Korn

Fieldy – Bass
Head – Guitar
Munky – Guitar
David Silveria – Drums

First of all, I’m not a fanboy to korn, I like their music and even their later stuff. Korn are original, they can’t help it if most other bands steal their style. The “annoying" bass, the twin-guitars, David’s strong drumming throughout and Jonathan’s creeping vocals. This album is a pleasure from opener Blind to chilling closer Daddy . It is a strong CD throughout. The opener Blind is the song which got the album off the ground. It has some cymbal tapping at the start and the twin guitars fight each other, it’s a good intro. The second song Ball Tongue is an average song with Jon shouting out the chorus.

Need To was one of the first songs I heard off the album, Jonathan’s vocals in the verses are some of the best. The song Clown is about some mad mental person attacking Jonathan at a show. It’s a more slower song than the rest and gets a bit bring after a while. Devine is a pretty average song to say the less. Faget is one of the best songs on the album and you could feel Jonathan’s anger when he’s singing. The drums are the best on the album as when David was recording it, he kept adding things and things into the mix. He now has to live up to that when they play it live. The song is about when Jonathan was called gay and “queer" in high school.

The next song Shoots and Ladders has a bagpipe beginning (I guess it’s because Jonathan has Scottish roots.) The song is a reminiscent of nursery rhymes, like the “ring around the rosies" is about the plaque. Half-way another riff comes in. And Jonathan sings quite fast, it’s hard to make out. Next song is Predictable , it is more riff-oriented and it is a very good track, most underrated IMO. Fake is one of my favourites on the album, it sounds like something on Life Is Peachy . The next song Lies is a straight-forward rock track which I have nothing to say about. Helmet In The Bush is nothing special, the lyrics are about when Jonathan was an ehem …"speed freak." The track is a bit overrated and nothing special.

The last song is the creepy Daddy . The song is about when Jonathan was molested by his neighbour and his Parents never believed him when he told them. The instruments are more haunting as usual and I feel a bit uncomfortable listening to the lyrics. At the end , Jonathan starts crying his eyes out and screams cuss words to his parents and how he hates them. It’s quite sad really and quite depressing when you think about it. There is a hidden track of some husband and wife fighting.

There was a quick summary on all the songs. These five boys of Bakersfield, California, showed you what they can do. Jonathan has showed you his life-story on this one album (which is why there is a poor lyrical choice on all the other albums) The guitars are extremely low but it just adds to the style, fieldy’s bass is annoying but it adds, everything just comes together in this album

4/5

Cathedral The Carnival BizarreMachine Head Through the Ashes of Empires
Korn IssuesPaul Weller Stanley Road
Adema AdemaThe Offspring Conspiracy of One

Rudd13
July 6th 2005

I dont care for Korn much......

twoj_
July 6th 2005

^^ really? you wasted our time with a post of that?

anyways, good review... i liked korns early stuff. It definetly makes for good music when you're pissed off at something.

darkfire_storm
July 6th 2005

ummm... well, i gotta say, this review wasnt really too great. not a lot of description or anything. its mostly "yeah its average. blah blah." other than that, decent review. btw jon plays bagpipes because he played them in his high school band. just thought id clear that up. KoRn Rules!

tele_death
July 7th 2005

Great review...I've only heard one or tow of the songs on this album, so I can't really say how much I like it. But Very good review anyways.

FFbassist26

their bass is annoying

sugar_daddy

He was molested by his Dad, hence the Song title

Iai
July 7th 2005

It's a shame Davis an out of ammunition almost immediately after releasing this, because this ain't half bad.

TheUnavoidable
July 7th 2005

Korn are really good band, but this is them at their worst. Very imature, both in writing and composition. But we all have to start somewhere.

fuctup

Korn's best

Morg_rules_05
July 10th 2005

i like korn but this album isnt brill

Priestmetal
July 14th 2005

Although I am not into Korn anymore i have to say their dark sound with weird ass bass lines and insane druming is quite orginal. I just am not into Nu Metal anymore.

Thor
July 18th 2005

My favorite Korn album and probably the best nu-metal album ever made. I can't name a single favorite song off of this, but I love Blind, Ball Tongue, Divine, and Faget a whole lot.

(>dragon~guitarist<)
July 20th 2005

Not a fan but heard this album when my friend was listening to it in her car, not my type of stuff I guess. Anyways, Korn is a nu-metal band that spawned bands like Slipknot and Mushroomhead, and thats not saying much.This Message Edited On 07.20.05

Mordecai
July 20th 2005

This is for all you little Hot-Topic shopping, black eye makeup wearing, mallrat losers. First of all, you'll be glad to know that your comrade who made a sorry ass attempt at egging my house last halloween in his not-so-spooky corpse paint has officially been "pimped" by me, and by that I of course mean i ran him over repeatedly in my 68' SS. Next if you think Korn/Damageplan/Disturbed/Coal Chamber/ are cool, different and heavy, then please go to your computer and download "Dreaming in Dog Years" by "The Red Chord". Whats this? Fat dudes from Boston make scarier, heavier, better music then Korn does, even though they have a bassest who tunes to drop A with some nasty ass braids?

Killtacular

You really are a prick.

Priestmetal
July 21st 2005

We do't need more people like you here, Mordecai.

masada
July 21st 2005

Yeah, and he likes The Red Chord.

Ha.

Metal Man 671
July 22nd 2005

this is the best album ever its wat i call simple metal cuz its not as complicated as slipkot or other bands but this album f****** rules

Shadows
July 22nd 2005

I never really liked Korn, but your review was pretty good. I found their music to be incredibly whiny and simple. Jon Davis is quite talentless musically, and Head and Munky single-handedly destroyed the seven string guitar. I could never understand how two less than mediocre guitarists with no tone could constantly be voted some incredibly good guitar duo.

But other than my opinions, nice work.

kyle_banks1313
August 6th 2005

ok! so! this I have been listenin to KoRn for about 6 years and i have to say this is their best album! F****** 5 out of F****** 5!! KoRn rules all! They are 100% original, their inspiration reaches out to all these other Nu-Metal Bands with the 7-string guitars and crazy A$$ vocals! No one Better then KoRn!