Stevie Ray Vaughan
Live at the El Mocambo (DVD)

by Chewbacca USER (32 Reviews)
July 3rd, 2005 | 8 replies | 8,953 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Live at the El Mocambo was recorded and filmed at the El Mocambo in Toronto, Canada. At the time, 1983, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's career was just starting to take off. Texas Flood, their first album, had been praised by critics and fans, and Stevie was starting to be recognized as the next guitarist in blues and rock music.

Production : 5/5

The production aspects of Live at the El Mocambo are absolutely flawless. It has a rather vintage look to it, as it was filmed in 1983, and resonates a very warm, intimate feel. This is probably due to the fact that the club was rather small. You get a healthy dose of screen shots of the audience, who seem to be enjoying the show very much, but are also modest. Would this be due to the fact taht Canadians are more reserved and calmer? Seriously, I don't really know. The sound is fantastic also. Stevie's guitar playing doesn't overpower Tommy Shannon's bass playing or Chris Layton's drumming, which is very modest in volume, compaired to some 80s drummers. You also get a good amount of footage of Double Trouble, but the focuse is still on Stevie throughout.

Performance : 4/5

The performance mainly consists of song from Texas Flood, and some new covers ("So Excited," "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" "Third Stone From the Sun," and "Wham!"). The covers, though, are not the best songs on the DVD. "Pride and Joy" boogies on, with Stevie ripping through some rather nice blues-based solos, while still retaining it as a great song. "Texas Flood" is the true highlight, with Stevie burning through the whole song with astonishing might, while Double Trouble holds the fort down. "Hug You Squeeze You" was never recorded on any studio album, but I think that it should have been. It has a fantastic groove, but it is still a rather pop-blues love song. "Lenny," an instrumental named after Stevie's wife, is a sad, jazz-influenced song and is absolutely beautiful. Stevie makes good, subtle use of the tremolo bar, and also pulls of some rather tasteful licks and solos.

Extras : 3/5

There really aren't too many extras on the DVD. There is the standard, yet redundant and pointless Discography, and Photo selections, that I never even bother with. However, there is an interview with Tommy Shannon and Christ Layton. It is somewhat informative, and is nice to watch every once in awhile, but it really isn't anything too special. There are a few humorous antictdotes on Stevie, though.

Overall, Live at the El Mocambo is a great DVD, for viewing and listening, and should be considered by anyone who enjoys Stevie's music, or blues-rock in general.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor F#A# (Infinity)Animal Collective Feels
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah Clap Your Hands Say YeahSonic Youth Washing Machine
My Bloody Valentine LovelessModest Mouse Good News For People Who Love Bad News

masada
July 5th 2005

Ba-bump.

Bfhurricane
March 26th 2006

This was my first taste of Stevie Ray Vaughan ever, and I have to say this dvd nearly made me splooge myself! This guy is fantastic, Ive never seen anyone pull off a guitar solo with the guitar on the floor (even though the string broke) that was still amazing. I can see why everyone claims this guys as one of the greatest guitarists ever

Music_Is_My_Life
April 5th 2006

Note to self: buy this DVD. I saw part of this at a friends house and I was once again
awed by Stevie's ability. It's one thing listening to it but seeing him live is much, much
better, as is usually the case with blues music.This Message Edited On 04.05.06

(*The Noonward Race*)
May 25th 2006

His bends on Texas Flood were the beginning of a new appreciation of all music for me.

stratfan
July 24th 2006

Easily one of my favorite concert dvds of all time. Truly great from start to finish!

lightningmetal666
September 12th 2006

This is one of the best DVD's of Stevie that I've ever seen.

I love the ending where he tears the sh*t out of his tremolo bar.

The cover of Voodoo Child (slight return) is amazing.

rockstar18
November 10th 2006

got this dvd other day it is mind blowin g8 buy stevie ray blows my mind! LEGEND!

BigBlob
January 21st 2013

Well its floodin' down in Texas...