Anathema
Hindsight

by Jorn van Schaïk USER (172 Reviews)
September 2nd, 2008 | 13 replies | 5,709 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Beautiful. Gorgeous. Go buy it.

It's funny how unplugged records can either be the best thing a band has ever done, or when they're not, just an annoying piece of ***. You know what I mean? It's like comparing Nirvana unplugged to KoRn unplugged: whereas the Nirvana version worked extremely well, the KoRn version sucked hard. Mostly however, it is well-known bands that release these sorts of remakes of old and well-known songs; however, the latest acoustic remake-album in the history of remakes, is from a British band called Anathema, who are only well known if you're interested in doom metal goes Radiohead and haven't seen airplay since, well, ever.

Now there's one important thing to mention: Anathema didn't always sound this pretty, nor did they sound this sophisticated. Once upon a time, Anathema was a bunch of guys from Liverpool who felt that life kinda sucked and decided to write songs about it. This was back in the early 1990s, and when you wanted to write music like that with your friends, you assembled a couple guys to crush slow, booming riffs out of your guitar and have harsh vocals underscore all that. Well, if that's the Anathema you're used to, and you're pissed off with the direction they've taken since Eternity, this still isn't the record you'd spin every day. But the truth is, Anathema don't pander to that crowd anymore, even though they are still filed under metal in every shop. This record is softer than soft. If you thought Eternity was the gayest thing ever, get a load of this: there isn't a single distorted guitar note be found (wow, Holmes, it's unplugged!), there are cellos, the most important instrument on the album is a piano and the vocals sound ethereal and angelic.

But, however, to the fans that Anathema caters to now, and probably a good many more if everyone does what's wise and picks up this record, this might just be the best thing they've ever released. How does that work, then, you ask? Well, this isn't just an unplugged album. Anathema aren't Nirvana and take a guitar and plug out the amps. No, there are different arrangements here, and different melodies, and different instrumentation altogether (one song features an Irish mandolin.) In fact, many of the songs of this record, if not all of them, are at least on par with the original, and some are just plain better. "Fragile Dreams" once featured distorted guitars and pounding drum beats. Now the main melody is played by a cello (!), the guitars have been reduced to pretty background twinkling and the whole thing sounds like Apocalyptica's ballad mode with vocals and some extra instruments. This is more beautiful than "Ruska", and not just because it has vocals and lyrics. The whole song's atmosphere, already such an Anathema trademark of late, have been improved tenfold and the song's climax now sounds completely appropriate.

Elsewhere on the record, Anathema make no mistakes transforming both newer and old material. Yours truly was never a particular fan of 1996's "Angelica" (from the Eternity album), but this version is absolutely pleasing to these ears. "One Last Goodbye", the cornerstone of the Judgement album, sounds even moodier and sadder than ever before (and the original was already dripping with emotion). "Temporary Peace" has lost the ridiculous 13 minute addendum present on the studio version, and is here presented in the form we all want. And the crooning, ominous lyric of "since you've been gone I've been lost inside" that wanders around the speakers during "Are You There?" has now been effectively improved as acoustic guitar lines, not synths, underscore the powerful melody.

Anathema still won't please their old fans with this record. Their doom era seems long and forgotten now. But instead of taking the bad evolutionary route like Paradise Lost or Tiamat, or staying within the confines of their genre (My Dying Bride), they have become a truly remarkable act musically; and their change from loud to soft has improved every bit of their auditory aesthetic along the way. With a new album looming on the horizon (!), Anathema's craft and penchant for beautiful, brooding and moody songs seems better than ever, and the fact they can make it work on a compilation of old songs is just a testament to their musical strength. If there's any justice in this world, all the kids that bought KoRn's unplugged album will set it aside for this. But then again, if in 1991, there hadn't been any justice in the world, we wouldn't have had this band and this album. And maybe, in hindsight, the world is better off that way.

Frank Turner Tape Deck HeartBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Metallica MetallicaSlayer World Painted Blood
Katatonia Night Is the New DayRammstein Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
Trey Spencer STAFF (4)
Anathema never fail to impress, even when it's simply an album full of acoustic remakes....

The Flabbit Rides High

Great review!

Good to see someone else reviewing Anathema. I think there's only like 3 of us or something. hehe

God I need to update my own...they seem kinda silly compared to this...

fireaboveicebelow
September 2nd 2008

everyone should listen to the summary

you know, after listening to this 20 times I think I wanna raise it to 4.5

Altmer
September 2nd 2008

this is only my third time and one last goodbye just actually brought tears to my eyes

fuck

Willie
September 2nd 2008

The version of "Are you There?" that is on this album has become my favorite Anathema song. You're right about this possibly being the best thing they've released so far.

Digging: Necropoli - I

Kage

[QUOTE=Flabbit]Great review!

God I need to update my own...they seem kinda silly compared to this...[/QUOTE]
Is it me or has it been a while since you've been around?

Altmer
September 2nd 2008

it's been a while since the flabbit rode high!

and my favourite on this thing is probably the new version of Inner Silence

fireaboveicebelow
September 2nd 2008

I thought that the second I heard it the first time

The Flabbit Rides High
September 3rd 2008

[quote=Kage]Is it me or has it been a while since you've been around?[/quote]

I lurk.

I often get the urge to post, but reading some of these comments on the reviews make me want to kill myself 100x.

On topic, thinking about getting this now. Haven't listened to them in quite a while....wonder if I still like them enough. My favourite track was always ...Alone.This Message Edited On 09.03.08

Wizard

19389 Comments

I personally thought the Nirvana unplugged album sucked balls as well. Irrelevant but whatever hahaha.

Ok, with two stellar reviews for this now, I'm ordering. I haven't heard a single thing by them and I plan on just purchasing this without hesitation. Excellent work Altmer.

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

Willie
September 3rd 2008

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

OceanMechanic
June 1st 2014

One Last Goodbye and Are You There? are both WOW on this release

Digging: Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

ksoflas
June 8th 2014

Excellent review. Pos'd hard.

Rowan5215