Hatebreed
Perseverance

by Kyri1992 USER (2 Reviews)
September 2nd, 2008 | 8 replies | 5,869 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hatebreed are the pinnicle of bad-ass. Perseverance swallows you up, chews you, grind you, then spits you out. And you'll love every minute of it. Definitely recommended to headbangers everywhere.

I took me a while to get round to listen to Hatebreed. I heard a song here and there, and one of my mate loves them, so I borrowed Perseverance from him. I copied the CD the next day and listen to it on a regular basis. The thing with Hatebreed is, is that they do what other bands dream of... create simple riffs that have been played millions of times before and make them sound fresh. Take vocals that have been heard so many times before and make them sound fresh. How they do it is a head scratcher, but they do it so well. I'm not trying to be bias. These were the thought that went through my head after i heard the album. I was so shocked at how good they were (my opinion of course), and how they could work you into a frenzy and get your blood pumping.

Some call them hardcore, which they are. Some call them metal mixed with punk, which they are. Fans call them Hatebreed, and they will kick your ass.

Band:

Matt Byrne - A more than capable drummer, who shows his versatility throughout the CD from breakdowns, to blastbeats and thrash drumming, this guy knows his way round a kit.

Sean Martin and Lou " Bolder" Richards - Responsible for crushing riffs, their simple yet effective guitar work and strong palm-muting techniques are the reason why Hatebreed have their distinctive sound. Lou passed away in 2006.

Chris Beattie - His bass guitar is heard on every song, a welcome change from the "I can't hear the bassist so what's the point of having them there". He's great for building up songs before Sean and Lou let rip.

Jamey Jasta - The face and voice of Hatebreed. A talented vocalist who, although criticized for having a one-dimensional tone, manages to be capable of stirring crowds into frenzies. On the CD he's brilliant with his seething, powerful voice. His lyrics are unlike most vocalists. While they talk about death, loss etc, Jasta has uplifting lyrics about rising up as one, standing together etc. His use of gang vocals make every song fun to sing along to.

Best Tracks Review:

1) Proven - Thrashy opener. Jasta's screams of "YOU WANT TO SEE ME FAIL, YOU WON'T GET YOUR CHANCE" are adrenaline-inducing. All around great work here, guitars and drums crack heads together and the breakdown is gonna be your first of many headbangs on this CD. - 4.5/5

2) Perseverance - One of the singles. The screams of "PERSEVERANCE!" before a heavy open C-string riff (Hatebreed play in Drop-C) is so thrilling to hear live. Sean and Lou's knack for brilliant riffs are realised here. Jamey is again brilliant. - 4.5/5

4) I Will Be Heard - The best Hatebreed song ever and also another single. It's quite famous. Just brilliant lyrics "NOW IS THE TIME FOR ME TO RISE TO MY FEET... WIPE YOUR SPIT FROM MY FACE, WIPE THESE TEARS FROM MY EYES!" and very catchy riffs throughtout. It's not exactly a solo that Sean plays, more like a feedback style thing, but it reallly fits. The bass riff at 1:42 while Jamey shouts is legendary build-up, and the chorus is just perfect. - 5/5

5) Call For Blood - A quick cymbal tap before thrashing your ass off. Drums are a standout here, Matt does really well. The guitars trade back and forth blows from speedy thrash to bludgeoning riffs. The breakdown is wicked, especially when Jamey screams "LET THE BLOOD SPILL!". - 4/5

10) Hollow Ground - Another Hatebreed classic. The beginning sound like a steam train about to hit you. Jamey shouts "FROM NOTHING! WE HAVE RISEN! AND FROM NOTHING! WE! STILL! RISE! which brings us to a classic Hatebreed riff, and those screams of "FIGHT! FIGHT! WILL YOU FIGHT TO TAKE YOUR LIFE BACK!" The best thing is because the chorus is so effective they never repeat it again till the very end of the track. My favourite lyric off this is "I SEEK THE CHALLENGE, FOR I AM THE JADED" - Classic Hatebreed, classic mosh song - 5/5

11) Final Prayer - Slayer legend Kerry King debuts on this track, and it's all the better for it. Kerry does two of his monster slayer solos on this in mini-form, but it's still oh so cool. As for Hatebreed, they are right behind KK, with more headbang riffs and shouts of "FINAL PRAYER!" - Brilliant teaming of King and Hatebreed - 4.5/5

12) Smash Your Enemies - The only problem I have with this is that they stole the thrash riff Machine Head's "Nation On Fire". It's not even a little similar, it's EXACTLY THE SAME! Other than that, the beginning and the end of this song is one for the hardcore dancers out there (not that I like hxc dancing, just saying it is). But overall this is a great song, if you can let the Machine Head thing go. - 4/5

15) Remain Nameless - Again, brilliant Hatebreed all the way through. Great riffage, and the acapella screams of "NOW I'M JUDGING YOU!" and "IF THERE'S ONE THING IN THIS WORLD. THAT I MUST DO, IT WILL BE PROVE YOU WRONG!" will be in your head for ages! Very well made - 4.5/5

16) Outro - This I like because it's a taster of the next album "Rise Of Brutality". This is a sample of the song "Tear It Down". I like it because it's definitely an original, clever idea, and the riff is pretty badass.

This is the album for you if you need to let some anger out. It pounds, it thrashes, it batters, it just kills. If want, you can just get the tracks i've described, but otherwise get the whole album. It's an experience listening to any Hatebreed album. That's it really. Sorry I didn't do the whole review, but i gotta work sometime!

Call them hardcore, which they are. Some call them metal mixed with punk, which they are. Fans call them Hatebreed, and they will kick your ass.

Damrod EMERITUS (3)

botb
September 2nd 2008

They're coming to my city on friday, thinking about going to watch all the skinheads beat the shit out of each other.

Tyler
September 2nd 2008

uh that'd probably just end up in them beating the shit out of you instead

botb

Not if I'm stealthy. =]

Erratic
September 2nd 2008

Needs more detail about the sound.

Willie
September 2nd 2008

I like this band, but I have to disagree with you. They don't sound fresh, in fact if you listen to an entire album it gets pretty repetitive and stale by the end.This Message Edited On 09.02.08

SnackaryBinx
September 3rd 2008

I stopped reading when you called them the pinnacle of bad-ass

DethThrasher
October 27th 2008

I'd say these guys were more Metalcore then punk

Burnyourface
December 5th 2008

a lot of people say that at first because of the overall feel of the songs, but if you really pay attention to the riffs a great deal of them are very very punk/hardcore