AFI
Sing the Sorrow

by Morningstar98 USER (4 Reviews)
August 23rd, 2008 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sing the Sorrow is a fine example of AFI's talent and musical genius.

AFI has entered the Main Stream. Have they changed? Of course they have. That's what AFI is all about. And if you don't like, so what? Sing the Sorrow is AFI's Masterpiece in my mind. So many different sounds collide when listening to this wonderful album. Here we go into the enjoyable dark abyss that is STS!

Track 1 : Miseria Cantare - The Beginning
Rating 4/5

Your basic AFI intro. The title translates as Sing the Sorrow. (I think...) It starts with eerie noises followed by Adam banging a defiant beat on his drums. Then, a group vocal part comes in, with an E Minor to accompany it. Then all fades, and the drums get raw, and Davey starts singing the beginning of a masterpiece. This song is just an intro, but is has so many features. Even bells in the background ringing along with the guitar. It ends and here we go folks...

Track 2 : Leaving Song Pt.2
Rating 5/5

One of AFI's classics that everyone loves. At least it seems to be that way. The chorus is always builtup into, and is a barrage of war cries. Many choruses off STS are indeed like that. Davey uses some Spanish as well to dramaticize his lyrics. Bilingual ftw! It goes into an impressive guitar part and a quiet part all leading to the chorus, ending it all.

Track 3 : Bleed Black
Rating 4/5

Very good beginning. Awsome guitar riff. Awsome drum line. A Davey "OH!" as well. The first verse is fantastic. As is the chorus, with alternating voice parts and powerful instrumentals. This song didn't entirely blow me away like it should've. It is a great song.

Track 4 : Silver and Cold
Rating 5/5

My favorite STS song. It starts with a beautiful piano part. It then starts the band up with a simple beginning with chords and slow drums. It goes acoustic, and a whisper-singing Davey. This builds up to an epic chorus, that I must say is one of my favorites. The drums get louder as do the guitars in the 2nd verse. It builds up through out the song. This is STS at it's finest.

Track 5 : Dancing Through Sunday
Rating 5/5

Although short, this is one of AFI's best songs ever. It starts out fast, and stays that way up until the guitar goes into a frenzy of "AWSOME"! With Jade's best solo as a member of AFI, this song is a favorite among everyone who has listened to AFI ever. Two greats in a row. Maybe three?

Track 6 : Girl's Not Grey
Rating 5/5

Wow. Another great song. Three in a row. This was a big 'un in 2003 on TVs everywhere. This is up there with AFI's great songs of the past 10 years. AFI fan hit + Mainstream hit = GREAT SUCCESS!

Track 7 : Death of Seasons
Rating 5/5

Another fantastic song. An amazing bass riff to begin, and Davey screaming...Turns into a fast paced onslaught full of energy and emotion. You hear a hint of DU in the 2nd verse at about 1:10-1:25 as well. When you think this goliath of a song is over, cellos start playin just about the saddest thing ever, as Davey's fading screams loom...

Track 8 : The Great Disappoint
Rating 4/5

Awwww, the run of 5 star songs has indeed ended...but this is song that I think sounds like one is discovering something never seen before...a mystery. AS the sound FX crescendo, all the instruments come in at different times. Jade with yet another creative riff, with whisper-singing by Davey. A war cry chorus with some cool guitar. Overall, an Average AFI song, which is still high on the scale.

Track 9 : Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings)
Rating 5/5

Great song, with some great riffs and drums. A song that is fast paced, and has that AFI kick to it. With the Group Chorus vocals of course. The long buildup to the last chorus is a good example of how far AFI have come in their career. From simple punk riffs to this...simply unbelievable.

Track 10 : This Celluloid Dream
Rating 4/5

Great vocals on this track, as well as raw emotion. You hear it in Davey's voice. He really likes singing this song. A very odd change in key close to the end of the song, leading to the final chorus, which is full of noise and group vocals. One of the best song names as well.

Track 11 : The Leaving Song
Rating 4.5/5

A complete acoustic track, with just a guitar and Davey singing with it. Beautiful chords as well, as a steady pace to go with it. The extra FX make this song a joy to listen to.

