Enigma
The Cross of Changes

by Sam Knight USER (28 Reviews)
August 27th, 2008 | 13 replies | 8,313 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "The Cross of Changes" is a rich combination of various music genres. A must-listen.

Enigma is the workings of a mastermind. Little is known about him, other than the fact that he has an abnormally large nose, but he is very well known for his music in which he combines multi-cultural songs and religion-based lyrics. He can, however, produce stunning pieces of music if he put his mind to it. Enter "The Cross of Changes", the second album by Enigma. To round off the simplisity of the album, you should know that it only includes 9 songs, peaking at the 45 minute mark. Despite its short timing, you'll find a lot more than bargained for on first listen.

"The Cross of Changes" is a rich combination of various music genres, mainly in the techno-chant era similiar to Gregorian. Its most notable single, "Return to Innocence", is what makes it such an immense masterpiece. Combining the Native Malaysian-chant with a techno beat is genius. This further tells you that Enigma is full of original ideas and styles. Look more deeper, you'll find "I Love You... I'll Kill You" to be quite the relaxing track. Full of synth effects, tribal drums and female vocals so smooth it sounds like a phone sex snippet.

"The Eyes of Truth" is the highlight of the album. Many know this song from the 1999 Warner Bros. hit movie, The Matrix. What begins with a scary indian flute transforms into another Malaysian female chant. The song's lengthy 7-minute mark eventually breaks up at 4 minutes, and then goes into an orchestra chant most likely heard on movie trailers. Only difference is, this actually feels like a real song. Its a must-listen, I simply cannot stress enough how good "The Eyes of Truth" is.

"Silent Warrior", which by some miracle, features an Elton John-sounding fellow I cannot describe. His lyrics speak about death, love, religion and the coming of God. Also, the chorus is a similiar chant heard in "Return to Innocence". This song is epic in its own way, whether you a fan of World music or not.

The rest of the album flows track after track into a stunning mixture of chant, orchestra, techno and rock. However, not to say the album is perfect. The only thing held back is each songs incredible length, even for an album only 45 minutes. It can be repetitive and outgunned, constantly rolling the same 4-bar beat only to extend the songs limit. This somehow serves as its strong point too, bringing more depth and variation.

"The Cross of Changes" is Enigma's masterpiece. If you were a fan collector of the 90's much more anticipated albums, like The Prodigy's "Fat of the Land", The Chemical Brothers "Dig Your Own Hole" & Moby's "Play", then this is work you should not miss.
The silent man should be heard, but unfortunately TCOC will not appeal to many looking for more techno-big beat. However, if you're willing to try something new and innovative I strongly suggest Enigma.

Recommended tracks:
1. "The Eyes of Truth"
2. "Return to Innocence"
3. "Silent Warrior"
4. "Age of Loneliness"

Various Artists Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Official SoundtrackVarious Artists The Matrix: Music From The Motion Picture
Enigma Seven Lives, Many FacesFort Minor The Rising Tied - Tour Edition
Enigma MCMXC a.D.Linkin Park Xero

rasputin
August 27th 2008

I Love You...I'll Kill You is an awesome track

tinathefatlard
September 4th 2008

Dream of the dolphins puts me to sleep everytime, in a good way. I was waiting for someone to review this, good job.

yas666eer

I Love You...

I'll Kill You

SanguineCream
November 28th 2012

Nice review. An innovative classic right here. Hey, and how come nobody's on sputnik's done a review on any of Deep Forest's albums? They did some pretty brilliant stuff around this time aswell. Would be great to see you do a review of their debut if you're at all a fan of their work? Cheers

SanguineCream
November 28th 2012

Nice review. An innovative classic right here. Hey, and how come nobody on sputnik's done a review on any of Deep Forest's albums? They wrote some pretty inventive stuff around this time aswell. Would be great to see you do a review of their debut if you're at all a fan of their work?

CycleMotion
September 18th 2013

One of my TOP 10 albums of all time. Really adore this one, great calming atmosphere and every song is great. :D

September 18th 2013

Yep, this is great.

OmairSh
February 11th 2014

Carly don't be sad

Digging: Paco de Lucia - El Duende Flamenco

ChoccyPhilly
August 26th 2014

Probably have to bump this down, it's not as good as I remember and Return to Innocence is awkwardly poppy. How does this have a higher average than MCMXC?!

Digging: Limbonic Art - Moon In The Scorpio

Wadlez
August 29th 2014

Because you touch yourself at night. Digging.

ChoccyPhilly