Nunchukka Superfly
There are No Accidents... Just Fuckwits

by Tom Tom USER (1 Reviews)
August 26th, 2008 | 14 replies | 5,848 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A solid, unique album that combines psychedelic punk with Melvin-esque post-metal.

Nunchukka Superfly is an Australian punk/psychedelic/post-metal band comprising of Ray, Blackie (two thirds of the legendary Sydney band The Hard-Ons) and Joel. There Are No Accidents...Just ***wits is essentially a post-hardcore album with huge stoner riffs, psychedelic twists, jazzy time-shifts, punk rock fury, reflective passages and vocals that range from a raw-throated holler to a soft whisper.

Opener “Hat” kicks things off with a slow, distorted guitar riff reminiscent of The Melvins. Ray keeps the rhythm pounding with relentless bass guitar that compliments the crashing of the drums quite effectively. Blackie brings cohesiveness to the track with dissonant riffage and a vast vocal range. Another highlight is “Paul Cook's Doppelganger”. Clocking in at 9:53, this somewhat epic track explores elements of noise rock and contains some very interesting vocal passages. It also experiments with odd structure and time signature shifts.

“Sleeping Bag Stingray” is the most experimental track on the album. It begins with a looped sample of a woman speaking some Eastern European language played over a keyboard melody and Blackie’s ghostly vocals. “Bleed From Their Mouths” begins with a scratchy bass riff and very Mike Patton-esque vocals from Blackie and is a highlight of the album. “Giordano Brund's Trial Set to Music” is a long track that plays with jazzy-time shifts without sacrificing the sludgy heaviness. It contains a very prog-psychedelic middle section that features with up-tempo keyboards. The only real flaw in the album I think is Joel’s drumming which lacks the originality that the rest of the music has.

There Are No Accidents...Just ***wits is the second effort from Nunchukka Superfly and possesses a uniqueness that is very fresh in terms of today’s music scene. Essentially, There Are No Accidents...Just ***wits is a heavy album that combines elements of punk, noise, metal and psychedelic music into a varied but cohesive piece. It is the result of some of Australia’s most underrated and hard working musicians (Ray and Blackie) and manages to be dense, experimental, progressive and ***-heavy throughout the 12 tracks. Highly recommended for fans of The Hard-Ons and The Melvins.

August 26th 2008

This is my first review since joining Sputnik about 3 days ago so any constructive criticism would be appreciated

bustyagunz
August 26th 2008

pretty good first, you describe the sound well. maybe a bit longer next time, i'm guessing this is a very long album due to the track length of Paul Cook's Doppelganger and the overall number of tracks. welcome to sputnik

August 26th 2008

Thanks. The album is pretty damn long yeah. I thought i would try reviewing something that hasnt been done yet.

June 2nd 2009

so...

J2e2c
July 26th 2009

This is one of the shorter reviews I have encountered. Not bad, just short.

July 29th 2009

pfft yeah thanks for the troll neg. And just for the record, i didn't neg your Isis review, i just criticised.

Xenophanes
September 10th 2009

Might check out, kinda in the mood for something different. Nice review though

September 14th 2009

Cheers, definitely check it out, it's pretty good. I'm too lazy to start reviewing consistently.

Emim
January 9th 2010

The name made me say: What. The. Hell.

I pos'd btw to counter that troll one you got, plus it was written decently.

January 9th 2010

thankyou thankyou. Do you like this sort of music?

Emim
January 9th 2010

This seems like something I could see myself liking, so I shall definitely check this out.

nice

HeavyB
April 10th 2010

Needs more Melivins comparisons

May 29th 2010

lovin the troll neg's this bad boy got