The Sword
Gods of the Earth

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (108 Reviews)
August 15th, 2008 | 45 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Black Sabbath + Lord of the Rings + faster, thrashier sound = The Sword's second album.

4.5? what was i thinking?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????

pretty good shit though really, it's not popular to like these guys but their first two albums are solid riff-fests with good fantasy lyrics. i lost touch after that but someone got me warp riders on vinyl as a gift once and i saw them open for the kyuss reunion thing and they were powerful. nice guys too, met one of the fucks. anyway uh, decent shit, obv sabbath/sleep/vitus/melvins/most old shit is better but its fun and i heard these guys before i heard most stoner/doom shit so i think these guys are good to get people interested in the genre...although i was into the wizard and melvins and sabbath before hearin the sword

Ozric Tentacles Waterfall CitiesSieges Even Life Cycle
Korpiklaani Ukon WackaThergothon Stream From The Heavens
The Obsessed Lunar WombSaint Vitus Mournful Cries
matt1148 (4)
The Swords second album is a very solid release with plenty of great riffs, interesting lyrics and t...

Brent Stephenson (3.5)
Break out the snack foods and viking helmets! The Sword is back!...

SHOOTME
August 15th 2008

i think metallica mixed with Black Sabbath would be very very bad. Still good review.

SHOOTME
August 15th 2008

I understand that, still it would be a tad awkward.

August 15th 2008

I highly enjoy this album, as you can see by my review, but I wouldn't really say this was faster. Its fairly slow in tempo throughout actually. I kind of disagree on most of what you say about the music, while they are all extremely competent musicians, I wouldn't label the drums as "insane" or guitars "thrashey", splendid as they may be.

Though this album was great, a 4.5 is just a smidge high in my opinion, but to each his own.

Good review though.

Poet
August 15th 2008

these guys are touring with Metallica actually.

August 15th 2008

Off topic but, as a fellow (unfortunate) inhabitant of the south, I think we should start a petition to get bands to come down here. The Sword is coming through Atlanta and then Texas actually in October I believe.

Monticello
August 15th 2008

I was meaning to get this actually. I enjoyed their debut. Good review.

jrowa001
August 15th 2008

i like this album and their previous one. theyre nothing amazing but they make solid Sabbath influenced metal. i saw them open for Trivium a few years back and they were really good and heavy.

August 15th 2008

Thought it was on a Thursday...dang...well can't go that either. Don't have school on Fridays so that's opened up a lot of concert opportunities (college is awesome).

On another note, I don't really think J.D. Cronise sounds like Ozzy at all really, with the exception of how the vocals are produced with the overdubs and such, his voice is much lower and kind of has a slower southern drawl-ish quality to it. (I can see how people would think that though)

Myrrhman
August 15th 2008

too many ratings above bad

Slaytan
August 16th 2008

Looks like I'm going to check this out. Their debut was pretty good, and this sounds better than that.

P13

Freya = great

any14doomsday
August 16th 2008

I was liking this when it first came out. Its much better then age of winters, which was a little bit too generic for me. But it doesn't have much staying power. I cant even remember the last time I listened to this.

Erratic
August 16th 2008

I don't really like the singer all that much.

south_of_heaven 11

This is not good.

Bleak123

1902 Comments

bad review needs moar neg.

Bleak123

1902 Comments

haha, i was only joking

tinathefatlard

Dirty Window Shirt

musername
August 16th 2008

the singer needs some work

AngelPhoenix
August 21st 2008

The singer needs to not sing lol. This is a low 4 for me, I love the riffage, but the drums are kind of meh and the singer just annoys the hell out of me.

Oh, and solid review, but I must disagree on one thing, I feel the last two tracks are by far the best on the album and definitely the best material the sword's come up with to date. This Message Edited On 08.22.08

CushMG15
November 10th 2008

Saw these guys on Saturday with Metallica and Down. They were pretty good, but the vocals were mixed waaaaay low. Sounds like that might've been a good thing tho. I"ll check 'em out further.