Track 12 : ...But Home is Nowhere
Rating 4/5

An epic beginning, middle, and end to this song. War cry chorus with Davey yelling over the top of it all. An AFI fan favorite. But it's not exactly this part that everyone gets excited about...

Track 12 1/2 : This Time Imperfect
Rating 5/5

After minutes of silence after "...But Home is Nowhere", you will hear this song. One of AFI's best songs ever. This has "Epic" written all over it. There is so much raw emotion put into this song, you don't want it to end. But it does.

OHHH, another extraaaaa.

Track UK : Now the World
Rating 5/5

Incredible song, that if they would've had on the album, I swear the world would've gone absolutely ape**** over it. Pretty close to as good as Dancing through Sunday. A Fan Favorite, and one that has a perfect song structure. Creative guitar, chorus, and everything. Changes in tempo, and in key. Everything you want from AFI is right here in this piece of fine divinity.

Sing the Sorrow is perhaps one of my favorite albums ever. I highly recomend getting this album. This is however, not an album you would want to start off with as a person looking to buy sn AFI CD.

This CD influences me to make my own music, and to keep believing in times of doubt. This is AFI. This is who they are.

SHOOTME
August 24th 2008

half-decent first review, but you may want to get rid all of the "goods", "greats" and "awesomes" and fill it with more details. Just read staff or contributor reviews to get an idea of what a good review here is.

Jom
August 24th 2008

I would recommend, in the future, that you submit sound-offs with this sort of style. I recognize that sound-offs have a certain word limit, but I would personally like to see a little more description and a lot less "awwws" and "FTWs." You're free to use those things in the more informal sound-offs, but for the reviews, they're somewhat discouraged. Either way, welcome.

bustyagunz
August 24th 2008

what everyone else says, and try not to post 4 reviews back to back to back to back. n welcome to sputnik.

August 24th 2008

I'm seriously doing this for the first time, so I have no idea what i'm doing, but thanks for the feedback.

BludgeonySteve

I love this album.

A great start to writing. You remind me of myself 3 years ago. As you continue to write, you should work on your diction and musical analysis. And for the love of AFI, never give up.

August 24th 2008

Thanks a lot for the feedback and kind words. The actual way I did these reviews is listen to them, and write down as I listened to the album, so I know I can do better work than this.

I was just trying this "Review Music" thing.

Athom
August 24th 2008

Welcome to the site. Here's my 2 cents: You say that you jotted everything down as you listened to the album. To me, that works to a lesser extent. I like to listen to whatever album I'm planning on reviewing a few times and jot down what sticks out be it positive or negative and then expand on that. It seems to work for me.

August 24th 2008

Thanks for the rare positive feedback haha. I may try

AtavanHalen
August 24th 2008

Read what other people do before you try anything. I learned that the hard way.

NOTINTHEFACE
August 24th 2008

What everyone else said. I would like to stress that TBT's are discouraged here and, while there's nothing wrong with them, the best reviews will usually be the ones that talk about the album as a whole. In a column I wrote for Kidcrash's Jokes (not on this site) I listened to it two or three times before I started writing, and then wrote without music so I could write without distraction. Keep it up, though. Practice makes perfect, and you're on the right track.
And... this is one of the best albums ever. I'm something of a fanboy.

August 24th 2008

Yes, I'm in the same boat as you. They're my favorite band.

Thanks for some positive words.

Bfhurricane
August 24th 2008

Welcome to the site. Although not a stellar review, no one would expect anything more out of it for being your first. I don't mind track-by-tracks, but for future reference, the better reviews are the ones that discuss certain highlights and failures within the album in an educated manner, as well as shedding light on certain aspects of the album that may have not been brought to attention in the other reviews for the album. If you want to write a TBT, write it as if you were stepping through the album, not like a laundry list of cool parts or simple adjectives. I mean, look at your description for Girl's Not Grey. Your description to Death of Seasons is good though.

And don't take any of that personally, it's just room to improve. As far as your song ratings to, I pretty much agree. It's also very refreshing to see AFI fans join the site as well.This Message Edited On 08.24.08

Chewie
September 6th 2008

don't review 4 albums in a row, how can you expect quality reviews? Take your time with them. holy shit...