Gravediggaz
6 Feet Deep

by The Writer Ov This Review USER (49 Reviews)
August 21st, 2008 | 111 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Gravediggaz are known to many as the founders of the Rap subgenre "Horrorcore". This near classic shows some serious talent of this group of MCs.

Most people hear have probably heard about this album without checking it out, hopefully I can convince you to pick this up. I don't know much about the groups history, but it sounds like there are 3 MCs in the group, each of which have their own unique flow. This album is believed to be the first ever attemp at the rap sub-genre called "Horrorcore" which blends harcore gangster rap with lyrics that seem fitting for a horror movie.

The beats have to be one of the highlights of the album for me, they have a real old school rap sounding beat, some of them have some funk influence aswell. Alot of the songs have a steady guitar lick to go with the rhythm, which raises the creepy factor of the overall sound of those songs.

Most of the songs have a couple lines that get stuck in your head and its very easy to sing along with. They can make just about anything catchy like, "G to the R to the A to the V, E to the D to the I to the G ,G to the A to the zig zag Z, GRAVEDIGGAZ NIGGA 6 FEET DEEP!", everytime I hear that I feel like I have to sing along. The songs typically stick to the themes of killing, insanity, and getting high.

The MCs have fairly good rhymes, I only have one complaint, one of them kind of sounds like he's whispering most the time then he'll just yell the last word in his verse, its cool at first but after awhile it gets a little annoying.

If your not a fan of older rap I'd still check this out, some of the lyrics are amazing and sick, which is worth the price of the album anyway. The song "Trippin" has one of the most addictive guitar licks in it. The other MCs in the groups have great flow, they kind of remind me of the Wu-Tang Clan in ways.

There is quite a bit of profanity in the lyrics, so if you find that offencive in anyway you should probably avoid this album.
When people think of the word Horrorcore alot of people think ICP, this really isn't related in anyway. Some of my personal favorite songs on this album are 2 Cups of Blood, Trippin, and 6 Feet Deep all of which are very rhythmatic and catchy.

Overall I give this album 4.5 out of 5. The only reason its not a classic is because of the guy who whispers the whole verse yells the last few words, it really gets annoying enough to take this album down a peg from classic. Everything on the album aside from that is amazing. The cd has absolutely no filler if you ask me, which is hard to come by in a rap album because most people only buy rap cds for 2 or 3, or sometimes even one song.

Pros
----------
Trippin
Great Rhythm
Beats
Good Flow
No Filler
Catchy hooks

Cons
----------
Annoying MC

Blaspherian Infernal Warriors Of DeathHaeresiarchs Of Dis Denuntiatus Cinis
Ana Kefr The Burial Tree (II)Autaric Demo 2009
Candle Serenade Nosferatu's PassionScaremaker What Evil Have They Summoned...
4.2
djon96 (4)

TMobotron CONTRIBUTOR (5)
RZA of Wu-Tang Clan fame joins forces with a group of extremely talented musicians to influence the ...

August 21st 2008

It was extremely hard for me to write a non-metal review, so please give me some feed back.

Polaris

CRITICS SAY GO TO HELL, I SAY YEAH, STUPID MUTHA-FUCKER I'M ALREADY HERE

SHOOTME
August 21st 2008

Most people hear have probably heard about this album

you mean here don't you?

this is a decent review, but more description on the lyrics would be nice.

trailerparkmulletwar
August 22nd 2008

Zig-Zag-Zig, meaning from Knowledge to Wisdom to Understanding, from the Nation of Gods and Earths Supreme Alphabet, a system of interpreting text and finding deeper meaning in the original 120 Questions written by Elijah Muhammad and Wallace Fard Muhammad.

GRAVEDIGGAZ stands for "God-Ruler-Allah-Victory-Equality-Divine-I-God-God-Allah-Zig-Zag-Zig".This Message Edited On 08.22.08

sudsmcduff444
August 22nd 2008

Didn't these guys do an EP with Tricky at one point?

August 22nd 2008

Hmmm... I'm not sure I'll look it up.

Gore
December 17th 2008

Might check this out, I need some good hiphop

December 17th 2008

This should tide you over for awhile

January 19th 2009

why the fuck don't I have this?

January 19th 2009

shit... I didn't know RZA helped create horrorcore...

man, what the fuck did the wu-tang not influence?

this is really good. dark, abrasive, harsh, and has a dark sense of humor.This Message Edited On 01.19.09

st4ytrue
January 19th 2009

Bang Your Head is just unfair to every other rap song ever.

January 19th 2009

Just listened to Diary Of A Madman on youtube, and have come to the conclusion that I need this album as soon as possible.

January 19th 2009

just finished this album a few hours ago. definitely worth it.

diary is great, but my favorite track is blood brothers.

January 19th 2009

I've listened to half of it so far, going to finish it off tomorrow. From the tracks I've heard it's fantastic.

Definitely reminds me of Wu-Tang, but that's obviously going to happen with RZA being in the group.This Message Edited On 01.19.09

January 20th 2009

This is worthy of the wu-tang clan.

Hell, I consider this one of the Wu-tang albums just because RZA is in it and does the beats. They definitely have the dark, minimalistic feel that RZA is so adept at creating.

January 25th 2009

One of these guys reminds me of ODB's vocal style. Not sure which member it is though.

June 30th 2009

Too Poetic is the one that sounds like ODB I believe.
RIP Too Poetic

Shadowed Reflection
October 2nd 2009

I really like this album a whole lot. Puts itself above most other hip-hop albums for its originality and prince paul's production.

As for the review I don't think it was too bad, except I don't get your complaint about the whispering, I never noticed that at all.

scyther
October 2nd 2009

Album kicks ass, one of RZA's finest moments.

October 12th 2009

Not just one of RZA's finest moments, one of the finest moments in Hip-Hop period ;)
I might do some editing to this review considering it isn't that great