Iron Maiden
The Soundhouse Tapes

good

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
August 16th, 2008 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

Formed on Christmas Day, 1975, Iron Maiden would go on to be one of the biggest metal bands ever, selling out shows all across the world. Their stage shows were filled with explosives and elaborate stage sets, and to top it all off, the band's mascot Eddie would come out on stage and wreak havok. But before travelling the world and selling out stadiums, Iron Maiden were a four piece in England. In 1978, the band released The Soundhouse Tapes, a demo tape that contained the first recordings by the band.

Right from the beginning of the band's signature song Iron Maiden, something sounds different. What sounds different is the lack of a second guitarist. That's right, Maiden were at one point a four piece band with founding member Dave Murray with guitar duties. Like all demo tapes, this is very raw, and sounds very different from the versions found on the band's eponymous self-titled album. The opener, Iron Maiden, is four minutes of raw energy. Of course, the version found on Iron Maiden is much better, because of the addition of a second guitarist, but this version is still great. Paul Di'Anno's voice is still rough and punkish, and it's a bit easier to understand on this demo, as if his voice is dominating the album, whereas on Iron Maiden and Killers it was the musicianship that stole the show. The following song, Invasion, which would later be redone drastically and put on The Number of the Beast, is the worst song, hands down. It's catchy, but Di'Anno's voice gets irritating after a while and just drags down the song. The final song, Prowler, is much worse than its counterpart on Iron Maiden, yet it is still a decent song. It lacks the power and aggression that its Iron Maiden counterpart had, but is, as I said, still decent.

This ten minute demo is a vital piece of music history, as it is the first recordings of what may be the most influential metal band of all time (excluding Black Sabbath), but really, you'd be better off to just listen to just buy the first Maiden album to get a taste of early Maiden. But hey, it's Maiden. It's good.

Sieges Even Life CycleKorpiklaani Ukon Wacka
Thergothon Stream From The HeavensThe Obsessed Lunar Womb
Saint Vitus Mournful CriesKate Bush The Kick Inside

ChaosTheory
August 16th 2008

Good review for a 10 minute album. I need to check this out to satisfy my curiosity.

Oh, you might want to edit this sentence, it does not flow too well:

AtavanHalen
August 16th 2008

Damn, this must be hard to find.

AtavanHalen
August 16th 2008

May look into this- I'm still a Maiden n00b (see my Somewhere Back in Time: The Best of review).

Zizzer
August 16th 2008

Typo in the title: "Soudhouse" instead of "Soundhouse"

Hmmm... I have every other Maiden album, so I might as well get this one too for collection sake.

ChaosTheory
August 18th 2008

to Zizzer: Some dude on youtube has posted the entire album. I suggest you check it out.

"Iron Maiden" is good but "Invasion" is terrible.

tinathefatlard
August 21st 2008

Good Review

Dirty Window Shirt

Scaliator
April 7th 2009

the track listing is wrong, it's missing "I've got the fire"

Scaliator
April 8th 2009

sorry guys, my mistake. i got the fire is the 2nd track on the b side of sanctuary.This Message Edited On 04.08.09

Waior
April 8th 2009

Enchanting album artwork.

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Second Sight

TheNotrap
August 23rd 2011

The Soundhouse Tapes (and Life 'til Leather) is the most famous demo tape ever recorded. Who have guessed these guys would become the biggest heavy metal band around?

An absolute classic.

waior is gay, rules

Digging: Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth

Bytor7
July 3rd 2012

Maiden rules and this collection of songs would forever change the course of heavy music. Cheers for the review.

ViperAces
December 12th 2012

My verision has 7 more songs lol

manosg
April 9th 2013

In terms of historical value, this is a 5.

Digging: Witchfynde - Give 'em Hell