Eluveitie
Slania

by Corey USER (26 Reviews)
August 21st, 2008 | 13 replies | 2,655 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not exactly melo-death and heavier than folk but fans of both genres will enjoy it.

Eluveitie consists of eight members. A vocalist/flute player, two guitarists, a bassist, a drummer, a violinist, a bagpiper player and a woman that plays something called a hurdygurdy. They play a combination of melodic death metal and Celtic folk music. All that sounds like a gigantic mess on paper doesn't it? Don't worry, once you actually listen to their, you might have discovered your new favorite band.

A quick description of their sound is Dark Tranquillity with Celtic folk instruments. Vocalist Chrigel Glanzmann's rough, growled vocals sounds almost identical to Dark Tranquillity's Mikael Stane. He also has a couple spots where he does clean vocals like in "Grey Sublime Archon." An interesting thing is that he provides the flute melodies for the band as well which are a key part of their music. The guitar work is very reminiscent of At The Gates. Fast, heavy, melodic riffs but nothing super technical. All of the other instruments make up for the guitar work such as the violin and bagpipe melodies played by Meri Tadic and Sevan Kirder, respectfully.

Slania opens up with "Samon" which is basically an intro track used to create atmosphere. It's flows into "Primordial Breath," one of the faster and heavier songs on the album. Songs like this and "Bloodstained Ground" are more reminiscent of Gothenburg melodic death metal. They are heavy, fast-paced and mostly sung with harsh vocals. There are slower, more melodic tracks like "Inis Mona" and "Anagantios," the latter being an interlude. "Inis Mona" is the most melodic song on the album that isn't an interlude, as well as one of the catchiest. It is followed by the forementioned "Bloodstained Ground" which contrasts it as it is probably the heaviest song on the album. This song would fit perfectly on the soundtrack of a Mideval fantasy movie, particually during a battle scene. The most interesting song on Slania is "Slanias Song" which is sung in Gaelic with mostly female vocals. It sounds nearly like an ancient chant and gives the album a very unique edge that separates them from others in the melodic death metal and folk metal scene. The album closer, "Elembivos" is mostly instrumental with the only vocals being a few lines of what might be a prayer or another chant. It ends the album beautifully it almost feels like you're at the end of an epic movie or battle scene staring at what's left of everything.

Eluvietie are a completely different giant from everyone else in melodic death metal and folk metal. There aren't many melo-death bands that use folk instruments and they are much heavier than a lot of folk metal bands. It's almost as if they stand alone in their own genre. Not exactly melo-death and heavier than folk but fans of both genres will enjoy it. Not exactly sure what to call this but needless to say, they made an excellent album with Slania, one of the best metal albums of the year so far.

Favorite Tracks: Bloostained Ground, Primordial Breath, Slainias Song, Tarvos

Living With Lions Dude Manor EPTigers Jaw Tigers Jaw
Razor of Occam Homage To MartyrsThe Blackout Argument Remedies
Propagandhi Supporting CasteLamb of God Wrath
Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Welcome to your new favorite metal genre....

Logan Nagel (4)
Eluveitie is an excellent Celtic folk group, and a pretty good melodic death group. The question is,...

Frederick Metzengerstein (4)
Dark Tranquillity mating with some Celtic women....

August 21st 2008

Short but pretty good review. Album is pretty cool, I don't find it a 4.5 but great nonetheless. Having a drummer named Merlin cannot fail in anyway so that's settled. Similar to this band is Arkona but Russian instead. Eluveitie are one of the better bands in the folk metal genre I agree with fully I think you would love them man. And apparently, Anna Murphy is 19, that's sexy as hell. This Message Edited On 08.21.08

ninjuice
August 21st 2008

Decent review, although the second paragraph kinda looks like you just copied the other review for this.
Still anxious to get this, but I have other "undigested" albums to satisfy me for now.

RobSinister
August 21st 2008

I think it's a solid 4. Some of the tracks drag but the formula is interesting enough to keep you listening. Great album.

Duraganyolcu
August 15th 2009

Maybe it's the best folk metal album for me. They totally destroyed my barriers against folk metal, nowadays I'm listening that genre madly thanks to them.

SCREAM!
August 16th 2009

Hey when you start looking for some really different and amazing folk metal (which you will after a bit trust me) go check out Sailing The Seas Of Fate By SIG:AR:TYR. Awesome acoustic based folk metal.

Also good review. This really is one of the betetr folk metal bands out there

fireaboveicebelow
August 16th 2009

I cannot believe how hard it is to get people to listen to SIG AR TYR seriously, but of course if any staff member said to everyone and their mother would own it

SCREAM!

ITs so true haha

I've been whoring the fuck out of that band since i started reviewing him and still barely any attention

Duraganyolcu
November 1st 2009

Thanks for recommendation. I'll have a look.

DinoX
December 1st 2010

If the vikings had this music back in the day, they would have conquered the planet.

^ Thought I'd share a guy from youtube's comment because I can