Flying Lotus
Los Angeles

by Jared W. Dillon USER (118 Reviews)
August 12th, 2008 | 101 replies | 23,089 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: flying lotus' latest proves his strengths are still there.

For those who are familiar with Flying Lotus’ specific style of electronica, 'Los Angeles' can be marked simply as Steve Ellison's Warp record. Ellison has slowly been moving himself among the L.A. hip hop scene attempting to craft something that sounds like the meeting point of Aphex Twin and Madlib. Daedalus and Gaslamp Killer can also be seen as clear relations to FlyLo as they should considering all three artists are common performers in the L.A. music scene. '1983' represented a more clearer view of Ellison's take on instrumental hip-hop, 'Reset' was marked by the decision to move Flying Lotus into a more beat heavy existence, and with 'Los Angeles' we begin to see the artist reveling in the perceived intelligence of his label peers like Prefuse 73 and Autechre.

Opener 'Brainfeeder' shows clearly that this is going to be a different type of Flying Lotus record. Absolutely no percussion is used through the songs entire minute and a half length which seems daring for a producer who is known for his superbly crafted rhythms. The track is highlighted by the swirl of dynamic synths that help the second track 'Breath.Something/Stellar Star' slowly and perfectly shift in as a follow up. Noticeable about the first two tracks also is how deeply FlyLo has seemed to delve into his atmosphere. He is pressing for a more psychedelic feel and 'Breath' demonstrates this with synths that sound like wandering Theremins. 'Melt!' mixes chants with a very tribal drum feel and encompasses the influence it seems Bollywood has had on Ellison and 'Golden Diva' leaves an unremarkable impression of Boards of Canada. As the record reaches the midpoint it starts reaching for more rhythm based pieces. 'Riot' is a heavy bass aided track that uses steel drums and hand claps to create a massive low end. The song slowly evolves until the bass bridges into a seemingly random pattern as the drums around it come to a steadier beat. The track then leaves the more upbeat rhythm and concludes with a drifting synth barrage. 'GNG BNG' comes off as mix between the pioneering sounds of early New York DJs and Beat Konducta's recent forays. 'Parisian Goldfish' finishes off the trio of dance heavy tracks as FlyLo's most club based composition yet. As a whole the variety of sounds found on the record are what 'Los Angeles' success stems from with tracks as relaxing as 'Sexslaveship' before what seems like improvised vocals on 'Testament'. . 'Los Angeles' finishes off with a variety of vocal performances included a meet up with one of Ellison's early collaborators. ‘Los Angeles’ ends on a positive note with the simply beautiful 'Auntie's Lock/Infinitum' which is made even more luscious with a vocal performance from Laura Darlington. The track drifts the otherwise cluttered sonic palate into a serene and simple finish and I could not see the record ending any other way.

Flying Lotus has once again proved that he is an artist that can consistently reinvent himself and make his new sound just as effective as it was before. While I wouldn't say this record succeeds in providing the same level of consistent quality I think '1983' did, it is pretty hard to criticize 'Los Angeles' as anything other than a great record. Ellison's developments as always have entertained me enough that I'm willing to remain excited for his next release. Until then ‘Los Angeles’ remains as one of the best examples of “instrumental hip-hop” in 2008.

Pygmy Lush Old FriendsPharoahe Monch W.A.R.
My Disco Little JoyBlack Milk Album Of The Year
Sun Kil Moon Admiral Fell PromisesFlying Lotus Cosmogramma
Kevin Kurber (4.5)

great album, better than 1983 imo

August 12th 2008

The THIRD best instrumental hip hop / trip hop album of 2008.

Tyler
August 12th 2008

Album is really solid. Sometimes lacks flow but I'm getting over that every time I listen to it

Myrrhman
August 12th 2008

parisian goldfish has such an awesome break

Zebra

What a remarkable album.

Apocalyptic Raids
August 14th 2008

so far this is my favourite album of '08, gng bng and parisian goldfish are the highlights for me. i think it's better than 1983.

could go up to a 4.5This Message Edited On 08.14.08

August 30th 2008

Late to the punch on a sick artist again

August 30th 2008

Bringing up a new pitchfork review again

August 30th 2008

It's just funny how many sputnik staff-repped albums are finally surfacing on pitchfork.

August 30th 2008

both got it right, this album completely rules

P13
August 31st 2008

digging this right now

rid
September 24th 2008

LOVE this.

IsItLuck?
October 14th 2008

really really awesome album. Better than Blue Sky Black Death and Metaform.

plane
October 30th 2008

IsItLuck?
November 30th 2008

Beginners Falafel

December 8th 2008

I was writing up my blurb for this album and came to this review and stumbled across that falafel post and just started dying of hunger.

PunkItUp
December 17th 2008

wow that is one big paragraph!

Prophet178
September 5th 2009

This dudes live set was in-fucking-credible. He should release a live cd/dvd because it kills all his studio work.

Tits McGee