problem?" is basically Ludacris giving the middle finger to anybody that tries to *** with him. It should be noted that the song as well as others on the album, were produced by Bangladesh who would receive later success for Lil Wayne's "A Milli."

The album continues with "Game Got Switched," "1st & 10," and of course, "What's Your Fantasy?" which are all certified hits from Ludacris. Right off the bat you can tell Ludacris is from the south and not because of his accent, it's because the music that is presented feels Southern from it's basic synths and fast head nodding hooks.

There are a couple of skits on the album which show that Ludacris is one funny dude. He is so funny that I'm surprised that he doesn't star in more comedies. If he did, he would give Dane Cook a critical beatdown. It doesn't only show in his skits but also in his lyrics. Look at the song "Mouthing Off" for example, his freestyle type flow in that song proves that Ludacris would probably make it as a comedy rapper also.

But he doesn't and that's a good thing because if you heard any Southern rapper in your life, they are well known for creating antems that make you want to hit a punk in the face. "Get Off Me" and "Stick 'Em Up" show that music doesn't always have to be pleasant to be good.

The album ends with a bang with "Southern Hospitality," "What's Your Fantasy (Remix)," and "Phat Rabbit." The guest featured on this album increase repeated listens from UGK's hard as a rock rhymes from "Stick 'Em Up" to the dirty/hillarious rhymes of Foxy Brown, Shawnna, and Trina on "What's Your Fantasy (Remix)."

This is one solid album and will not dissapoint any Hip Hop fan. With a blend of solid rhymes with toe tapping beats, this is a certified buy.

The Roots Do You Want More?!!!??!Lil Wayne Tha Carter III
The Notorious B.I.G. Life After DeathLil Wayne Tha Carter
Handsome Boy Modeling School So ... How's Your Girl?2Pac 2Pacalypse Now
johncoelho7 (4)
Fantastic production, vulgar lyrics and a confident flow make this a true southern essential....

MrHell
September 17th 2008

I didn't really like this at first, but it grew on me after a while, granted Ludacris isn't my favorite.

Decent review, but you could've extended the conclusion a lil' bit.

withintention
November 20th 2008

Ludacris is a fun pop rapper to listen too, and this is one his best.

kingsoby1
November 20th 2008

where's chickenfish, i want to hear a diatribe on mainstream rappers not being as good as immortal technique.

withintention
November 20th 2008

he's not as good, they shouldn't even be put into the same sentence, and I am chickenfish.

kingsoby1

thx, im happy now.

Twizzie
March 19th 2010

This is the funnest ludacris album... Punch lines are Ill casts and production kills.
I got me some new Party playlist

BigPoppaDiesel
February 15th 2011

Luda' is just funny. good review.

BigHans
March 14th 2011

This isn't nearly as good as Word of Mouf but Southern Hospitality and Whats Your Fantasy are the jams.

Hawks
March 14th 2011

This album brings back so many memories. Southern Hospitality was one of the first rap songs I ever heard when I was like 8.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

5 years ago\\

ethixx

breakingthefragile
February 16th 2013

Hey Hillary, I've always wondered, how many IT albums does it take to equal one Game album?