Yndi Halda
Enjoy Eternal Bliss

by Marko Polovina USER (90 Reviews)
August 30th, 2008 | 254 replies | 25,546 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Yndi Halda grant you something you've experienced in your life; in many ways and in many medians.

The usual follows as every other post-rock band begins an album…humming, sounds of silence and isolation; as it slowly rises up, you realize the grand intro is coming, yet you still don’t fully comprehend it. This is what ‘Enjoy Eternal Bliss’ feels like. The front runners of any genre always set a mark, later to be heralded as “one of the best of all-time or groundbreaking”. Still, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, etc. - anything that you can say is amazing or has reached pure bliss in post-rock - doesn’t prepare you for the sprawling violin intro that drives through like a train with low percussion dancing away. Then, at the exact moment when you want it to break through, it explodes and the listener feels enthralled in the music. It’s special, really.

Yndi Halda hold their own and reach the pinnacle of perfection. ‘Enjoy Eternal Bliss’ is like the album of anyone’s life – your hopes, your fears, your accomplishments, your regrets, it is what life becomes. Once the sprawling violins enter your ears for mere minutes the drumming starts to pick up to carry it through even further. “Dash and Blast” really feels as if you are running through, with every step you take you gain momentum and velocity until you’re out of it, you can’t go any further. Almost at the halfway mark of the intro song this is what it feels like is ensuing. Your low, the end, after your glorious brush of speed and distance you begin to rebuild, seclude yourself to re-organize. You start to feel the lifting of your mind, body, and the awareness of the things around you as you head toward that goal you had in mind, the very thing you’ve been dreaming about for ages. The 2nd half of “Dash and Blast” leads me toward that sensation. And as you realize your dream you truly are in your glory, choirs of people sing and celebrate with you as you burst with joy – they laugh, cry, sing, enjoy the your success of what is to be your dreams.

The aftermath, what can I do…what should I do? I’ve reached my pinnacle I can’t seem to find my place, can I top what I’ve accomplished or is it as good as it gets? “We Flood Empty Lakes” has a sorrowful feel that the violins invoke in the listener. As if you are stranded, as the percussion picks up and the violins keep with the pace you fall deeper in your solitude and misery. You can’t just lie down and die can you? As you pick yourself up and battle through those doubts and fears, push through those uncertainties that are nagging at you the beats gradually picks up. Then nothingness is heard and as the percussion keys in at the 8 minute mark, the xylophone brings you closer to your dreams. You can taste it, it’s not bitter, but sweet and once you’ve reached it you understand how beautiful it is, that it is a truly wonderful feeling. This is what the ending of “We Flood Empty Lakes” feels like, truly epic, truly one of the greatest stop-go moments in any track of post-rock.

You can finally relax and see it through. There aren’t any worries of any kind in your head. “A Song For Starlit Beaches” is what purity feels like. As you go through the motions that you call your life, you can’t help but feel the things you have done and dwell on the past. The things you always wanted to do sting sorrowfully in your body, but your accomplishments bring joy. “A Song For Starlit Beaches” does have a grand rising like previous songs, but it feels truer, more wholesome, and not spontaneous – not to say that the other crescendos were meaningless, but in this song it just feels appropriate.

The closer "Illuminate My Heart, My Darling!" is the culmination of your journey. Yndi Halda’s ‘Enjoy Eternal Bliss’ can be likened to many things - relationships, life, war, a journey - and it’s as beautiful anything you’ll ever hear and more meaningful than most.

Mission of Burma UnsoundClark Iradelphic
Doomtree No KingsJane's Addiction The Great Escape Artist
Gang Of Four ContentNine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine: 2010 Remaster
4.3
Andrew Barr (MM8) (5)
Summarize this album in not but a few words? Ha....

llama1600 (4.5)
Epic, Glorious, and Essential...

McP3000
August 30th 2008

okay, this makes me angry

why did they label a 65 minute collection of songs as an EP

whywhywhywhywhywhy why?

IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE

McP3000
August 30th 2008

after reading the review, ive decided that you show way too much fanboyism and infatuation with this album. The tone is like an overhyped teenager talking about the first time he had sex.

rasputin

Album is amazing

basically

lol cool it mcp3000

Maskari
August 30th 2008

Album is easily on the best post-rock albums I've ever heard. A 5/5 in my book. Review was well written but did sound a little biased. Then again it's hard to do justice to amazing album without sounding biased.

August 30th 2008

honestly I don't see any weaknesses, if I had to say something negative about this album it would be about "A Song For Starlit Beaches" is weak as it doesn't hold the mood of the album and seems to slow it down somewhat.This Message Edited On 08.30.08

August 30th 2008

i'll take your criticism seriously I'll fix it up a bit

ok then there ya go I've cut out some and re-worded it; I can see how you made that observation even if it was somewhat odd.This Message Edited On 08.30.08

Minus The Flair
August 30th 2008

Album is overrated but awesome. Review reads very awkwardly, especially the intro. You need to learn how to use commas correctly. The music is described fairly well though.

August 30th 2008

touched it up a bit, i didn't want to change what you were trying to say but some of your wording was crazy awkward

August 30th 2008

Yndi Halda hold their own and reach the pinnacle of perfection. ‘Enjoy Eternal Bliss’ is like the album of anyone’s life - your hopes, your fears, your accomplishments, your regrets - it is what life becomes. Once the sprawling violins enter your ears for a few minutes, the drumming eventually starts to pick up to carry the song through even further. “Dash and Blast” really feels as if you are running through; with every step you take, you gain momentum and velocity until you’re out of energy, you can’t go any further. This is what it feels like is ensuing at the halfway mark of the song: You're feeling low at the end of your glorious brush of speed and distance, but you begin to rebuild, to seclude yourself to re-organize. You start to feel the lifting of your mind, body, and the awareness of the things around you as you head toward that goal you had in mind, the very thing you’ve been dreaming about for ages. The second half of “Dash and Blast” leads you toward that sensation. And as you realize your dream you truly are in your glory, choirs of people sing and celebrate with you as you burst with joy – they laugh, cry, sing, enjoy your success.

August 30th 2008

The aftermath: what can you do…what should you do? You’ve reached your pinnacle and you can’t seem to find your place; can you top what you’ve accomplished or is this as good as it gets? “We Flood Empty Lakes” has a sorrowful feel that the violins invoke in the listener. As if you are stranded, the percussion picks up and the violins keep with the pace, and you fall deeper in your solitude and misery. You can’t just lie down and die can you? As you pick yourself up and battle through those doubts and fears, push through those uncertainties that are nagging at you, the beat gradually picks up. Then nothingness is heard and as the percussion keys in at the 8 minute mark, the xylophone brings you closer to your dreams. You can taste it, it’s not bitter, but sweet and once you’ve reached it you understand how beautiful it is, that it is a truly wonderful feeling. This is what the ending of “We Flood Empty Lakes” feels like, truly epic and one of the greatest stop-go moments in any post-rock song.

tbh this is how your review should read while still retaining what you were trying to say. i couldn't resist correcting the whole thing because your ideas are terrific, you're just having a hard time using the right words and grammar techniques to express them. keep practicing, bud, you'll only improve.

JumpTheF**kUp
August 30th 2008

album is incredible, review is awkward as hell though, especially last paragraph

Lucid
August 30th 2008

Album is pretty good, last track is the best one on here.

Digging: Wild Beasts - Present Tense

SnackaryBinx
August 30th 2008

maybe I should check this out.

August 30th 2008

prolly sounds awkward because I cut out a lot and re-worded it quickly..

thanks for helping me with that Chan I did this review spontaneously after listening to it and it only took me the length of the album to write it This Message Edited On 08.30.08

June 2nd 2009

This was an epic fail by me I must say.

TMobotron
June 1st 2010

For some reason I had it in the back of my mind that this band had broken up. I just found out yesterday they werent. Where the hell is the new material? This album is ridiculously awesome.

UnnamedOcean
August 14th 2010

This album is so beautiful. It does sound a lot like Godspeed, but it feels a bit more orchestral, less ambient.