DragonForce
Ultra Beatdown

by PrettyKateMachine USER (1 Reviews)
August 28th, 2008 | 33 replies | 5,687 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Too Much of a Good Thing? No way. This album fits right in the familiar Dragonforce mold, but with some extra spices added to the mix to change it up. "Ultra Beatdown" aims DragonForce in a good direction for progression of future albums to come.

Greetings. I have to say that after listening to Ultra Beatdown, I am pleased with the shift DragonForce has made regarding diversity on their album as a whole. Granted the change is subtle, it still is a CD you will throw in your stereo or a tab you will revisit on your IPOD many times.

Seeing as I am a DragonForce fan, I will do my best to keep this as unbiased as possible.

I feel this album is arguably one of the best released to date, closely followed by either Sonic Firestorm or Valley of the Damned. Inhuman Rampage was seemingly done as a "talent showcase" as most songs did not fill me with inspiration or give me goosebumps, but hammered on and on with ludicrous speed and precision. They were mostly extreme solos and "guitar noodles" for most the songs. Both Sonic Firestorm and Valley of the Damned were of the same suit, but were strongly melodic, yet offset by sweet ballads giving the albums a nice balance. Still, I found myself skipping over the ballads more often than not. As for the faster songs, some are hard to differentiate from the others. Ultra Beatdown barely slows down, but it seems that on this new album, each song is discernible by its own merit alone, and the ballad is great too. :) (Flame for Freedom)

All in all, I think Ultra Beatdown has what the previous album Inhuman Rampage lacked: Heart.

Li and Totman play not only blistering solos throughout, but harmonic melodies that you find yourself humming hours after you get outta the car from the drive home that was seemingly faster because of the speed of the music. We get the same lyrical prowess from Theart, and that recognizeable epic boom from Mackintosh and Leclercq that makes DragonForce so exciting to listen to. Shining most brightly this time around would have to be the keyboardist, Pruzhanov . It seems the new noises and synth FX have made their way moreso into the songs on Ultra Beatdown, which I think really makes this album shine.

I have read complaints on the title of the album, as well as some of the song names. I disagree whole heartedly, and the "Heavy Metal Magazine" style of the Album Art is a great addition to the DragonForce album art repertoire. They are very much a fun band, parodying the "ultra epic-ness" that metal bands are most of the time. They add their own style to it by incorporating nintendo, synth, and odd distortions in to keep them a completely hybrid band of which recurring fans will expect nothing less than over the top extremity, and some humor along the way.

Songs I highly recommend are:
"Reasons to Live"
"Last Journey Home"

--( these two songs break the Dragonforce mold the most, a nice change and a refreshing view of future DragonForce)

The rest of the songs are quite good, and remind you of DragonForce during the Valley of the Damned era. Which I think is great that they've gone back to playing emotionally, not so much about technical ability.

All in all, this album is fun and worth listening to at least once, whether you're a fan or just wanting to hear something that will make you want to charge a castle in the mountains during a thunderstorm with a sword made of steel.

:) - Pretty Kate Machine

2.3
Dying. Feed us? (1.5)
Ultra Beatdown is the reason this type of music should not take itself too seriously....

psycho888999 (4)
HYPERSPEED!!...

John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF (2)
It's a passable album if you are crazy about power metal. However, the rest of us are sitting here c...

Greg Viessman (3.5)
Time to Receive An ULTRA BEATDOWN!! Too bad it doesn't feel that ULTRA Since We've Gotten This Befor...

August 28th 2008

Hello PrettyKateMachine, welcome to the site. Decent first review, a tad short and some awkward phrases here and there but you get an A for effort.

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

August 28th 2008

Good review, god awful band.

VicariousIntent
August 28th 2008

You have a very clever profile name.

Anyway, this review was pretty good actually, I like the way you describe the whole thing and your views on the album. Very nice job, I'll pos' this.

I hope to see some more review from in the future, or at least have you just hang out around here.

Wizard

19343 Comments

PrettyKateMachine,
Your name fits my ex-girlfriend really well. She was crazy!

Welcome to the site. Not bad for a first review. I think you covered everything pretty much, maybe just beef it up a bit next time ;). I found this comment to be 'Bang On':

Inhuman Rampage was seemingly done as a "talent showcase"

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

hehe, thanks Balls to the Wall, happy to be here

Appreciate it everyone This Message Edited On 08.28.08

TheStarclassicTreatment

Cool review, cool album.
I think of everyone Dave Mackintosh improves the most here, and because of that they aren't so samey.
The blastbeats at the start of 'Reasons To Live' are fucking brutal.

lol dragonforce are well br00tal

August 28th 2008

hehe, well I rated this album so high because if I had to pick a single df album to listen to over and over, it'd probably be this one because each song has something different in it. Ya know?

Heartbreak Armageddon for example. lol :O

August 28th 2008

haha you HATE them huh Jeremiah?

read my sound off if you want to know why.

originally posted by Jeremiah2
lol dragonforce are well br00tal

originally posted by TheStarclassicTreatment
You spelt brutal wrong...

originally posted by IAmInsect
*spelled

LOL! vicious irony. and I meant to spell it br00tal
This Message Edited On 08.28.08

foreverendeared
August 28th 2008

this thread sucks. review rules

August 28th 2008

If I had to listen to a Dragonforce album over and over, I would choose killing myself.

SCREAM!
August 28th 2008

Try not to use smileys and slang (words like outta instead of out of). It makes the review seem slightly childish(you can use as much of those as you want in comments but I would jsut abstain for reviews).

Still very good for a first try. You get a solid pos from me.

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come

August 28th 2008

thanks teach'. 'preciate it.

hehe.

August 28th 2008

you seem unusually dumb. nooo im just kidding!!!

I believe that music is a positive thing, I consider myself learning and growing always in it. Thats why I take constructive comments and ignore rude ones.

Acting childish gets you nowhere but in a silly spat with someone else who is immature. you know?

nice icon. Zelda is great.

August 28th 2008

Review was good enough, though I would try to make it less.... 'formal'. Like, it is kind of phrased in the sense of explaining it to someone on the street.

I wholely disagree with your feelings on Dragonforce, though
Also, Eunuchs FTL.This Message Edited On 08.28.08

August 28th 2008

Well isnt formal the point ? It seems trying to make the review as balanced as possible and "professional" in a sense, is the correct way to guide others with your musical opinions.

Thats all it seems like this site is anyway. A place to discuss music and compare what you like with others. Thats why I signed up.

August 28th 2008

Hmmm... by formal, I meant, it seems too casual. That was the word I was going for. Sorry.

Actually, this site is also a favorite of douchebags and pricks. They hang out around... you'll meet a few. Some would say I am one... if so, whatever. Just preachin' the truth.This Message Edited On 08.28.08

Iluvatar
August 28th 2008

Well its always nice to have a new guitar hero fag in our ranks!

August 28th 2008

its cool dude. I suppose thats my writing style. Write how I'd speak it. Without too much slang of course. Im wondering what I should review next. hrrrrmmm. Kinda leaning towards the Dethalbum (which I love, btw.)