Blessed by a Broken Heart
Pedal to the Metal

by John Clifford USER (2 Reviews)
September 11th, 2008 | 51 replies | 8,787 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The glam metal genre has never looked so good. Well, It's never looked that good. But this is a pretty righteous album nevertheless.

Times are changing. No more is it an easy feat to set a trend and a precedent for future bands. I would go as far to say that most bands these days are perfectly content with a satisfactory album that doesn’t stray far from the typical musical recipe of their respective genre. If they can successfully do this, then congratulations to them, for they have temporarily appeased their fan base just enough to buy them time to record and release a follow-up for the exact same purpose. Is Blessed By A Broken Heart’s Pedal to the Metal just another one of these albums? They’re certainly not salvaging a genre here; well, not with their music at least. They do have some pretty kickass clothing styles though. Any band that has a photo shoot that looks like something straight out of flash dance is A-OK in my books.

Blessed by a Broken Heart is Tony Gambino (Vocals), Shred Sean and Robbie Hart (Guitars), Tyler Hoare (Bass), Simon Foxx (Synthesizer), and Frank “Da Bird” (lolz…oh, drums). And with their instruments, they create a listening experience that couldn’t necessarily be defined as groundbreaking by any means; however, the sole fact that this album has 10+ plays on my itunes must mean that they’re doing something that keeps me hooked. Regardless of whether or not you think the fact that they wear tight spandex in their band pictures is “hip”, I don’t think anyone can argue against the idea that it is definitely an attention grabber.

The first song I like to listen to is what I refer to as their “sampler song”, called, “Blood On Your Hands”. The reason I call it this is because it does a pretty decent job of showing you what BBABH has to offer, but not to the degree that some of their other songs demonstrate. I will say that my favorite part of this song is toward the end when Gambino repeatedly screams, “can’t get that blood off your hands”, laid over some pretty nice double bass coupled with a fairly ace guitar riff.

I’m going to try to avoid the song-by-song review style, but the next song I feel deserves its own paragraph. “Carry On” is perhaps my favorite song on this album, and for good reason. You like some crunchy riffing? This song opens up with an intense riff followed by Gambino’s brutal screaming. Even the most popcore kids are inclined to stand up and start swinging their fists at this point, that is until they break mother’s favorite living room lamp with their signature hxc roundhouse kick.

One of the most prominent aspects of this album is the guitar work. BBABH does an amazing job of distinguishing themselves from the rest of the metal genre by adding a nostalgic twist of the ‘80’s in each saucy riff. As I mentioned before, “Carry On” contains quite a few brutal riffs. Another honorable mention with impressive guitar (coincidentally also the song that most captures the hair metal influence they try to intertwine into each song) is “Show Me What You Got”. With Foxx jamming and programming away on the synth and Shred Sean, well, shredding, this is one of the pinnacles off the album. Caution: this song may feather hair. Anybody who appreciates some nice harmonies and adequately technical guitar will appreciate this portion of the album.

I could talk endlessly of the positives of this album, but that would be misleading. There are plenty of flaws scattered throughout this album and, while they’re all very minor, they are worthy of mention. First things first, if you’re looking for a slower song, the closest you will get is a tedious, arena-rock number, “Young”, that I generally skip over. Not bad, just a bit of a bore compared to the others. Also, if you only enjoy music with deep and heartfelt lyricism, you may want to consider looking elsewhere; Aside from the vague Christian references thrown in all over, I would not be surprised if I were watching “Buns of Steel II” and these guys were on the soundtrack.

Are they treading musically unknown territory with this album? Not by any means. Be warned: you will hear nothing on this album that has never been done before. With that said, I recommend this album to anybody who has an extra 55 minutes on their hands and an open mind. Enjoyable? Absolutely. I had this disc on my car rotation for a few weeks and here’s a fun fact; every time “Pedal to the Metal” would begin playing, my passengers never fail to ask within the first thirty seconds, “hey man, who is this? They shred” or something less cheesy of the sort. What an ace name for a car album as well. Radical.

Recommended Tracks

Carry On
Don't Stop
License
Show Me What You Got
Side by Side

3.1
good
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
After a disappointing effort on their ‘All Is Fair in Love and War’, Blessed by a Broken Heart s...

MarkedFortune (3)
Metal you can dance to, sing along with, but canblessed by a broken heart be proud of it?...

Steven Spedding (3.5)
A nostalgic twist on metalcore...

Feel The Power

tapitforever

My first review.

RIP ME A NEW ONE so I can do better next time

edit...after spacing it out, these paragraphs are far too small. hahaThis Message Edited On 09.11.08

Lunarfall
September 11th 2008

No way man, they're fine.
This is a very well done first review (way better than my first). I really don't see anything wrong.

September 11th 2008

lol just 10+ plays? i think it takes me at least 100+ plays to digest an album enough to review it. i'm not criticizing you or anything cause the review was just fine. just sayin. also, review really does read like a 3, objectively. i sense you really enjoy this more then a 3, but the review reads like the album is a 3This Message Edited On 09.11.08

September 11th 2008

Wait, they're glam metal now?

south_of_heaven 11
September 11th 2008

This band sucks. I downloaded this album awhile back ago cause of their genre tags and I laughed the whole way through. Fucking terrible.

ToWhatEnd
September 11th 2008

Great first review! I heard Move Your body awhile back and thought about getting this but never did. Think your review has convinced me it's worth it.

September 11th 2008

They used to be metalcore, very generic metalcore at best...does anybody follow?

iamthenightmare

hard to like this band considering my hatred for the 80's

September 11th 2008

Wow I just visited their Myspace, totally decided to take another root, it's funny though because their name is still retaining to their old style.

The Sludge
September 11th 2008

I actually enjoyed these guys and followed their progress with getting a new singer and what not.

Consider it Christian Hair-Metalcore as crazy as that sounds.

Metalikane
September 11th 2008

This sounds like a straight up mix of A7X and Atreyu. Only Christian.

Tyler
September 11th 2008

100+? You're either lying or insane.

September 12th 2008

How many listens do you think is a good amount to write a valid review, personally?

lucazade22
September 12th 2008

I reckon it depends on how you listen to them. If you lie in bed at night following the album by reading the lyrics, then you'll have the songs drilled into your head by the 5th listen. If you simply put it on as background music while you do something else then it may require 10-15.

I listened to some songs on their myspace and it's not really for me!! I think your last sentence sums it up perfectly - it's a cool album to put on in the car cos it's fun and you won't scare your non-metal loving friends with it!

Would it be blasphemy to say it's "The Final Countdown" with a few screams in the mix?!

September 13th 2008

100+? You're either lying or insane.

well i guess i'm exaggerating now that i think about how many plays that is, but only slightly exaggerating. The two reviews i've done were only after i had 100+ plays. just seems like 10 plays isn't very much.

marksellsuswallets
September 13th 2008

I honestly don't see how you could listen to an album 100+ times...you realize with average album length (50 minutes give or take) that would be like almost 4 whole days of nonstop 24 hour listening...if so though, bravo man...bravo...This Message Edited On 09.13.08

September 13th 2008

it's not like i sit there and listen to an album until it hits 100 plays. i listen to other sh*t in between.... damnThis Message Edited On 09.13.08

marksellsuswallets
September 13th 2008

I knew that but still...thats a long time haha...

Anyway...this album is actually pretty fun...a bit over the top...but fun nonetheless...

Aren't License and Side By Side like Japan bonus tracks or something?This Message Edited On 09.13.08

tapitforever
September 23rd 2008

It really is. If you're looking for an album with any depth at all, look elsewhere. However, if you want a fun time....well, now I just sound like a prostitute.

This album is enjoyable.

beans
September 23rd 2008

these guys sound really bad tbh