Exotic Animal Petting Zoo
I Have Made My Bed in Darkness

by hykinix USER (9 Reviews)
September 11th, 2008 | 101 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - www.myspace.com/exoticanimalpettingzoo - consists of the Carr brothers Steve (drums, vocals) and Brandon (Vocals, Guitar, effects), and Scott Certa on base.

Now...Where to start? I'll admit this is a tough one for me to express with eloquence that effectively catches the magnitude of this band's sound, so forgive me if I go a bit overboard at any time.

But there's something to this band, henceforth EAPZ for my keyboard's sake. Something organic and raw about it all - but then equally polished and layered on the other end. They intertwine a whacky blend of grind-ish metal-core ish riffs, rarely heading into the chugga-chugga breakdowns but keeping it ball-bustingly heavy all the same. Though they are not the epitome of any particular branch of music, they are exceptionally talented musicians in the departments they embrace, achieving a bending, mind-twisting, cat-and-mouse chase of semi absurd genre changes.

But enough with the convoluted descriptions. The instrumentation on this album is excellent and worth describing. The base mirrors some of the guitar's most complex and fast riffs like on "B) Curse of the Sands" or "Hairdresser", only to jump into Chili Pepper-esque funky riffs on tracks like "Every Waking Moment." At no points did I feel it was filler, and always audible. The guitar, I would say, is the backbone here. How Brandon Carr plays and sings (very well, at that) live is somewhat baffling - more so than when Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy is faced with his most involved moments. The brutal thrashy passages on this album are paced in such a way as being reminiscent of Dillinger in their early days, and I'd even make the stretch of comparing the softer passages to the likes of Radiohead (vocally, and this is a loose comparison) or The Mars Volta. Those who take a listen will probably find room to disagree in this respect, as its decidedly difficult to find valid comparisons for this concoction.

The drumming keeps up and goes beyond at some parts, is always suited to the music and is rediculously fast at times. We are faced with a trio of very good musicians without a doubt. Which brings me to production:

It's pretty much perfect. Not much to say. No moments where I thought to myself, "too scratchy" or 'overproduced' although some will say, based on their tastes, that it is in fact overproduced if they prefer the element of scratchiness in their music.

Really this is not a five star album because I felt one track, "A balloon over Kyoto City" to be slightly dragged on (as an instrumental) and disrupted the pace of the album marginally. Although far from being an unlistenable song, the album is quick to build your expectations and so this song may feel like a bit of an unnecessary pit-stop.

So I guess give a listen and tell me if you agree! This band's not highly regarded or known of so I encourage discussion :D.

Cheval De Frise Cheval De FriseInto the Moat The Campaign
Psyopus Our Puzzling Encounters ConsideredThe Bled Found in the Flood
The Blood Brothers Young MachetesMew A Triumph for Man

marksellsuswallets
September 11th 2008

Sounds kind of interesting...the review was a bit to wordy for its own good in places though...just work on making things flow a little bit better...

IAmInsect

..................

marksellsuswallets
September 11th 2008

Must you do that every day...? haha

jrowa001
September 11th 2008

i just downloaded this like 10 minutes ago. havent listened to it yet but plan to. good reivew

September 11th 2008

I'll admit this is a tough one for me to express with eloquence that effectively catches the magnitude of this band's sound and so it's arguable that I shouldn't even be doing this review at this time.

This isn't good and it takes away from the review's effectiveness.

September 11th 2008

Yeah I saw myself getting a bit overly descriptive and I sort of just went on a tangent and tried to catch myself early on. But alas, my bantering is persistent :P. I'll comb through it for flow purposes.

September 11th 2008

And Cesar, I agree. I threw that in there as a saving grace, but you're right its like self-nullifying my abilities to say such things.

i just downloaded this like 10 minutes ago
where??
everything i have heard is absolutely amazing

September 11th 2008

this is the first cd i have paid for in over a year and it was completely worth the money!! wordy review, but you share my enthusiasm

September 11th 2008

I understand. Is like when the person says "Its my first review". That's ok, but say it in a comment if you must, not in the actual review. I was one of the ones that did that.

Metalikane
September 11th 2008

Been really digging this lately (obviously). I think you could talk a little bit more about the variation in this album, but the review was okay. I was going to go see them Sunday, but I can't get out of work

September 12th 2008

the only thing i disagree with you about is a balloon enters kyoto city. though it does disrupt the flow of the cd, its a really well done softer song. maybe if they would have put it after anniversary psalm it would have been better.This Message Edited On 09.12.08

September 12th 2008

Yeah, like I said. A good track, felt out of place though.

this is odd

i need it

edit: my initial response is "holy fuck" this is quite good, too good.This Message Edited On 09.12.08

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

any14doomsday
September 12th 2008

I downloaded this a week or so ago, Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. But it sounds like something i would enjoy. good review

Shattered_Future
September 12th 2008

I almost turned this off on Track 1 when the vocals came in, because I can't stand vocals like that. But then I was like, "what the hell, I'll give this a chance." And even though I only have half the album, it's surprisingly good. They don't seem to be held down by genre constraints.

September 12th 2008

favourite find/release/band of 08 for me. this could be a 5 eventually.

September 12th 2008

took 3 different people until I decided to listen. pretty good, vocals a bit annoying

September 13th 2008

one of my quickest 5's

September 13th 2008

Is it the clean vocals or screaming or both that annoy you, Cesar?

I found the clean vocals to be perfect for the sound, the scream is debatable.