Melvins
Bullhead

by King Buzzo USER (2 Reviews)
July 5th, 2005 | 46 replies | 14,275 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

This album (although I believe The Melvins regard it as an EP...) is a truly classic Heavy Metal album. Certainly up their with "Ride the Lightning" and "To Mega Therion". The Melvins have always been intensly original and had already blown the Metal commuinity away with their three previous releases "10 Songs", "Gluey Porch Treatments" and "Ozma". These had been mainly short blasts of tectonic, pulverising riffs and noise with the exeption of a couple of longer drawn-out songs eg. Eyes/Flys on "Gluey". From this template The Melvins have decided on "Bullhead" to take those agonising riffs and draw them out to make fuller, more complete songs. This is most apparent on (isn't it always?) the albums first track "Boris" (which, incidently was the moniker chosen by drone-doom japanese disciples, one of the many bands influenced by The Melvins) in which the main riff which is itself the epitome of heavyness is taken and streched out for eight ear-splitting minutes. The rest of the albums showcases Buzz Osbornes talent for penning both incredible catchy and heavy riffs (check out the riff from "Its shoved" and testify!) There's even a fast number on this one in the form of "Zodiac" and shows when The Melvins speed things up they're no less powerful. The album ends with one of my favourite Melvins numbers "Cow" with crazy Melvins riffs, lots and lots of lovely noisy feedback and Buzz making stupid sounds with his mouth. The song descends into one of Dale Crover's (in)famous "drum solos". In the words of a Mr Thee Inspector from Seattle, WA:
"Bullhead gurgles like a drowning poodle dog. It arises from the sloppy depths of muck stomping harder than Godzilla. The Melvins move like a tectonic plate subduction zone sucking everything down in its path. Buzz, Dale and Lorax will crush you into undifferentiated tissue"
Your Metal collection is not complete without this album. Buy it now.

4.2
Funeral (5)
Welcome to Bullhead....

July 8th 2005

oh very well done sir!

Werny
July 16th 2005

Well it's better than your Lysol/self-titled review.

I'm downloading Boris right now, if I like it I'll add Bullhead to my already extensive list of Melvins albums that need purchasing.

Speaking of Melvins, do you know if that tribute CD is out? I know that there's a tribute to Melvins with Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah on it but I haven't a clue when it's out.

July 26th 2005

Its out on the 23rd August titles "We reach: The music of The Melvins" Here's the tracklist...

MARE – "Nightgoat"
THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN - "Honey Bucket"
MASTODON - "The Bit"
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD - "Zodiac"
PIG DESTROYER - "Claude"
HIGH ON FIRE/KEELHAUL - "Oven"
MEATJACK - "Shevil"
STRAPADON FACTORY – "Joan of Arc" *
ISIS/AGORAPHOBIC NOSEBLEED - "Boris"
ABSENTEE - "Revolve"
EYEHATEGOD - "Easy as It Was"
DOG FASHION DISCO - "Anaconda"
DISENGAGE - "Raise a Paw"
BLESSING THE HOGS – "Hogleg"
CKY/GNARKILL - "Laughing With Lucifer At Satan’s Sideshow"
MARITIME MURDER - "Copache"
MADE OUT BABIES - "Bar X and The Rocking M"
PINCER 2 – "Echohead/Don’t Piece Me"

At the last mastodon concert i saw they ended with the bit. Ruled all.

July 26th 2005

Also, Isis and Agrophobic nosebleed?!?!?!? what the hell will that sound like!!

any14doomsday
November 15th 2005

I love this album, but the review just didnt click with me... ohh well good choice though

exojjl
November 21st 2005

I liked the MR thee inspector words part at the end the most, that was the best part.

ValiumMan
October 19th 2006

I didn't like your review a lot. You make it seem as if the Melvins were a normal metal band, which they aren't.

ValiumMan
October 19th 2006

I didn't like your review a lot. You make it seem as if the Melvins are a normal metal band, which they aren't.

AlienEater
October 26th 2006

I think this was a good review. The album is great.

nirvana1989_nb
November 4th 2006

great album
great review

Shadowed Reflection
August 15th 2007

Very cool album. Though your review was about as short as it.

Doppelganger
August 11th 2008

LOUDER THAN SOUNDGARDEN

combustion07
July 15th 2009

Album is packed full of sludge thats should be released into everone's ears.
Might give this a review at some point.

Buccaneer
January 31st 2011

A bit late, but yeah this album definitely needs a more deserving review. The album is just incredible

CrazyFool84
February 1st 2011

I'm not gettin' this...I'm trying, but it's just not taking...a generous rating at this point

demigod!
April 24th 2011

heavyyy

Digging: Failure - Magnified

Goatlord
December 25th 2011

This album is the pinnacle of heavy music.

Ire

boris > boris

Imperial
December 25th 2011

One of my favourite album covers.

Inveigh
February 27th 2012

today is Melvins day

also this is probably their best album

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend