Cannibal Corpse
Tomb of the Mutilated

2.0
poor

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (54 Reviews)
August 19th, 2008 | 99 replies | 7,185 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Cannibal Corpse is easily the most notorious band in the death metal scene. They were one of the pioneers of the genre and the first to create music that revolved solely around blood, gore and violence(often sexual violence).

Tomb Of The Mutilated is the band’s third full-length album and sees them continue in the same vein of gore-obsessed death metal as their first two. The band seems to have tried harder to shock the general public with an album cover featuring two rotting corpses in a position for oral sex and also by including songs such as: I Cum Blood, Addicted To Vaginal Skin and of couse Entrails Ripped From A Virgin’s Cunt.

The album starts with the great track Hammer Smashed Face. This song shows you that Cannibal Corpse have not softened. It delivers Chris Barnes’ signature growl accompanied by some quick drumming and heavy riffing. The album’s most interesting riff is on this song and everything sounds well in place. But as soon as this track ends, things start to get more tedious.

Chris Barnes has no range whatsoever. He goes from low growls to more low growls to even more low growls. This grows very tiresome after a few tracks especially since none of them are intelligible. The album would’ve at least had some novelty value if the lyrics on songs such as I Cum Blood or Post Mortal Ejaculation could be understood. He consist the main problem with this album because his growls are always in the forefront of the sound and get very annoying after a few tracks.

Instrument-wise the album is decent. Everything is always set on fast and brutal. The drums are fast and essentially blast beats. Mazurkiewicz throws in a few interesting fills here and there but nothing particularly noteworthy when compared to some of the other drummers in the genre. A big problem a find is his drum is too loud. A drummer is there to provide the backbone of the sound but his drum always seems as loud and sometimes louder then the guitars. In songs like Split Wide Open and Entrails Ripped From A Virgin’s Cunt, when the drums are going full speed and Chris is growling his ass off one must strain to hear what is going on with the guitars.

The guitars range from great to boring. Hammer Smashed Face features some interesting heavy riffing and quite a few great riffs are sprinkled throughout the album (the opening riff to Post Mortal Ejaculation is a perfect example). But by the end of the album, you can’t help but wonder whether you have heard some of those riffs in earlier songs. There is a style of riff that involves playing just a few notes very fast that seems to re-occur in almost every song. The few solos that are thrown in all have a sort of chaotic sound that fits with the music very well and are also technical and show a lot of talent from the guitarists.

One thing that help this album redeem itself is the bass. It is almost always audible. It usually follow the guitar lines (but from the little bit of bass experience I have I’d say it must be pretty challenging in this case). A few bass solos are included in the album. Although all very short they do provide an interesting technical aspect to some songs. The most memorable one is easily the tapping at the beginning of Hammer Smashed Face.

While Cannibal Corpse do manage to create a fast brutal experience for the listener, the album is brought down by extremely repetitive vocals, some boring riffing and the production(the drums being to loud is really the main issue with it). Later on the band will fix some of these problems by replacing their one trick poney (Chris Barnes for the slower ones) and cleaning up their production just a bit.

Recommended Tracks
Hammer Smashed Face
Post Mortal Ejaculation
Beyond The Cemetary

Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
Matta PrototypeDeadmau5 Random Album Title
Will Forest (4.5)
Death metal classic to say the least....

Harry B. Price (4.5)

Second negative review. Go me

masscows

aural sex
oral*

August 19th 2008

Fixed. Looks like im starting to mix my french and my english which is not goodThis Message Edited On 08.19.08

Hawks
August 19th 2008

I disagree with you on this one SCREAM, but still a good review.

August 19th 2008

I just don't like Chris Barnes' vocals, especially on the C.C. albums he sang on. He was ok in Ace Ventura though.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

August 19th 2008

Never heard of Ace Ventura but i agree on the CC as you can see. He's such a boring vocalist on here

Crysis
August 19th 2008

Hammer Smashed Face is one of the only songs worth giving a shit about with this band.

Digging: Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

August 19th 2008

I kidna really like Decency Defied and a few songs Butchered At Birth. But then again this cd and Butchered are the only CC ive heard

August 19th 2008

I'm talking about the movie "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective". Cannibal Corpse plays live during a scene in the movie. In the director's cut Jim Carrey even jumps on stage and growls too.This Message Edited On 08.19.08

Bleak123

1902 Comments

Ace Ventura ..what an amazing couple of films

August 19th 2008

Wow my review became the default review for this jsut like that...pretty cool

Here is the Youtube video of Jim Carey with Cannibal Corpse:

UnderFlames
August 19th 2008

Out of the three I've heard, this is my least favorite. I like Kill and The Bleeding more.

SHOOTME

meh album, good review.

willfellmarsy

Jim Carey's favorite band=canibal corpse

Hammer Smashed face is good but that's really all that i've heard from this...good review as always YELL!

Ace Ventura clip is win

rasputin

[quote=Crysis]
Hammer Smashed Face is one of the only songs worth giving a **** about with this band.[/quote]
The ONLY song

August 20th 2008

Decency Defied is kickass as well

August 21st 2008

Internally bleeding
Vagina, secreting
her blood-wet pussy
I am eating
on her guts I am feeding
Mutilated with a machete
I fucked her dead body
The first and last
Your life's only romance
My knife's jammed in your ass
As you die you orgasm[/quote]

Just had to post it