Lupe Fiasco
The Cool

by Sam Knight USER (28 Reviews)
August 26th, 2008 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Cool is one of the most original, incredible, dark, favourable and real hip-hop albums to come out in a while.

What makes a great hip-hop album? Could it be the overrated beats? Could it be the gangster talk we've all strangely come to love? Could it be the fact that we don't really know what real hip-hop is? Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you Lupe Fiasco.

Once a rebel, Food & Liquor steps up beyond lyrical content and beats, showing off Fiasco's more sensitive side to hip-hop. He keeps a neat flow, a respectable producer and Titanic-deep metaphors. Also, word play is key to his almost failed distinguishable trademark style. Putting it simple, Fiasco can flip a verb ten times faster than Jamie Oliver can flip a pancake. Seeing as this is his second attempt, you can't help but notice the flaws in comparison to Food & Liquor.

For one, the beats are far less variated and feel choppy and unfinished ("Superstar", "Go Go Gadget Flow"). The second notable difference is the Titanic-deep metaphorical phrases he often uses. After listening to "Dumb It Down" for the seventh time do I really pick up the first line he cleverly sweeped up. This proves to be his strongest point in hip-hop and therefore finding uncommon ground with mainstream rappers. What we've become so advised to listen to in todays hip-hop, the speaking of drugs, cars, money and degrading women, how can we ever understand Lupe Fiasco's dark complexity?

The Cool, an extention of the song of the same name on Food & Liquor, tells the story of Michael Young History and his resurrection from the grave as a cleaned up man, no more drug dealing and psychosocial ghetto warfares. People will slip past the strong emphasis this story has on the hip-hop Nas once claimed "dead". See the metaphor now?
Fortunately (and for some, unfortunately) this is kind of how the whole album flows. Track after track speaking in a smart tone about issues concerning worldly events.

This is Fiasco's strong point. Tracks like "Streets on Fire", "Dumb It Down" & "Hip-Hop Saved My Life" are pheonomenal because it carries a strong message and still delivers unmatched beats to go with it. Also, the featured artists in these songs play a key role to its moody approach, much on the matter of "Streets on Fire" with Matthew Santos' unbelievable introduction and chorus. Truly a spectacular track. Apart from clever word play and instant genius flow, there comes the songs with no meaning at all, and feel like rushed B-sides instead of final products.

This is Fiasco's weak point. Following the tracks "Go Baby", "Go Go Gadget Flow" & "Paris, Tokyo" they seem to appeal to a much more mainstream audience. Not to say this is bad, but repetitive knowing what you thought was the best rapper ever suddenly became overplayed by your nooby twelve-year old brother. This degrades his status, but we still give him praise. Coincidence? I think not.

"Go Baby" is the closer of the album, but personally I should've felt it stop at "Fighters". Even Gemini couldn't save this track. It is refered to "....the ladies", which the only good side is that Lupe doesn't have to call them his "shawty".

Other than that, The Cool is a gem of its kind. There are songs on here that will blow away your mind, literally. Listening to Lupe's words is like opening a book of BrainTwister and attempting to answer each question in immediate response. He keeps the people gripped to his music, which little musicians have failed to achieve in their musical career..... ever. And yet, a dorky kid from Chi-town suddenly shows up, and in only two albums puts out an entire race of legendary rappers.

Not to say Lupe Fiasco is the original XD boy from down the street. On The Cool, he is constantly influenced by the likes of Jay-Z and Kanye West, most notable on "Put You on Game" & "Intruder Alert". This strips a piece of his originality away, but c'mon? Is Kanye ever gonna step up to Lupe's complexity?

On the side note, the featured artists on The Cool are worth a quarter of the praise. Nikki Jean, Sarah Green and Baba's intro have incredible femme fatale feels. Bishop G, long time collaborator Gemini and the great Matthew Santos have all had their pieces of work that, without them, Lupe Fiasco would cease to exist.

Conclude, The Cool is one of the most original, incredible, dark, favourable and real hip-hop albums to come out in a while, ever since the likes of Jay-Z's "Reasonable Doubt". Its easy to find fault in his style, but that means you're not fully understanding and appreciating his music, meaning you're a noob. Its underrated, and amazes me. This is clearly Lupe's trademark album, if F&L failed to impact the music scene. Its a darn shame that his next album will be his retirement, but with a mentor like Jay-Z, its highly impossible.

Recommended tracks:
1. "The Coolest"
2. "Hip-Hop Saved My Life"
3. "Streets on Fire"
4. "Dumb It Down"
5. "Put You On Game"
6. "Blackout" (Bonus Track)

Various Artists Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Official SoundtrackVarious Artists The Matrix: Music From The Motion Picture
Enigma Seven Lives, Many FacesFort Minor The Rising Tied - Tour Edition
Enigma MCMXC a.D.Linkin Park Xero
Mike Dracon (4.5)

Dr Dave De Sylvia STAFF (3)
Surprisingly, The Cool works despite its many obvious flaws...

August 26th 2008

"real hip hop" is a shitty argument

Poet
August 26th 2008

what is "real hip hop" anyways?

lupe fiasco obviously

ninjuice
August 26th 2008

Wordplay is one word dude.

MrHell
August 26th 2008

Thanks for the comments, but I'm not argueing on "real hip-hop". I'm just stating the obvious.

@ ninjuice: Go easy on me, I just joined.

August 26th 2008

there's nothing "obvious" about saying "real hip hop" and it's an argument when you use it in support of your rating and like for this album.
and the only thing more condescending than the implications of this being "real" is this line, regardless of whether you were being facetious or not:

August 26th 2008

i love lupe but there are better, and real hip hop is kinda anything real that is hip hop, regardless of whether its good or not. calling people noobs in a review is a no no too.

MrHell
August 26th 2008

Sorry about that part. It was meant to be edited out, I didn't have the time. Like I said, first review. I've got a lot to learn.

album rules

plane
August 26th 2008

i usually just include lupe within the same artists that reviews like this always try to place him above
i mean he's good but wtf

August 26th 2008

he seems to be slowly turning into a cocky bag of horseshit based on everything i've read

August 26th 2008

that's just him becoming realer and realer

plane

hahaha

August 26th 2008

dumb it down was fail, lupe has never used big words... although he raps about better **** than a lot of whats popular today

comity

no he doesn't

SynGates
August 26th 2008

I really like Little Weapon, Hiphop Saved My Life, and Fighters off of this.

dawija3
August 26th 2008

You guys should get off his ass. He said he was new and is still learning to write reviews with his own, open-minded opinion. When your ears perk up at the mention of "real hip-hop" and you flare your nostrils because you dont understand the difference between arguments and opinions, your only causing unnecessary fus, when you could have just avoided it all by leaving your negative comments in that empty void you call a brain. These reviews are meant for the feedback on the album, not for your prissy little discussion about why you didn't make it as a writer, or your definition of "real hip-hop".

August 26th 2008

real hip hop is hip hop............nobody ever said it was bad, hence its lack of negs

[quote=dawija3]I'M A FAGGOT[/quote]

dawija3
August 26th 2008

If I wasn't new to this site, and knew how to quote, I would say... "I LIKE BRIGHT EYES AND I'M CALLING SOMEONE ELSE A FAGGOT LOL .... orginally posted by mynameischan"